SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-13, 04:39 AM   #1
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Default Military Souvenirs

RAN Lieutenant's rank slide

We were in Canberra one night, and my Mum got talking with a man who turned out to be a submariner in the Royal Australian Navy. He gave me his rank slides as a gift (he'd recently been promoted, I think), and I gave one to my brother.

Bullet of unknown calibre

I bought this at a museum. I put the ruler next to it because I'd like to know its calibre.

Last edited by Cybermat47; 03-07-13 at 03:51 PM.
Cybermat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 07:16 AM   #2
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Bullet of unknown calibre

I bought this at a museum. I put the ruler next to it because I'd like to know its calibre.
Post a picture of the bottom of the thing or post what it says. They usually say on there. It looks pretty big but too small to be a 20mm. I'm thinking maybe .50 or something similar.
Old 03-07-13, 08:59 AM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Just using local control, the round appears to be about .50 in diameter. The total length of the cartridge of about 5.5 inches also checks out.

However, there are many variations of .50 rounds out there. Are there any markings on the base where the primer is located? That would help identify the exact round mod.

A suggestion: If you are going to use a ruler, you should align the end of the object with the "0" mark and not the end of the ruler.
Old 03-07-13, 08:59 AM   #4
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Grandpa's WW2 ammo pouch:

I've also got the Mauser rifle he brought back, but that's in the closet and I don't feel like digging it out. In beautiful condition, though.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 10:34 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
RAN Leftenant's rank slide
You may pronounce it "Leftenant" but the correct spelling is still the French "Lieutenant".

Quote:
Bullet of unknown calibre.
I bought this at a museum. I put the ruler next to it because I'd like to know its calibre
All you have to do is measure it the other way. "Calibre" is the term for the diameter of the bullet.

I agree with Platapus. A simple cross-measure take with my pen shows it to be precisely 1/2", or .50 cal., or 12.5mm.
Old 03-07-13, 01:07 PM   #6
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I agree with Platapus. A simple cross-measure take with my pen shows it to be precisely 1/2", or .50 cal., or 12.5mm.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Lets hope not, as "precisely" the round should measure 12.95mm (0.51 inches) in diameter.

It is the gun that fires this round that is precisely 12.5mm in caliber not the other way around. (snicker)

It would be more correct to say that the bullet is approximately 12.5mm in diameter.

(and I wonder why I have not friends and no one likes to talk to me)

Hey! you think it is easy being a pompous prick? It takes years of practice.... alone.
Old 03-07-13, 03:34 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Lets hope not, as "precisely" the round should measure 12.95mm (0.51 inches) in diameter.
A 0.51" round wouldn't fit a 0.5" barrel. Perhaps you meant 0.49", or 12.45mm?

Quote:
Hey! you think it is easy being a pompous prick? It takes years of practice.... alone.
And a few more years to get it right.
Old 03-07-13, 03:53 PM   #8
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
You may pronounce it "Leftenant" but the correct spelling is still the French "Lieutenant".
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Are there any markings on the base where the primer is located? That would help identify the exact round mod.
It says ADI 01. Mean anything?
Old 03-07-13, 04:36 PM   #9
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
It says ADI 01. Mean anything?
It means it was manufactured by these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_Australia

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 05:02 PM   #10
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
A 0.51" round wouldn't fit a 0.5" barrel. Perhaps you meant 0.49", or 12.45mm?
Actually it will fit quite nicely. With a little help from the propellent. A .50 cal gun barrel is 12.5 mm between the lands. The distance between the groves is closer to 12.95

As the 12.95 bullet is propelled through the slightly smaller 12.5 Land diameter, the lands cut into the bullet and impart the spin.

That's why a spent bullet has groves. The lands need to be of a slightly smaller diameter then the bullet. Other wise no rifling.
Old 03-07-13, 05:16 PM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Well I'm certainly learning something here because my firearms instructor on MP5 training only ever fed me 'live' magazines.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 05:45 PM   #12
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

How was the MP5 to shoot?
Old 03-07-13, 06:24 PM   #13
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

I've got a bunch of various military items.

I've got tons of bags...including a Helicopter Pilot's Helmet Bag....medic bags...and the big OD Duffle Bag.

I've also got a couple medals, tons of pins and patches, and a couple uniforms. I've got a British Army Desert Uniform, a US Army digital uniform, a Korean Snow Coat, and random other pieces of clothing.

I've also got the Uncut Version of the Documentary that the Discovery Channel did over the 2nd Bn. 27 Inf. Regiment (Wolfhounds) that my Uncle was deployed with. He is on the documentary at one point working on a soldier in the Aid Station. He was a Physician's Assistant I think. I can't exactly remember.

Oh....and I've got the memories of playing with the M1 Abrams and Stryker simulators at Fort Knox back when it was the Armor Center and my other uncle was in command. Talk about fun.... I did that Laser Marksmanship Training over there too.
Old 03-07-13, 06:27 PM   #14
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Grandpa's WW2 ammo pouch:

I've also got the Mauser rifle he brought back, but that's in the closet and I don't feel like digging it out. In beautiful condition, though.
We've got a couple of those pouches in the basement. I remember seeing them down there a while back. They weren't my Grandfather's though.

We've got some Hungarian Mouser-Type Rifle down there too. I've never fired it but it's pretty nice.
Old 03-07-13, 08:11 PM   #15
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

So when you find something that old made out of leather, what can you do to prevent it from deteriorating more but not adversely affect the item