SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-24, 06:40 AM   #1
ubootmate
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Back at the game - need tips

Howdy fellow board Kaleuns.

After a longer hiatus I'm finally back at SH3, but...
It's a CAPITAL "BUT".
I quit the game because I deemed it unrealistic at a certain point.
I play again at 60+ level of realism and after 5 patrols have already close to 200K of sunk tonnage and the oak leafs with swords pinned to my chest.
It's not even 1940 and I am more successful and more decorated then some commanders were after 1945.
This is boring - borderline annoying.

So I think of getting one of the larger supermods installed, but I am not sure which one. There are certain criteria that are neccessities as well as some things which are bringing the most fun for me playing SH3.

So these things have to be considered and will ultimately decide which mods are desireable and which ones aren't.
I count on you guys to help me out on this one.
If one supermod can't do the tricks, I would even consider installing single mods if there is no other way.

Neccesities:
It has to run under WIN 7 64 bit.
I don't want to argue or explain, it's just a fact.
Whatever mods I am ending up with, they have to make me able to play the game under WIN 7 64 bit.

Features:
For me playing the game with fun is really coming down to some features that are lacking and/or non existing in the vanilla version ( I play the "green pepper" version of SH3 which is the final patched 1.4 version without Starforce and use SH3 commander.).

1.)
I enjoy managing the crew very much, promoting them and make the crew better as the war goes on. If there is a mod which even enhances or improves the level of crew nursing besides SH3 commander - I am all for it.

2.)
More realistic tonnage outputs.
I mean if a Kaleun had 3-5 ships sunk with a tonnage of lets say 25.000 tons it would have been a very solid patrol back then. You just don't get 100.000 tons of sunk shipment including 2 battleships and 8 destroyers to go with 2 aircraft shot down on your average patrol.
You just don't.

3.) Promotions and medals/batches being more realisticly awarded to the Commander.
You need forever to getting promoted to Oberleutnant but get thrown around the Knights Cross with Oak Leafs and Swords after 4 patrols? Hardly realistic.

4.) Way more realistic mission design.

Getting ordered to patrol a certain patrol grid for 24 hours is hardly a challenging or very enticing mission outlay.
I hope some supermod can break this boring dilemma.

5.) More realistic and more frequent radio communication.
Meaning that there should be more radio traffic overall and more involment in some of the wars campaigns and theaters like Weserübung etc. Getting radio messages when other boats have spotted a convoy or when you spot one to help bring other boats to the area before attacking and so on.
Just bringing radio traffic to level of play that makes the game more unpredictable and enjoying. Also knowing why you have to patrol a certain area and/or knowing which own boats are near you or patrolling the neighbor grids would be fun.

6.) Graphics and eye candy.
While this is certainly a nice to have asset I'd rather prefer the above mentioned features first because they are way more important to me than shiny graphics. But if there are better graphics as well, I take it!

Any suggestions (prefered with explanations)are very much welcome...

I appreciate your support!

Greetings from

Ubootmate