Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-12, 05:07 PM   #1
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Nintendo DS, a DOS emulator, and some old subsims

Hi all.

I've recently been experimenting with a DOS emulator for the Nintendo DS. Here's the link to the project's website: http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

The program emulates a 286 CPU, so only very early DOS games work on it. The top screen displays the game, while the lower screen displays a keyboard that you can manipulate with your stylus. The mouse can be controlled with the D-Pad, but you can also switch the screens so that the main game screen is displayed on the touch screen. This allows you to point and click through games easily.

So far I have tested: Red Storm Rising, 688 Attack Sub, and Aces of the Deep.

Red Storm Rising works perfectly, however it is difficult to play because the interface depends almost entirely on keyboard input and the tiny keyboard you are provided with is difficult to use, especially when you are trying to evade torpedoes and such. But, I am sure with some stubbornness one could work around this annoyance.

688 Attack Sub also works almost flawlessly. The only issue I can pick up is that some sounds might be missing. The point-and-click interface of this game makes it a good candidate for the Nintendo DS's touchscreen. I am very unfamiliar with this game, but I have been playing around with it on the DS for about an hour or two now and everything seems to be functional.

Aces of the Deep does not even start because it requires a 386 CPU.

There is some required hardware for all this to work though. In order to run homebrew applications such as this DOS emulator you will need a flash cartridge, which is basically a Nintendo DS game cartridge with a micro SD card slot on which you put your programs and games. These cartridges cost about as much as a regular DS game would.

The project's website has a section devoted to game compatibility, and there is a large number of games currently working with the emulator. However, as far as subsims go 688AS seems to be the best title for use on the DS. There are some earlier titles such as GATO and Silent Service which I have never played am not personally interested in. But, if anyone here would like me to test a game for them I would be happy to do so.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote