SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-09, 03:50 PM   #1
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Intel processor drivers needed?

A friend's computer runs very slow, and he told me if i could take a look at it. Today i checked it and he has a Dual Core Pentium 4 (it's the first time i see a normal P4 with two cores). Its 3200mhz per core. My cpu is an AMD dual core 4800+, 2500mhz per core, so his machine should be faster than mine.
I think it could be that the system is erroneously seeing two cores when he only has one, but both Everest and system information say that he surely has two cores...
My mobo installation cd comes with drivers for the AMD K8 family processors to enhance performance. I wonder if there are similar drivers for his mobo (a FUJITSU SIEMENS D1826-G).
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 06:25 PM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Normally no. Check the system BIOS to see if its seeing 2 cores. This negates some windows HAL screwup. It could also require a BIOS update on the board, or there may be something else going on.

Its possible a sftw driver may allow things to work smoother, but given its processor related, the majority of those drivers actually work with Windows to "balance the load" and enable sftw to use both cores better. I have to say I doubt that your looking at a processor driver issue though.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 03:06 AM   #3
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

The OS sees 2 cores because of HTT (hyper threading technology). The 2nd core is virtual, but for all intents and purposes the system treats it like having 2 cores.

Considering his CPU is running well over 3GHz, I'd have a look at the cooling. Maybe the CPU is getting throttled due to overheating.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote