SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-11, 06:03 AM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default Umm just found many rootkits on my PC

And now I realized many sites are inaccessible for me. Yahoo, BIS forum and WoT server among others. Some load so slow.

I'm hoping it's my ISP but I may have been hacked again. It's been couple months running smooth.

Edit: Just changed DNS server and now everything is back okay. My ISP DNS server must be farked.

Some sites still won't load though like BIS forum.

I think I may have been hacked again. Sfc scan reported all is fine. AV scan reported all is now clear. But some sites just won't load at all.

Changing DNS server fixed the yahoo problem for me but not the rest of the sites.

Even google laods so slow now. I'm still hoping it's my ISP DNS server.

I just scanned yesterday with AV and it was all clean so quite a surprise to find many rootkits today.

Last edited by Castout; 04-30-11 at 06:44 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 07:05 AM   #2
Castout
Silent Hunter

Scanned with Hijack this and all entries are clear.

I tend to suspect my ISP DNS server or my govt is trying out new internet filtering.

But I haven't ruled out that my PC has been hacked or infested though sfc scan, AV scan(Spyware scan and AV scan) and HijactTHis scan all reports clear now.

Many sites I frequently visit now are inaccessible. Can't play world of tanks too now.
Old 04-30-11, 07:52 AM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Just gave the ISP a call and what a relief to hear them saying that the problem lies with their DNS server and they are working on it.
Old 04-30-11, 08:24 AM   #4
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

you like get hacked every two days!
have you wondered why this always happens?

maybe you should try this:
http://www.tenable.com/products/nessus

BTW, with dns problems, try modifying the host files, include the ip addresses of the sites you commonly go on
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 11:11 AM   #5
jumpy
Admiral

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Just gave the ISP a call and what a relief to hear them saying that the problem lies with their DNS server and they are working on it.
have a similar issue with my isp - their dns servers/new ip range are not listed *somewhere* and as a result certain web pages are not able to load, correctly or at all. Something to do with the destination website ip records not being updated by the host... not much you can do really.

when you’ve been so long in the desert, any water, no matter how brackish, looks like life

jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 05:07 PM   #6
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Maybe Linux is for you castout. just use windows for gaming and linux for internet

Linux Redhat, Centros are the best security web sever distros where SuSe or Ubuntu are the best desktop distros according to this geek. Ive tried Ubuntu and Redhat in the past both are great security is top notch.

Whats the best Linux for Desktop or WebServer? WHM Cpanel Web Hosting Security tips.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 11:54 PM   #7
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy View Post
have a similar issue with my isp - their dns servers/new ip range are not listed *somewhere* and as a result certain web pages are not able to load, correctly or at all. Something to do with the destination website ip records not being updated by the host... not much you can do really.
You might want to try an alternate DNS. There's quite a few public ones to choose from, so if you're interested, take a look at the following doc:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 05:34 AM   #8
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Maybe Linux is for you castout. just use windows for gaming and linux for internet

Linux Redhat, Centros are the best security web sever distros where SuSe or Ubuntu are the best desktop distros according to this geek. Ive tried Ubuntu and Redhat in the past both are great security is top notch.

Whats the best Linux for Desktop or WebServer? WHM Cpanel Web Hosting Security tips.

Good idea,

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 05:40 AM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the suggestion Frank I don't think I'm going to switch OS anytime soon from windows.

Changing DNS in windows only rectified problem with yahoo and everything else which was inaccessible remained inaccessible.

Today everything works pretty smooth though. Had a disconnect or two when playing World of tanks but that's about it.
Old 05-01-11, 10:00 AM   #10
jumpy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish In The Water View Post
You might want to try an alternate DNS. There's quite a few public ones to choose from, so if you're interested, take a look at the following doc:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
I'll have a look at that.

I've tried google and opendns before now and logged them in my router.
The results have been somewhat erratic: speeds and ping being effected badly or not at all.
Last time I used opendns it doubled my ping to a uk server and made browsing impossible - click on web page, then go and make cup of tea whilst it is loading.
I've had all sorts of diagnostic things to test, and came to the conclusion that the best thing to do would be to get the telephone dropline replaced to reduce noise on the line, but BT charge really stupid money for such things. As for the dns issue, well, sometimes ff 'cannot load page' so I just click again 3 or 4 times and usually there's no problem. 90% of the time it's ok, but I think most of my broadband problems stem from the infrastructure outside the house - noise margins vary depending on weather and time of day.
The ip range thing is down to the website I'm trying to connect to; my isp forwards the appropriate information, but it's up to the host to apply the list. At least that's the explanation I was given.

when you’ve been so long in the desert, any water, no matter how brackish, looks like life

Old 05-02-11, 04:25 AM   #11
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Quote:
I've tried google and opendns before now and logged them in my router.
Probably a silly question, but have you tried bypassing the router to see if the results are any better with a direct connection?

Quote:
I've had all sorts of diagnostic things to test, and came to the conclusion that the best thing to do would be to get the telephone dropline replaced to reduce noise on the line, but BT charge really stupid money for such things.
I've had similar experiences in the past. Often times 'weathering' or even normal atmospheric conditions can cause temporal interference which effects certain broadband frequencies.

In a case like this the modems will often 'sync' initially but then suffer periodic outages while attempting to 'resync.' From this distance, it sounds as though you may be experiencing something along these lines.

As far as ridiculous charges go, I'm right with you there as I recently tried to switch to ADSL but then quickly reverted due to excessive costs beyond the demarcation point.

Quote:
The ip range thing is down to the website I'm trying to connect to; my isp forwards the appropriate information, but it's up to the host to apply the list. At least that's the explanation I was given.
I sincerely hope that's the case as opposed to the ISP simply blaming someone else for the lack of service.

With the problematic websites, have you tried bypassing the DNS in favour of the actual IP range instead? If not, you can give it a try by clicking on: Start -> Run -> cmd -> nslookup [WebsiteName.com]

Click the enter key to get the ip range and then type in 'exit' (and hit enter) to close the command prompt.

Once you've got the numerical ip address, try entering it directly into your browser's URL bar. Worth a try, and if you get lucky - it might even make a difference.
Old 05-03-11, 10:57 AM   #12
jumpy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish In The Water View Post
Probably a silly question, but have you tried bypassing the router to see if the results are any better with a direct connection?
I don't think that's an option with my setup, unless you mean disabling the hardware firewall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish In The Water
I sincerely hope that's the case as opposed to the ISP simply blaming someone else for the lack of service.

With the problematic websites, have you tried bypassing the DNS in favour of the actual IP range instead? If not, you can give it a try by clicking on: Start -> Run -> cmd -> nslookup [WebsiteName.com]

Click the enter key to get the ip range and then type in 'exit' (and hit enter) to close the command prompt.

Once you've got the numerical ip address, try entering it directly into your browser's URL bar. Worth a try, and if you get lucky - it might even make a difference.
I've spent some time messing about with (for want of a better description) 'rebooting' the dns/ip settings through the run command, tracert and other config settings, attempting to get the correct mtu value etc.
I've bookmarked the information pages somewhere lol but in the end I decided I don't really know or understand enough about it to continue to meddle lots

huh, Tomorrows World* said computers would usher in an age of dalliance and ease whist computers and technology removed the stress and mundane grind of life and work... who'd have thought it would just make life even more frantic at home and at work?
They said we were supposed to be living on the moon and wearing clothes made of tinfoil by now - I am disappoint.

* bbc kids science and technology program

Old 05-03-11, 02:53 PM   #13
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

Quote:
They said we were supposed to be living on the moon and wearing clothes made of tinfoil by now - I am disappoint.
Fear not! For I have been wearing tinfoil clothing for several years now.

Now the problem of getting to the moon...

Word of advice: You only wear tinfoil clothing once in a thunderstorm.
Old 05-04-11, 12:34 AM   #14
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Quote:
I don't think that's an option with my setup, unless you mean disabling the hardware firewall?

I've bookmarked the information pages somewhere lol but in the end I decided I don't really know or understand enough about it to continue to meddle lots
Fair enough, probably best not to mess about with it then.

Quote:
huh, Tomorrows World* said computers would usher in an age of dalliance and ease whist computers and technology removed the stress and mundane grind of life and work... who'd have thought it would just make life even more frantic at home and at work?
Very true, computers like most 'modern conveniences' were largely sold on the premise of being time savers. While technically true (in theory at least), the end result (in actual practice), is people's lives are busier then ever.

Yes a computer can perform routine tasks much faster than a person, but when you factor in all the technical glitches, downtime and troubleshooting, - I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be faster to do it the old fashioned way.
Old 05-11-11, 11:42 AM   #15
danny0085
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Best linux distro

This article might help you to decide what is the best linux distro for you
danny0085 is offline   Reply With Quote