SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-10, 10:14 AM   #1
breadcatcher101
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Suggestions on a new Vid. Card?

In an earlier post I wrote about the demise of my vid card and wonder what type I could get that would enable me to enjoy SH 3 and 4.

I don't THINK I will be getting SH 5 if things don't change about their demands about having to be on the net while you play, but who knows, so maybe it would have to be able to play it as well. I don't mind spending a bit more if I have to to get the best possible realistic play.

A bit about my computer:

It is a HP slimline type, model s3400f, processer is AMD Athlon (tm) 64 x 2 Duel Core, processer 5200+, 2.70 GHz. Memory is 4.00 GB, 32 bit Operating System. Is this type a good one?

I also don't know what all these specs mean really, my knowledge in electronics is a bit out-dated, way back to the days of tubes and transisters in the '70's. Back in my day I used to build TV's from kits as a hobby and have a basic knowledge of electronics applications (I miss cassettes to this day).

I understand that some cards can be "tweaked" to allow more realistic appearance? I did suffer from telescoping masts and zig patterns on the ship's rigging with my old card but with a slimline model perhaps my range of choices would be a bit limited?

From the looks of some of your screen shots many of them look almost as real as a movie. Do I have that option with my type model with the right type card??

I appreciate your help on this, I am in the dark as to the knowledge of these type tech applications.

I play 1.4, vanilla, hope to get some mods someday if I can figure it all out how to do that. I got down the road a bit on trying to do this but hit a stumbling block on how to make it happen. Another problen for another day on that one.

Once again I thank you for your input on this.
breadcatcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:57 AM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Looks like a standard desktop case to me.

Provided the PSU is powerfull enough (500W and up, preferably 550-600 minimum) and has at least 1, preferably 2 PCI-E connectors, you could start by looking at the GTS250 (9800GTX+) and GTX260. If you have Win7, a HD5xxx might be worth looking into for DX11.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 02:05 AM   #3
breadcatcher101
Captain

Downloads: 1

Forgot to mention, I am running Vista Home Preminum.
breadcatcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 03:05 AM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

In that case start by looking at the HD4850/4870 at the Radeon camp (about the same as GTS250/GTX260). I'd take those as a minimum, go faster if you have more to spend.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 09:37 AM   #5
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5

A 4850/70 might be a bit much as your processor is going to limit it. I would look at ATI HD 4670 card. They do not need external power connectors and they are real cheap now. They have very good performance for the cost.

I recommend it because I have one and I can play SH4 no problems with everything maxed out.

A HD5670 would work as well, DX11 has been backported to Vista so it would be a little more futureproof, but the performance is not much more considering the greater price over a 4670.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote