SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-07, 11:21 PM   #16
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb
Ugh, I tried reading "Crush Depth" and I couldn't get past page 25. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was utterly unbelievable.
It was unbelievable...embarrassingly so. He makes the mistake a lot of writers make who have little or no experience in speculative fiction. He thinks coming up with an idea without any grounding in economic or political reality is good enough. It's not.

I finished Crush Depth, and I have to admit I liked the battles between the subs and I was interested to see his concern about the ecological damage a war of this type would inflict on the world's oceans. But from a political standpoint the framework he posits for this "future war" is laughable. The biggest howler: The people of America, now at war with France and South Africa, listen to music from WWII because of the nostalgiac quality. Puh-leeze. That's not only bad extrapolation that's downright lazy plotting and little more than a passing nod (if that) at world building.

But if you could overlook all that, the writing itself both technically and grammatically was pretty good, as were the depth of personal characterizations throughout the book. A nice change from the typical "machine is character" thrust we so often see in technological novels of this type.

I won't ever read another Joe Buff novel. One was enough. But it's not because he's a terrible writer...it's because the universal conflict he posits simply would never occur, and it really shatters the suspension of disbelief.

p.s. And fer Gawd's sake, don't even get me started on Clancy....
My first thought was "Dear Lord....the Boers? Are you kidding me?" LAFF! :rotfl:
Old 05-27-07, 12:26 AM   #17
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

books are boring, books in here are exciting!
Lagger123987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 12:31 AM   #18
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger123987
books are boring, books in here are exciting!
somthing is not right in this centence :hmm:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 11:49 PM   #19
torpedochief
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Default Try my Novel

You could always give my novel a try OF ICE AND STEEL. Soon to be a motion picutre. There is a review of the book on this site, or visit my site www.oficeandsteel,com or take a look at the movie trailer on YOUTUBE.

Best,

D. Clayton Meadows MMC/SS (Ret.)
Author of OF ICE AND STEEL and EPITAPH
Old 05-28-07, 08:00 AM   #20
The Avon Lady
Über Mom

Downloads: 5

My reading pattern on subs has coincided with the game I'm playing. For SH3, there's a wealth of material on the web that kept me reading for hours.

Now that I've just started playing SH4, I need to switch over to the Silent Service. While there are some very good sites out there, they don't provide the same vast wealth of uboat material available online.

I just ordered US Submarines 1941-45 for elementary quick reading reference. I also ordered the DVD Submarines: The Silent Service in World War II.

Now, if I could only stop humming the SH3 theme song when I'm playing SH4. It's tough to switch over!

"Victory will come to us from the wombs of our women."
- Houari Boumedienne, President of Algeria, Speech before the UN, 1974
The Avon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:22 AM   #21
trainman786
Nub

Downloads: 0

Two other books I would recommend are "Take Her Deep" by Admiral I. J. "Pete" Galantin, and "Shinano" by Captain Joseph Enright.

The first book deals with the war patrols of the USS Halibut while under Admiral (then Commander) Galantin's command. The second book is about the sinking of the Japanese super-carrier Shinano by Captain Enright and the crew of the USS Archer-fish.

Both are excellent reads.

Jim