SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-22, 03:42 PM   #4246
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0

Is this mod compatible with the steam version of SH4?

It's been a few years since i've played and fancy diving back in but i've lost my physical copy.
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 03:51 PM   #4247
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147
Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig View Post

It's been a few years since i've played and fancy diving back in but i've lost my physical copy.
Yes. I’m using the Steam version.
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 04:05 PM   #4248
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:

Yes, it is compatible with the Steam version. However, as with all versions of Silent Hunter 3 & 4, no matter the publisher, with SH4 being installed in the 'modern' Windows, you cannot allow it to use its default install of Program Files. For a Steam install, that would involve a slightly different Steam Library path, in that Steam wants to install in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam..." which results in the game having a path of "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Uboat AddOn Missions" (or whatever the name is). You also want to be certain you mod the correct copy of SH4, since you do need to use the Uboat Missions version of theirs.

When doing the install, you will be asked for the path where you would like the game. If you have no other Steam games, you can tell it to install in a folder you created. As an example, "C:\Games". Point the installer at that folder, and you then have SH4 being installed in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \ Silent Hunter..." Steam will still end up in the Program Files folder, but your Library folder is now in Games. For more info, consult the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games, and if you are feeling adventurous and have other Steam games installed already, you can try kacpro090's trick in Preparing SH4 for modifications. I have not tried that out yet myself, but I do have the perfect machine to try it on one of these days, to see how it goes. A computer with 2 valid hard drives alleviates most of the difficult issues, since you can create a new Steam Library folder without issue - generally. You cannot use an image drive though, that the computer manufacturer set for restoring Windows from...

... and goldmatersims beat me to the punch! lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 07:20 PM   #4249
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

Ok good to know. I have steam installed on a 2nd drive already so no worries there.

I've read on the steam SH4 review section getting SH4 to run on windows 10 is a painful mission, is this true?
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 08:20 PM   #4250
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Ok good to know. I have steam installed on a 2nd drive already so no worries there.

I've read on the steam SH4 review section getting SH4 to run on windows 10 is a painful mission, is this true?
Ehhh.... depends... some have expressed having difficulties getting things set up what with Win 10, Steam... I've managed... to have (at 1 point, mind you... ) up to 11/12 copies modded out to various mod mixes.

FotRS, being but just... 2 well... at 1 time, 4 of them... v1.39, v1.46 being the versions that come to mind... of running a straight up out of the Philippines career... & then a solo set up of each, for a Alaskan command set up.

More have had success, in getting SH4 (the proper version of it, that is... as there is still mods out there, for the original SH4 release... v1.4 the last that I am aware of... ) to v1.5 which is with Uboat missions slap dash added to the tail end of it. Just have to be real.... careful of what mods you're grabbing ahold of & using... that they match the particular version of SH4, from Steam... that you have installed.

Hope this info helps... as always.

M. M.
Old 01-13-22, 08:41 PM   #4251
propbeanie

Quote:

All of the "old" stuff has issues with the 'modern' Windows and 'modern' video stream. The main problem is Windows and the card attempting to interfere with the game's video, in a vain attempt to make a DirectX v9 game "look better", like can be done with the modern krapp. You need to step into the fray and prevent Windows from interfering ( ). First, you should have your video set the same way through, from the "Native" resolution of your display monitor, to the display Windows driver, where that resolution will show as "... (recommended)", and then hopefully find the same resolution in the game, or a multiple of the ratio.

This image is from one of my computers. A partial image of my File Manager is the background, showing the Game folder, with the SH4.exe selected. Right-click on the SH4.exe and then left-click on "Properties" at the bottom of the resultant context menu. That will open the Properties dialog to the "General" tab, where you can clear the "Read-only" tick box if necessary, on that page. Most of what you will want is on the "Compatibility" tab, which is what is displayed here. That top "SH4.exe Properties" window is what you get if you click on the "Change high DPI settings" button on the main window.

The main settings there are the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" (all of my computers), possibly the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" set to Windows 7 (sometimes - 2 of 4 computers here), "Run this program as administrator" (if the UAC is set 'high' - 2 others of four), and the previously mentioned "Change high DPI settings" button. Once on that upper properties page, you usually can get by with ticking the "Override high DPI scaling..." and setting that to "Application" in the drop-down (all of my computers). On one of my computers, I have had to use the tick box under "Program DPI" up top there, and then "Use this setting to fix scaling problems...", which activates the drop-down box in the middle there for "Use the DPI that's set...", and set that to "I open this program". Hopefully, that is enough to be certain of SH4 starting in Windows 10.

Old 01-14-22, 05:30 AM   #4252
phooey
A-ganger

Downloads: 225

Hello FORTSU team, more bug report.

NBC_Repulse has its M07 and M08 node kinda misplaced, one of it even "seep" into the ship.

NCVE_Long_Island 40mmsingle link node do not exist in SH4, change it to another gun perhaps?
phooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 08:44 AM   #4253
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default Fotrs 1.7

Hey beanie bonjours..
Do you have no time for my questions, thank you? ...
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=4240
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 10:41 AM   #4254
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Thank you Propbeanie for your advice ...
I have two questions for you
1_or increase the exhaust smoke (I guess you have to go to the "dat" with s3d)
2_or change the interior light in the submarine.
thank you see you soon ... kind regards KM_U669
Quote:
Hey beanie bonjours..
Do you have no time for my questions, thank you? ...
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=4240
I claim "oldmanitis" on that... I completely misplaced that in my brain while doing the other replies, and then as Bob Seger says "Turn The Page" - "out of sight, out of mind"... sigh - I was going to ask you to further clarify though, are you looking for more smoke in general, out of the sub you are driving, or are you more after what the vickers03 "Smoke" mod does to the various ships? The "light" inside the subs was an idea being mulled over for a possible add-in, to where you would be able to have several settings of light inside, and another for outside the boat, but we haven't begun to attempt that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phooey View Post
Hello FORTSU team, more bug report.

NBC_Repulse has its M07 and M08 node kinda misplaced, one of it even "seep" into the ship.

NCVE_Long_Island 40mmsingle link node do not exist in SH4, change it to another gun perhaps?
Thanks, we'll look into those. As for the 40mm, they are in the game - mayhaps we let that pb fellow do the spelling on it also, and that's the problem...

Edit: The Repulse is easy enough to see:

It almost looks like an AuxCruiser's install of the gun... but it's not. Fixed to match the starboard side:

with slight alterations.

Definitely a "spelling" issue on the Long Island, and doing testing now.

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-14-22 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-14-22, 12:20 PM   #4255
phooey
A-ganger

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thanks, we'll look into those. As for the 40mm, they are in the game - mayhaps we let that pb fellow do the spelling on it also, and that's the problem...
It is, but under different name so the ship doesn't have it.
phooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 01:44 PM   #4256
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Why are you NOT running SH Validator on files?
Old 01-14-22, 02:40 PM   #4257
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default exhaust smoke... and interior light.

yes my dear Beanie... i will speak to the great guru.... master vickers... to expand my knowledge... in order to answer my questions and let you work... sorry to bother you... with my exhaust smoke... and interior light...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 08:31 PM   #4258
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phooey View Post
It is, but under different name so the ship doesn't have it.
Testing the patched release now, but I do have to verify that torpedobait's issue is fixed when starting from Cavite. Cannot have a failure there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Why are you NOT running SH Validator on files?
Oh my, Jeff, we run SH Validator, and Hebe's mySH3_Tool on it, as well as the Mission Editor and the Museum, as well as some 'custom' tools and set-ups we have of our own, and from some magnanimous benefactor we know ... However, none of them can catch a "mis-named" gun. The game just takes it as a "NULL" and goes on about its business. Now, if we had used a named "Loadout" on it, then Hebe's tool would have caught it, without a doubt. We're fine though, with eagle-eyed users who look closer than the old-man-eye's of the team... lol

Quote:
yes my dear Beanie... i will speak to the great guru.... master vickers... to expand my knowledge... in order to answer my questions and let you work... sorry to bother you... with my exhaust smoke... and interior light...
If vickers03 contacted you, definitely drink in his knowledge. However, we also rely on him, so don't take up too much of his time... - If it is the submarines, then by all means, we were going to alter those for the mod also, so let us know how you make-out with that! thanks.

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-14-22 at 09:11 PM. Reason: magnaminous or magnanimous... that is the question...
Old 01-14-22, 11:45 PM   #4259
propbeanie

This took me entirely too long to do (out of practice), but it was fun doing:

That is the Long Island, with the "proper" 40mm added to the eqp file - but this is without the added stack smoke that s7rikeback worked so hard for... barebones FotRSU, preparatory to the "patch", which does have the stacks smoke... btw, for those interested, the first 4:15 are just "posers", with various 'dramatic' shots of the two ships. The shooting starts at like 4:17 if you want to cut to the explosions, fire and mayhem...

Old 01-14-22, 11:53 PM   #4260
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
This took me entirely too long to do (out of practice), but it was fun doing:

That is the Long Island, with the "proper" 40mm added to the eqp file - but this is without the added stack smoke that s7rikeback worked so hard for... barebones FotRSU, preparatory to the "patch", which does have the stacks smoke... btw, for those interested, the first 4:15 are just "posers", with various 'dramatic' shots of the two ships. The shooting starts at like 4:17 if you want to cut to the explosions, fire and mayhem...

Love it. Wish I could get the black AA "puffs" to show up in TMO.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote