SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-08, 08:44 AM   #1
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galanti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
I worry that the weeks of extensive criticism of NSM 4, some constructive and probably justified but some I think not, may have discouraged Werner from pursuing further NSM improvements for the community. He has not posted here for the past 2 1/2 weeks. Real Life matters do arise for all of us, from time to time. It would be a great loss if Werner were to reduce his community efforts, which have been so valuable to us all. I hope I am completely wrong and worrying unnecessarily...
I agree with the last bit, but I don't think the words 'extensive criticism' are warranted. People noticed an overwhelming tendency for marus to explode catastrophically upon contact shots and said so. A few of us noticed the resulting explosions also took out nearby ships. This was clearly not design behavior. I don't think pointing this out can be construed as 'excessive criticism'.

Now, the jury's still out on whether it's an NSM or RSRD issue, and personally I'm now leaning towards RSRD and the ammo cargoes it introduces. I will apologize to Werner if I ever sounded like I was unduly ripping his mod, but I frankly don't believe I did. I think I've made it clear that his effort is one of the crown jewels in SH4's crown, and the stock damage modelling makes the game nearly unplayable to me without NSM.
Well, it's an RSRDC PLUS NSM4 issue. Lurker himself has stated that, for reasons of realism, some 35% of the Marus in RSRDC carry either ammo or fuel, which are the volatile cargoes that cause the massive explosion (coupled with the keel zone that Werner modified to carry ammo, to create the ships breaking in half effect) - this is a fact I've established after extensive testing. Werner could not have known this, as he did all his tests on stock game, where all the Marus carry Freight, which will not produce the side-effect we users of RSRDC noticed.
This is not to say that either Lurker or Werner are to blame, they both strive to make this game as enjoyable as possible, and boy have they both done a great job there!
Last we heard of Werner, he said he'd look into the matter, but it's a complex one that will require quite some time. So, patience is the key word here

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 08:51 AM   #2
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Yep, and since I'm not sure if Werner ever touched the US ships, will also takes boatloads of time to get it inline with 1.5. I'm in no particular hurry, I'm still having a hoot with NSM 3.3 and urge Werner to take his time, do well on his exams and make sure his real world needs are tended to.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 08:31 AM   #3
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

Boy, I hope WernerSobe is working on updating this to 1.5. Can anyone confirm that he is, or someone else is? I tossed two wild shots at a light cruiser last night, hitting it just below the forward superstructure. Fireworks ensued... but she went down like a brick. Bow went down, she kept moving forward... it looked like a swan dive to the bottom.

Blech.

I don't mind that happening every so often, but it seems like every ship I fire fish at likes to break apart, too. I imagine I'm firing and hitting with enough fish to blow the hitpoints away. It might be overkill, but I like knowing the ship's going down .

And if nobody's working on getting NSM up & runnin' on 1.5, then I'm going to start taking it apart, figurin' it out, and "fixing" 1.5 out of sheer frustration. But I don't want to elevate to this level if someone smarter and more skilled than me is working on it already.
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 04:49 AM   #4
BopMaster
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Hello there
Sorry for the silliest question ever asked: is this for 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5?

Thanks
BopMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 10:25 AM   #5
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BopMaster
Hello there
Sorry for the silliest question ever asked: is this for 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5?

Thanks
1.4. And welcome aboard!

Old 03-30-08, 11:49 AM   #6
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piersyf

Oh, one other thing. After sinking the troop transport there was a lot of air activity. About 12 or so contacts in the following day. The interesting thing was that 2 turned to 'sunk' markers... maybe they collided, or ran out of fuel...
Glad it's so realistically frustrating (when things don't work) and rewarding (when one finally slips under). NSM is one of the mods I refuse to play without.

As for the planes, they are notorius for doing stupid things like running into each other or just playing "chicken" with the ocean:rotfl: It's too bad we can't follow them around with the camera, we could make all kinds of "blooper videos"

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 11:59 AM   #7
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
As for the planes, they are notorius for doing stupid things like running into each other or just playing "chicken" with the ocean:rotfl: It's too bad we can't follow them around with the camera, we could make all kinds of "blooper videos"
I've wached, in more than one occasions, a plane being blasted by its own bombs' explosive force. Kinda reminded me of my Jane's F15 days, when I was stupid enough to drop those 2000lb bombs from an altitude of 300ft! :rotfl:

Old 04-04-08, 05:01 PM   #8
Grein
Swabbie

Downloads: 19

It would be REALLY Great, if time could be found to update this mod!
Playing without it is just 50% of the fun
Grein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 08:46 PM   #9
clayman
Soundman

Downloads: 21

I gotta agree .... NSM makes it so sweet !

Running both versions, so I still get to see it when I run 1.4. Did that a lot with IL2.
clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 11:11 AM   #10
fireship4
Ensign

Downloads: 41

Werner did you ever get around to fixing the incompatibility with RSRD where the ammo cargo would set off the keel?

If not will it have to be in your 1.5 version? Will you do a fix for your 1.4?
Old 05-29-08, 09:18 PM   #11
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

thought I'd bring up that I'm using the light version in 1.5 fine....
Old 05-29-08, 10:23 PM   #12
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy117
thought I'd bring up that I'm using the light version in 1.5 fine....
I think the heart of the issue is that NSM does not provide the improved sinking, etc, of the American ships...which one would be sinking if playing the UBoat commander. The Japanese Ships in 1.5 will show the NSM sinlking effects. As far as I understand it.
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 11:32 PM   #13
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
... As far as I understand it.
I understood it exactly the same way as you did, and just in case I always disable NSM when driving U-Boats. Seems to work as intended.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 04:08 AM   #14
AlmightyTallest
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

Only problem I've encountered with NSM Classic and v1.5 with RFB was that some destroyers, like the akizuki for example, sometimes have taken 6 Mk 14 torpedoes (And that's 6 torpedoes that worked and exploded as designed) to sink one destroyer. Sometimes it works great though on the same ship, but other times I don't know why they don't sink.
AlmightyTallest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 05:06 AM   #15
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default slow sinking

should've fired a kaiten.. oops wrong side !:rotfl:

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote