SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-09, 02:02 PM   #1
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default So you're staying with XP are you?

I just wonder if MS is devoting more time to other projects now and this rating system will effect XP more in the future of updates..

Quote:
Microsoft late last week said it won't patch Windows XP for a pair of bugs it quashed Sept. 8 in Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...hes_for_you_XP
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 03:41 PM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

No surprise, with MS dropping support for XP in the near future. I'm sure I have some e-mails from MS detailing when exactly, but it's not like I can find what I'm looking for.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 06:59 PM   #3
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

I intend to just step from my XP straight to Win 7 ( after replacing orig. hardware ). Am at present running XP with a 6 year old ASUS mb and 3 gigs ram. Have new ASUS M3N78 PRO PCIe mb, 4 GB ram, 680 watt PCIe PS, AMD 9500 Phenom X4 64 processor, GF 9600 OCE 512mb PCIe ready to transfer to full tower ( Alienware ) that I'm now using. also might as well replace all five external fans ( three intake, two exhaust. ) But I'll be Damned if I'll ever use Vista.

Now if somewhere along the line Ole Uncle Bill screws up Win 7, kicks out Xp and forces Vista ( be just like him ), then I know of a couple buyers. There are other things in life other than a computer.
Old 09-15-09, 07:11 PM   #4
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate View Post
I intend to just step from my XP straight to Win 7 ( after replacing orig. hardware ).
Same here. I'm currently running XP on a partly broken notebook and am going to replace it - though all the new ones have Vista installed by default
Vista is a real mess - I know it from my housemates, colleagues, my dad, and whatnot. First thing I'm going to do with the new notebook is to de-install Vista, install XP and have it replaced by Windows 7 as soon as it hits the shelves (or the upgrade option takes effect, that is). Vista has been an utter failure in my eyes
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 07:32 PM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
There are other things in life other than a computer.
Is that possible, give example!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 11:43 PM   #6
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Is that possible, give example!!

Yes there are other things in life other than a computer.
I can sit in my chair and relax, I can walk to the store, park,woods,etc.
I can eat my food with out the use of a computer. I can walk/ride a bike to the lake/river and pick a spot by myself and fish and never need the use of a computer. I do not need the use of a computer to eat my foods.

Just a very few examples in life of where a computer is not needed even though somewhere down the path they were some how mfg by a computer but I did not need it's use at the time.

Some of you people really need to get out from eyeballing that PC/Laptop and relax. There's a whole world out there that does not require the use of a computer.

Yeah I know, some of you reading this probably think: What, and leave my cellphone behind???

Meanwhile as I said in my first post:
"Now if somewhere along the line Ole Uncle Bill screws up Win 7, kicks out Xp and forces Vista ( be just like him ), then I know of a couple buyers."

And that's exactly what I meant.
Old 09-16-09, 04:36 AM   #7
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0

I kept used Win98SE three years into the XP age. I think i will follow a similar path, maybe shorter, with Win7 (Vista is not on the horizon for me...)
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 05:52 AM   #8
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

@ Elder-Pirate: I tried to leave the house but I lost my nerve, I actually turned the door knob, but when it made a click noise, I couldn't take it anymore, I had to go and sit down with a cup of coffee in front of the computer, that settled my nerves, I will give it another go tomorrow, mind you even the thought of that is turning my legs to jelly .... I must be stronger!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 07:32 AM   #9
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

What I plan on doing is getting my daughters XP computer up to Windows 7 and my Vista Computer up to 7 as well. I'm looking for the deal were you have say 3 licenses on the OS disk so I only have to by one 7 OS disk. If not, I will stay with Vista on my computer. Really, I have no issue with Vista at all. I will then just move my kids computer up to 7.
Old 09-16-09, 09:25 AM   #10
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
What I plan on doing is getting my daughters XP computer up to Windows 7 and my Vista Computer up to 7 as well. I'm looking for the deal were you have say 3 licenses on the OS disk so I only have to by one 7 OS disk. If not, I will stay with Vista on my computer. Really, I have no issue with Vista at all. I will then just move my kids computer up to 7.
I'm looking into the Open Licenses agreement where I work and the savings isn't much. It might be better if the numbers where higher.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 09:50 AM   #11
Arclight
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I'd just get 2 1-user disks. Saves 175,- bucks (120,-E for single user Win7 Professional, 360,- for triple-user here).

Old 09-16-09, 10:02 AM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

To be honest I have not looked into cost yet. So we will see. I just might keep the XP machine and get my girls a new machine with 7. I will leave my Vista machine be for a while. Really, it runs great and I see no reason to rush out for a new OS.
Old 09-16-09, 11:22 AM   #13
Arclight
Navy Seal

Win7 isn't that far from Vista, really. I doubt anyone would regret an upgrade from XP to Win7, but going from Vista to Win7 doesn't seem "necessary". From what I hear, they did a proper job getting Vista into shape, and support will be continuing for a while.

Old 09-16-09, 11:32 AM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I have less trouble with Vista these days than XP. Oh well. One day I just know I will be bored and go get 7 to fill some bored time
Old 09-16-09, 11:57 AM   #15
Arclight
Navy Seal

Hammer a lemonade stand together and have the girls sell refreshing drinks untill the profit amounts to a copy of Win7. Keeps them busy and you get a new toy to fight boredom.

Might have to wait till next summer to pull that of though.