SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-11, 04:01 PM   #1
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

Default Refurbishing a Dell Dimension E510

My parents' old computer broke down and they gave it to me for salvage. My first thought is that I could breathe some life back into it, as that is what I love doing with dead computers. If I can Frankenstein this puppy I will finally have a desktop again!

The computer is a Dell Dimension E510. My folks were told that the motherboard is kaput. I'm assuming that everything else still functions, but have no way to verify that until I can get it home next week. So while I do some research I decided that I had better seek some expertise here. It has been a few years since I built my last computer, and I have a few questions:

Is it feasible to replace the motherboard in a Dell?

Will any motherboard work as long as the socket fits the processor?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement motherboard? (I'm on a budget, up to $100 for the time being)

Are there any 'gotchas' I should be aware of with today's technology? This model is about four years old.

My thanks in advance. I really want to bring this machine back from the dead, and I know it can be done. I just want to do it right the first time.
Old 07-02-11, 05:57 PM   #2
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

socket 775...

Lots of boards available. Some $50 for one like this: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=g31m-vs2

But from the looks in the manual it seems Dell's using a special made formfactor.
You may have to rearrange the standoffs... and maybe the openings on the back...

Pics please as you go along...

Personally though, I wouldn't waste neither money nor time on a processor and/or equipment from 2005.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 06:01 PM   #3
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

The good thing is that Dell makes good documentation on their products.

Have a first read here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dimE510/
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 06:04 PM   #4
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If you have access to free parts from friends and such?
Getting this to work can be a fun project.
I use old systems for print servers and backup hard drive stuff.

I'd check that the power supply is still working first.
You'll need a power supply that matches that you know is good of course.
Then if it is?
Start by removeing everything bit by bit to find what the problem is.
Old 07-02-11, 07:08 PM   #5
krashkart
Navy Seal

I just had to deliver my own verdict to my stepdad -- the motherboard is not fried. I ran a search for "Dell Dimension E510 power button problems" and it turns out that if you use the standard pull-the-CMOS-battery trick the power button works again. After a brief visit afterward to Setup I was able to get the OS to boot again without a hitch. Will be making a short trip to the grocery store for a replacement battery tomorrow.

My stepdad is stoic. The gentleman at <unnamed service> might be receiving a polite corrective phone call from yours truly after the holiday. He could very easily have saved my folks some money that they can't really afford right now.

I could utter a few strings of arcane curse words right about now. I hate delivering bad news like this.

The good news is that the costs so far only involve a can of compressed air for blowing out the dust bunnies. That computer is clean as a whistle now!

Perkele!

Edit:

I would post pics but... I already blew the dust bunnies out. It was a horrifying sight to behold!

Last edited by krashkart; 07-02-11 at 07:20 PM.
krashkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 06:26 PM   #6
krashkart
Navy Seal

Update:

Had a couple of days to cool off. Put a new battery in yesterday, removed the old thermal paste from the processor and heat sink, and applied a new layer of goop. Finally got her home today, and after running for several hours the new CMOS battery seems to have taken hold. Had a look in Setup at the POST error messages and noticed an entire page of errors related to the old battery. How the tech could have overlooked something that simple I will never know, but I do have my suspicions.

The system functions - she's alive!

For the time being, anyway. I'll power it down overnight to verify whether the battery really was the only problem.

Before deciding on bringing her home I asked my stepdad if he wanted to try to sell it, and hopefully recover some of what he had spent on their new computer. He told me, "It's yours. We would have thrown it out anyway". Not exactly the way I would have preferred coming into a used computer given the circumstances, but I can't really complain, either.

Jan Kyster requested pics and I will have them posted as soon as I get the images uploaded to Flickr, if the interest is still there.

Thank you to everyone who responded earlier. This will be one of the first places I go to when a real project lands in my lap.