SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-09, 09:37 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default Skipping Vista

Interesting!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4109

Quote:
Despite the fact that Windows 7 is almost cooked, a leaked Microsoft memo suggests that XP may live on past its May 30, 2009 retirement date.

The leaked internal memo outlines how Microsoft will grant HP the right to continue to downgrading Vista systems to XP. The memo does however go on too suggest that HP should be clear with customers about support:
It’s important to remind customers that Microsoft are still planning to retire XP Pro Mainstream support on April 14, 2009 and will only provide OS security updates beyond that date unless the customer has an Extended Hotfix Support contract. MS Extended Support for XP Pro ends on April 8th, 2014.
Unconfirmed rumors go further and suggest that Microsoft will allow HP to ship XP until April 30, 2010. If this XP extension has being granted to HP, it will almost certainly be extended to other OEMs.

It is worth bearing in mind that the EULA for both Vista Business and Ultimate allow users to downgrade, so this will remain in effect for the entire lifetime of the OS.

With Windows XP still commanding a 63% market share, netbook popularity continuing to rise, and Windows 7 still several months away, Microsoft needs an OS to cater for those who won’t touch Vista with a 20 foot pole. Rather than give those folks an excuse to look at Linux, it’s in Microsoft’s interests to continue to make XP seem relevant. That said, since downgrade rights exist for Business and Ultimate, as well as volume licensing customers, I think that all this leaked memo is about is making sure that OEMs remind customers of the support implications of choosing to downgrade from Vista.

XP is the OS that won't die!

But this is going to seriously derail my strategy

http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/news/2009/04/07/Windows-7-Will-Downgrade-To-But-Not-Upgrade-From-XP/p1

Quote:
Hopefully it's not too late to ask Microsoft to reverse this...

In a classic case of not giving the public what they way, the Redmond giant has today confirmed that Windows 7 users will be able to downgrade their operating systems to Windows XP, but XP users will be unable to upgrade to Windows 7.

Speaking on its Windows 7 blog, the team confirmed: "Many have asked about upgrading from Windows XP. There's no change here to the plan as has been discussed on many forums. We realized at the start of this project that the "upgrade" from XP would not be an experience we think would yield the best results. There are simply too many changes in how PCs have been configured (applets, hardware support, driver model, etc.) that having all of that support carry forth to Windows 7 would not be nearly as high quality as a clean install."

Jeez, the stupid MS tricks continue....
Old 04-07-09, 10:05 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

If mainboard and CPU live on over here, I will be a happy XP customer until 2014.
Old 04-07-09, 10:07 AM   #3
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Having used the W7 beta quite a lot I don't see any reasons to stay with XP after it comes out. Unless your PC is really really old there's no reason not to upgrade, and even then W7 would probably run better on it than XP.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 10:21 AM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I agree with Neal, sneaky deal with the XP downgrade and not being able to get the 7 upgrade. . In my minds eye, MS keeps downing their own OS called Vista by pulling things like downgrading to XP and wait for 7 that we will charge you for. It makes no sense. I agree with Fincuan, no reason to stay with XP in my view either. Vista runs fine for me and I suspect 7 will be better. However, 7 would have to really show me something to spend my money on it. So far, I see no reason for me to go to 7.
Old 04-07-09, 11:59 AM   #5
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan View Post
Having used the W7 beta quite a lot I don't see any reasons to stay with XP after it comes out. Unless your PC is really really old there's no reason not to upgrade, and even then W7 would probably run better on it than XP.

Except for all that pesky incompatibility stuff.
Old 04-07-09, 12:17 PM   #6
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
Except for all that pesky incompatibility stuff.

I have read quite a few with that issue. It is still beta but even so, I suspect incompatibility will happen even after release.
Old 04-07-09, 12:54 PM   #7
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If mainboard and CPU live on over here, I will be a happy XP customer until 2014.
Well said.
I'll keep xp as long as the hardware/software supports it. And if I really need to boost my ego with a computer having 8 GB of ram I'll get xp 64.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 01:29 PM   #8
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

DUAL BOOT and have both for ALL your gameing needs.

A no-brainer.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 01:58 PM   #9
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

So you should purchase your system with Vista, Dual boot to your old copy of XP, then upgrade from Vista to W7. Was that your plan Neal??...

This story just keeps getting better...
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 02:08 PM   #10
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

I'm a hardhead. If you can't afford the software for this hobby.

You shouldn't buy the hardware.

This is to no one in particular.

Old 04-07-09, 02:52 PM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Actually, I was going to skip over Vista completely. I have it on my laptop, but for gaming I was not planning to messing with it.

I guess I can get Win 7 without upgrading.... honestly, I don't know what Vista or Win 7 can do for me that XP doesn't already do, at half the system resouces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post
So you should purchase your system with Vista, Dual boot to your old copy of XP, then upgrade from Vista to W7. Was that your plan Neal??...

This story just keeps getting better...
Old 04-07-09, 03:03 PM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Actually, I was going to skip over Vista completely. I have it on my laptop, but for gaming I was not planning to messing with it.

I guess I can get Win 7 without upgrading.... honestly, I don't know what Vista or Win 7 can do for me that XP doesn't already do, at half the system resouces...

The only thing that Vista can do frustrate is the user. Getting used to Vista takes a bit. Honestly, 64 bit in both XP and Vista are about it as far as I can tell that allows full use of 8 gig of RAM. Eye candy for Vista. Some new goodies but nothing I really use. I do use the Windows Live Mail. I would suspect over time XP would not support some new things. For example, Office 2003 needs updates now to support anything sent to me from someone using Office 2007, even so, it can still look odd using the 2003 compatability update for office. Do not quote me but I think XP does not support Windows Live Mail which is basically MS Outlook that is to take a back seat to the Windows Live Mail. Things of that nature that bascially force the user to upgrade eventually. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't
Old 04-07-09, 03:32 PM   #13
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

In a work enviorment I'll be honest I don't have a clue which is better.

In gameing thats another matter.

I play Sims exclusively. Sub, Flying, Racing and such.

All Silent Hunter series will play on XP and with a little hassle SH3 & SH4 plays fine on Vista.

I as well as others play SH2 and DT and won't be shelveing them anytime soon.

Flying and Racing sims the same way.

XP is here to stay and,... Can and Will work right along side Vista\Win7

Dual Boot is the answer.

Old 04-07-09, 04:03 PM   #14
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
I'm a hardhead. If you can't afford the software for this hobby.

You shouldn't buy the hardware.

This is to no one in particular.
Bull****, I don't care for windows Vista or 7 or whatever else comes out of Redmond. Doesn't mean that I can't have a great computer and develop and run freeware and or open source programs.
If you're happy with the redmond carot hanging in front of you go ahead and upgrade your hardware/software on microsft's whim every time.
For myself I've stepped down from the microsoft train. Xp and xp 64 for me. After that bye bye MS. And contrary to many I won't miss anything since I already run over 90% open source software.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 04:16 PM   #15
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
In a work enviorment I'll be honest I don't have a clue which is better.

In gameing thats another matter.

I play Sims exclusively. Sub, Flying, Racing and such.

All Silent Hunter series will play on XP and with a little hassle SH3 & SH4 plays fine on Vista.

I as well as others play SH2 and DT and won't be shelveing them anytime soon.

Flying and Racing sims the same way.

XP is here to stay and,... Can and Will work right along side Vista\Win7

Dual Boot is the answer.