SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-12, 02:51 PM   #1
aergistal
Chief

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 1
Default Dear Esther: Morse Code

Looking for the assistance of a radio operator to decode the morse code in the following video:

(jump to 1:30 and look at the cave in the distance)

And while we're at it, what did you make out of Dear Esther. What's your theory about whatever is going on in that game-thing. Enjoyed it?
aergistal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 03:26 PM   #2
aergistal
Chief

I got:

. . . / _ . . / . _ / _ _ / . _ / . . . / _ . _ . / . .

S D A M A S C I

There's a reference to Damascus in the game, so this probably is close, though the last signal is clearly not a U
Old 02-23-12, 03:26 PM   #3
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I added it to my steam wishlist. It looks intriguing to me. A type of game where you feel like just wandering around a bit and exploring without getting shot at. I suspect alot of people more accustomed to COD styled games will hate it. I think it's probably more along the lines of an interactive story that changes slightly with each reading.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 03:43 PM   #4
aergistal
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I added it to my steam wishlist. It looks intriguing to me. A type of game where you feel like just wandering around a bit and exploring without getting shot at. I suspect alot of people more accustomed to COD styled games will hate it. I think it's probably more along the lines of an interactive story that changes slightly with each reading.
Yes it's some sort of story, only incredibly short (you can finish it in less than 1 hour). The environment and the experience are beautiful though and compensate for the duration.

Last edited by aergistal; 02-24-12 at 02:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-12, 03:53 PM   #5
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Watching a couple reviews, i noticed something. People are obsessed with price, and graphics. Showing clips as they zip through the game, i found myself wondering, "what's that diagram on the wall he's overlooking?".

I think i could enjoy it, as im into the whole, "observe and deduce what's going on" thing, but clearly, its not a game for everyone.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 05:38 PM   #6
Urge
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You can download the original here for free.

http://www.desura.com/mods/dear-esth...-now-on-desura

Urge
Old 02-24-12, 02:30 AM   #7
aergistal
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urge View Post
You can download the original here for free.

http://www.desura.com/mods/dear-esth...-now-on-desura

Urge
That's the first version, a free mod for Half-Life. The version in the video is the reworked, 2012 commercial edition.
Old 03-03-12, 08:20 AM   #8
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

WTF is... - Dear Esther? (by TotalBiscuit):
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 08:46 AM   #9
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

I completed the game in about 45 mins,didn't realise until half way that ur a dead man walking. you cant pick anything up.You just walk around the Island exploreing it. The end of the game just lost me,just don't know why you climb that beacon and the jump off it.
Old 03-03-12, 10:09 AM   #10
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aergistal View Post
Looking for the assistance of a radio operator to decode the morse code in the following video:

(jump to 1:30 and look at the cave in the distance)

And while we're at it, what did you make out of Dear Esther. What's your theory about whatever is going on in that game-thing. Enjoyed it?
Kinda wondered what the morse code was about, figures it'd be a Damascus reference!

I loved it - have had one play through and going to do one more before I review it, to see how different it is second time round. The atmosphere is second to none, and although the lack of traditional game mechanics like sprint/jump jar for the initial 5-10 minutes, eventually you accept the slower speed and just go with it. The story starts to trickle down and you sink into the world completely, its very immersive.

The narrative itself is excellent, with the occasional cheese moment (often unavoidable with this style of writing sadly, but it works 90% of the time). I love that it brings to life characters that you never see, characters that often are never even physically described (e.g Jakobsen) and exist only as 'remainder objects' - the old house etc, that imply their presence. I love the fractured backstory to Esther; the photographs on the table in the first house, the scars in the rock faces and the narrators own loss, gradually pieced together as you progress, the lines between past and present beginning to blur as you begin your ascent.

It's glorious, I could get two or three decent academic articles out of it based on the story & writing alone, another on the sublimity of virtual environments!

One thing I do find odd is that so few people want to talk about it. I'm not sure if this is because the mod has been out for a while and people are all 'seen it before' etc? Even fewer want to delve deeper into the story or investigate it with (very applicable) literary methodology.
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 12:12 PM   #11
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Watching a couple reviews, i noticed something. People are obsessed with price, and graphics. Showing clips as they zip through the game, i found myself wondering, "what's that diagram on the wall he's overlooking?".
Yeah, graphics is everything these days. Hopefully it's a fad that will pass with time.

Quote:
I completed the game in about 45 mins,didn't realise until half way that (spoiler removed)
Why, thank you for spoiling that.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote