SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-08, 07:15 PM   #1
ustahl
Watch Officer

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0

Hi Rubini, and thanks for your prompt response.
From my SH3 days I know of your modding skills and thus realize that your technical knowledge is superior.
I have been blinded by the stunning visuals in SH4 that my above mentioned settings have given me so far, but your additional info tantalizes me to experiment some more with alternative settings. I just didn't think it possible there might be even better yet visuals in store for me with other ("lesser") settings.
Just like somebody else further above mentioned, I too thought that the highest possible/feasible settings would automatically give the best results. Now you made me think again, mate. For instance I did not know abt that 16xQ stuff you mentioned. I'm curious however, what I might lose in terms of transparency, if I go from SSAA to MSAA.:hmm:

As a sidenote, I haven't been playing SH3 (with GWX + several more mods) for some time, because the geometry is distorted on my 22" widescreen. With my earlier 21" CRT I virtually lived inside SH3. GWX 2 being out, is a hint for a fix in this context permitted in this SH4 thread?
Old 01-11-08, 08:04 PM   #2
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustahl
Hi Rubini, and thanks for your prompt response.
From my SH3 days I know of your modding skills and thus realize that your technical knowledge is superior.
I have been blinded by the stunning visuals in SH4 that my above mentioned settings have given me so far, but your additional info tantalizes me to experiment some more with alternative settings. I just didn't think it possible there might be even better yet visuals in store for me with other ("lesser") settings.
Just like somebody else further above mentioned, I too thought that the highest possible/feasible settings would automatically give the best results. Now you made me think again, mate. For instance I did not know abt that 16xQ stuff you mentioned. I'm curious however, what I might lose in terms of transparency, if I go from SSAA to MSAA.:hmm:

As a sidenote, I haven't been playing SH3 (with GWX + several more mods) for some time, because the geometry is distorted on my 22" widescreen. With my earlier 21" CRT I virtually lived inside SH3. GWX 2 being out, is a hint for a fix in this context permitted in this SH4 thread?
Well, at least i openned the exact same thread on Sh3 general forum too...take a look there for the same Sh3 issue.

I also have now a 26" wide LCD monitor. I´m yet able to play Sh3 in 4:3 even using this new monitor...at day light the image is soberb but...what is pissing me of is that the nights in LCD monitor are too dark and (if you just put more bright) the sea texture just isn´t good at night. I´m in the point that I will try to really make another ENV files (for night only) just to have better textures on a LCD pannel. Do you also have this "at night" colors/degrade problems/poor image on your LCD?:hmm:

Just a botton note: we in the GWX team already tried to port SH3 to a wide view (messing with the cameras FOV) but without success.
Old 02-18-08, 01:29 PM   #3
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
at day light the image is soberb but...what is pissing me of is that the nights in LCD monitor are too dark and (if you just put more bright) the sea texture just isn´t good at night. I´m in the point that I will try to really make another ENV files (for night only) just to have better textures on a LCD pannel. Do you also have this "at night" colors/degrade problems/poor image on your LCD?:hmm:

Just a botton note: we in the GWX team already tried to port SH3 to a wide view (messing with the cameras FOV) but without success.
Rubini...I have the same problem with my LCD (Dell 2001FP I bought like 3 yrs ago). The night is so dark I can barely see my WATCH OFFICER..let alone a ship 500+m in front of me. I have been begging for an alternative night time fix or SH3Commander fix for 2 yrs now...

And to change any settings for night, makes daytime look washed out and terrible.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 08:28 PM   #4
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Guess I don't much understand all that goes on here but here is some results of my Model T type computer.
I run an old Asus A7N8X Deluxe REV 2.0 MB, AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU, three 1 GB sticks of RAM ( 184-pin DIMM 128MX64 DDR PC3200 Unbuffered ) by "Crucial Tech", Seagate Baracuda 120 GB 8MB Cache Serial ATA HD, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 speaker system, WIN XP Home w/SP2, 550 watt power supply and a good ole Nvidia 7800 GS OC 256mb AGP 8X video card.

My AA is set at 4X, rest is application controled.

Results of the 84.21 ( recomended by BFG nvidia mfg. ) drivers are not to bad a sunset IMHO.

So why all the fuss about big bad video cards and top notch Nvidia drivers?
Old 01-11-08, 08:50 PM   #5
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate
Guess I don't much understand all that goes on here but here is some results of my Model T type computer.
I run an old Asus A7N8X Deluxe REV 2.0 MB, AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU, three 1 GB sticks of RAM ( 184-pin DIMM 128MX64 DDR PC3200 Unbuffered ) by "Crucial Tech", Seagate Baracuda 120 GB 8MB Cache Serial ATA HD, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 speaker system, WIN XP Home w/SP2, 550 watt power supply and a good ole Nvidia 7800 GS OC 256mb AGP 8X video card.

My AA is set at 4X, rest is application controled.

Results of the 84.21 ( recomended by BFG nvidia mfg. ) drivers are not to bad a sunset IMHO.

So why all the fuss about big bad video cards and top notch Nvidia drivers?
LOL
Thanks for the reply.
The problem is that some guys didn´t know about the max 4x AA for nvidia to avoid sun halo problems (again: at least on Sh3). BTW, i noticed that in your pic above you are missing some good image quality...yours wires lines are broken..this could be "fix" by using transparency SSAA for example. So this is just a crusade for the more perfect image that IMHO is one of the best things that these expensive cards have to offer for us, gamers.
Old 01-11-08, 10:58 PM   #6
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

I hope this thread keeps going so that folks can share their 'discoveries' of best settings for cards...
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 11:01 PM   #7
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

LOL
Thanks for the reply.
The problem is that some guys didn´t know about the max 4x AA for nvidia to avoid sun halo problems (again: at least on Sh3). BTW, i noticed that in your pic above you are missing some good image quality...yours wires lines are broken..this could be "fix" by using transparency SSAA for example. So this is just a crusade for the more perfect image that IMHO is one of the best things that these expensive cards have to offer for us, gamers.[/quote]

The lines you see broken are at quite a distance and during playing time you would never notice, unless you are really the rivet counter. Maybe you have those big dollars but I don't. I'll keep what I have and have just as a good game with plenty of eye candy as you.

Do you really tweak your computer down to the last bit just to see real life events? Doesn't make sense but what the hey everyone has their own way of doing things.

With all due respect you can have your Mercedes.

I'll keep my Chevy........er... Model T.

Have a good hunt Rubini.
Old 01-11-08, 11:27 PM   #8
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:

The lines you see broken are at quite a distance and during playing time you would never notice, unless you are really the rivet counter. Maybe you have those big dollars but I don't. I'll keep what I have and have just as a good game with plenty of eye candy as you.

Do you really tweak your computer down to the last bit just to see real life events? Doesn't make sense but what the hey everyone has their own way of doing things.

Have a good hunt Rubini.
LOL
No, I also don´t have money...i´m just a stubborn eye candy guy that was bought my last video card and rig almost 4 years ago. So, now with a shinning new rig...just imagine!
Old 01-15-08, 01:51 PM   #9
cmdrk
Planesman

Downloads: 3

Quote:
LOL

Based by the above screen shot, you need some AA or something. Doesn't look real at all. And those clouds, -----------------
cmdrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 03:34 PM   #10
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

ATI R9800 Pro, driver 7.12, during 5...6 sec:

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 05:22 PM   #11
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrk
Quote:
LOL

Based by the above screen shot, you need some AA or something. Doesn't look real at all. And those clouds, -----------------

Wadda want for a 1941 Brownie box camera with Kodak color deluxe film ( brand new film for 1941 ). :rotfl:
Old 01-15-08, 06:38 PM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Marvelous shot, Anvart!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 03:40 PM   #13
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
LOL
Thanks for the reply.
The problem is that some guys didn´t know about the max 4x AA for nvidia to avoid sun halo problems (again: at least on Sh3). BTW, i noticed that in your pic above you are missing some good image quality...yours wires lines are broken..this could be "fix" by using transparency SSAA for example. So this is just a crusade for the more perfect image that IMHO is one of the best things that these expensive cards have to offer for us, gamers.

The specs of my pc are,
Geforce 260 gtx
driver 178.24 (best driver that works)
Intel i7 processor.
Vista 64bit.

Tried Nhancer but i can`t install it by the driver version.

I also get these broken lines. What i try i can`t solve this matter.

Do someone have an idea?

Last edited by java`s revenge; 11-08-09 at 03:57 PM.
java`s revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:24 PM   #14
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Either force anti-aliasing through Nvidia CP or nHancer, shouldn't really matter (does the same thing).

Considering it's an older driver, nHancer should work fine with it. Maybe try older build.

178.24 best that works? Surely there's something more up-to-date? Give the 182.xx releases a try if you haven't already.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 07:51 AM   #15
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97

Okay,
I have updated the nvidia driver to version 195.39 installed the last
version of nhancer and followed the steps on this forum.

Here is the screenshot.

Or is it normal these broken lines?