SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-10, 06:53 PM   #1
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134
Uploads: 0
Default webcam/Router access issue

My wireless router and camera work great. I made the local side of the router 133.204.122.226. I assigned a static IP for the camera 133.204.122.198. The camera is wireless. I can access the camera fine from any of my 3 computers on the network.

My router on the broadband cable internet side has been assigned an IP of
xx.xxx.xxx.xxx by the cable company and is of course DHCP.

The problem is that if anyone in the world types in the IP address of the router assigned by DHCP by the cable co. they are viewing my webcam.
I can assign a username and password to protect myself if I want, but it appears to easy to access this. Is this the normal way it works? Maybe I do not want the webcam in my bedroom to be accessed by the outside world. I thought that to access the webcam one would have to type in the local static IP I assigned the camera, but that is not the case.

I hear of people having all types of problems accessing their camera from another location, but this appears too easy in my case.

I think this is not set up properly. Hoping that someone has a better way to go rather than typing in mmy internet IP which is always viewable from anyone out there.........Shipsrus
Ships-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 07:17 PM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Ships - your set up in the "standard" way - a simple username/pw to access. The standard isn't always the best option though, obviously. What it looks like is that your router already has what is called a "port forward" for the static IP of the camera. This means that if I hit your external IP address of the port used for web surfing (HTTP: port 80) than the router auto forwards the packets to the IP camera, which then asks for the authentication.

Other than a significantly strong password, there are 2 steps you can take. The first is to configure the camera so that it doesn't use port 80. Use a random port that isn't a common use one.

(Common use port list can be found here: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers )

I would say use something between between 50,000 and 51,000. Just pick one. Then set the camera to use that port (should be in the config of the camera itself) - and then set your router to forward requests on that port to the IP camera. Once you do this - if someone punches in the IP only - they won't see your camera. They have to use XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:port number - and the majority of script kiddies won't even go that far. This way, only people you give the port number to are likely to be able to even SEE your device as being there, must less authenticate to it.

Lastly, its a question of if you have a set group you want to allow access to. If so, then in your router, you define those folks as able to request data from outside - usually via IP. Though it can be spoofed, its another layer. The problem is that if the people you want to share with are not on static IP's - you will struggle keeping the access list up to date.

Hope that helps some.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 07:33 PM   #3
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134
Default Thank-You

Thanks for your very timely and most helpful reply. It took you a while to type that out, and you made it easy to understand. Great. Tonite after dinner I can have fun playing with it and going that route.

Last edited by Ships-R-Us; 02-03-10 at 08:00 PM.
Ships-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote