SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-22, 10:12 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jacobsen View Post
I approached at night. I tried to pass the shore batteries with my decks awash, but I was detected and gunned. I slipped back down to PD and crept along in the shallows at 3 knots. The deeper water was tempting, but I figured my adversaries would expect that. So in I crept with about 17 feet below my keel. I reached the drop-off around 0300, surfaced, backed full, stopped, and set off the agent. Unfortunately, my crew must have forget to throw off the lines because the raft kept banging into the hull when I was backing slowly.

I soon moved ahead at 1 knot, turning to port to reverse course, and he paddled away. Insertion completed. I'm now hugging the coast again in the shallows to get the hell out of Dodge.

I am down to 3 fish, having sunk 29605 tons on the way here (nighttime convoy attack was a major payday), so I'm heading back to Brisbane for fresh fish and a few drops of Nelson's blood for my crew. There's a fat convoy close by to starboard, but I'm in no position to escape if I launch my remaining torps.
Sounds like fun! When dropping the idiots with the steel rafts, if you hit them just right, they do have a tendency to blow-up into a large fireball. Rather interesting when they do... You do still get credit for the Objective completed though... Most of the drop zones do not have guns, thankfully, but some in the Stock game do send you into rather dangerous places, such as the Inland Sea... When doing drops, they always drop the boat on the starboard side. If you have the boat at about 1 or 2 knots ahead, such as Ahead One Third while submerged, and you give the boat 20 or more degrees to port, then ring-up All Stop, you boat will move away from the destructo beings, and they'll shove off noiselessly. You can also do a reverse speed, and to a rudder to starboard while backing slow and then ring-up All Stop. The raft will then get two or three guys in it (if doing supplies or commandoes), and then pass in front of your sub. rather strange... then they'll try to get run over by you as you attempt to exfiltrate... sigh - what's really fun is when you are trying to launch in really heavy seas, and the boat just arbitrarily blows-up right next to you, because of the sea state... at least you don't loose your eyebrows from it.

Of course, you do realize that we might get a thread-necro award for this...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 06:58 PM   #17
Rob Jacobsen
Mate

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Sorry, sir! I'm not very good at navigating this site!

BTW, after the successful insertion, I was hounded for 17 hours and finally pounded to death in the shallow chokepoint. Sigh.
Rob Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote