SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-07, 05:32 AM   #1
jordan_76
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What's the last book you read?

What's the last book you read? What was it about? Did you like it?
jordan_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 09:12 AM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Last book I read was Stephen Bungay's 'The Most Dangerous Enemy, a history of the Battle of Britain' (ISBN 1-85410-801-8). This is an astonishingly good book and very highly recommended, as it makes a genuine attempt to look at that battle, the run up to it, as well as its aftermath, in a fresh and insightful manner. It goes a long way towards blowing a lot of the myths about this battle out of the water, myths which many other books on the subject simply trot out and perpetuate. Quite simply an excellent read, and I have no doubt that this book will come to be regarded as the standard work on this subject, it really is that good.

Apparently Bungay has been asked by his publisher to work on another title related to the Battle of Britain, concentrating on details of personnel, equipment and airfields, and if The Most Dangerous Enemy is anything to go by, I'll be ordering his next book on the day it comes out!

Prior to reading Bungay's book, I read Deborah Lake's 'Smoke and Mirrors, Q-ships against the U-Boats in the First World War' (ISBN 0-7509-4605-9). This too is a good read, and probably more 'up the street' of most Subsim people than a book on the Battle of Britain. Lake's book is again another well researched study, and is interesting in that it also covers a great deal of the story of submarine development prior to WW1. Anyone interested in the development of U-Boats and tactics and the subsequent battle to find ways to defeat them will find this a worthwhile read.

Chock
Old 07-03-07, 12:25 AM   #3
joseph60
Nub

Default Re:What's the last book you read?

I am currently reviewing books on New York most happening and travel stories. I found a few interesting books at Amazon.com

I’m pleasantly surprised by the book “Tales of a New York Limo Driver” by Nicky Testaforte, I am really liking this Book . Sex, Excess and Stupidity on Four Wheels... glimpse some excerpt . Down to the earth, so far it has my interest.
joseph60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 05:59 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm finally on the last book of the Dumas Malone six-volume biography Jefferson And His Time.

Vol 1) Jefferson The Virginian
Vol 2) Jefferson And The Rights Of Man
Vol 3) Jefferson And The Ordeal Of Liberty
Vol 4) Jefferson The President: First Term
Vol 5) Jefferson The President: Second Term
Vol 6) The Sage Of Monticello

All told about 4000 pages.
Old 07-03-07, 06:21 PM   #5
blue3golf
Weps

"Hitlers Secret Headquarters." It covered all of his FHQ's from his Sonderzug to FHQ Riese and everything in between. Got some technical layouts but was mostly about what happened while he was there and how they came to be. Not bad, purely informational.
blue3golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 07:07 PM   #6
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

At War At Sea by Ronald H Spector. Ironically enough, I should have a review coming pretty soon...:rotfl:
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:15 PM   #7
wireman
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Don't know. haven't gotten to it yet.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote