SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-21, 04:51 PM   #3736
SirMoric
Seaman

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

You don't believe it.

I actually though you mis-remembered the names on some of the files, since when I un-zipped the download, some of the file names were not the ones you mentioned.

I ended up changing the unzip-program I had installed, and is now using the 7z-program. Just an odd hunch I had.

Aaaaaand..... now everything works like a charm!

By the way don't ever use the "Rar Zip Extractor Pro", it downright sucks by having multiple pop ups when unzipping.... and worse, not naming the files and extensions correct.
SirMoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 01:03 PM   #3737
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ah-ha! "The old 'bad' file names from the rar extractor trick!" - Glad you are going, and that it wasn't one of the many oddities I previously listed! That is one reason we specify the 7-Zip extractor, which can read most other "archive" files, but few others can read the 7-Zip format.

Now an update: No news is good news, correct? Well... in this case, "No"... We are still working on the ST radar, and have managed to alter things, but usually more toward the CTD side of the game, than any semblance of success with the ST Radar upgrade. The Observation periscope has thus far refused to cooperate with our attempts. We have sent out a life-line request to one of our consultants, and hope to have an update that way, but all indications thus far are that the original devs of the game left the ST disabled for a reason... sigh

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 05:23 PM   #3738
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Question re: 40mm 2nd crewman changes

Still in a career in V1.46, arriving Pearl Harbor 7/31/43 to take command of USS Balao (SS-285). Was able to add fore and aft 40mm AA guns, and after fitting out the rest of the boat saved the game while in port at Pearl. Exited the game and made the appropriate crewman changes in the last Save Game, which worked just fine. I now have two crewmen on each gun.

My question is: Will it ever be possible to change the game so the manual changes to the Save Game file will no longer be required?

And one more question: Is there a way to make a mod to change a Save Game file via a load by JSGME?

I'm guessing the answer to both will be "No", because building the Save Game files is probably a UBI-coded process, not one controlled by files accessible to Modders. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic about it.

I guess I could always create a text file with the crewman changes that I can later copy into an appropriate Save Game file when needed.

Thanks for your time.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 07:00 PM   #3739
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Default FOTRS

First and Most Important..Thank You for this awesome Modificaion!! So far its looking, AND working great! I did Have a repeatable CTD with the wardroom mod so i simply disabled it.
No issues setting it up and getting it to work! Solid work Guys I am playing it slow because..well..I dont know what to expect! How cool is that!!

Back in the SH1 Days there were alot of Old WWII SUBVETS alive and I made it my job to pick their brains for knowledge. I did all this before Neal scooped me up and made me a Subsim Subject matter expert. I was wrapping up my last tour before retirement from Subs (3 Fast Attacks) so I really enjoyed helping with realism updates back before I left to be a full time single parent in 2002 or 2003. I even made a SH1 Sound Mod..LOL

So So I have only one "submarine" feedback/suggestion. The creaking sounds..is there any way to stop them, or is that a hard code thing? I know quite a bit about WWII Subs and steel, and a few creaks is fine..but not constantly or the sub would surface and look like a raisin..LOL Definately not at PD and absolutely not like Hollyweird depicts in U571. Leaks..YES as Packings and seals were mostly waxed or tarred cord or twine. Rubber O-Rings weren't invented and flanges used cork or sheet rubber.

Any How, I dont want to disturb the mod so I dont mind trying to modify the sound for myself. If thats not too involved..lol

Thank You, and a HUGE Thank You for Trying to make FOTRS Historically accurate within the confines of SH4.
Old 08-11-21, 12:48 AM   #3740
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: S class shakedowns out the whazoo..???

Ahoy, propbeanie... s7rikeback...

At 1st, was undecided on where to ask this... but, on reflection, since the 1st base mod is the FotRS-U v1.6x preview... I reckon it's incumbent to post here... so... here goes.

Ok, Have a copy of SH4 set up, so as to run an S class boat career & not have it intermixed in with My other career that I started off in a Sargo boat.

That said, am in an S-18 boat, based out of D.H. 1 patrol under the belt & out on My 2nd patrol.. & is May of '42.

My 1st patrol out... I ended up with 3... 3 shakedown patrol objectives.. weird I thought but, managed to complete all of them & docked after radioing in on the completion of the 3rd such orders & got nice job, patrol where ever or head back to base.

I took the option to head back to base & dock, so ending patrol 1 with a Jyunsen B sub sank to My credit.

There in, lies My quandary, after successfully ending patrol 1 & the getting prepared to head out for patrol 2...
Of which, propbeanie... I dm'ed you here with the basics on that.. which I'll recap here.

On resupplying, & getting My sailing orders... I clicked on the map to see what the particulars where for My next sortie.

Told to stay on My toes, as IJN movement was to be expected (in short, info about the IJN plans to attempt to take Midway, since the date is the beginning of May with My being in port. which would jibe with the date of the attack on Midway.)

Any way, told to patrol an area South of Umnak Isle. for 3 days solid. In the letter that showed on getting the patrol orders, at the end it stated:

Objective: Null

Odd, in & of itself, as I have never seen that crop up like that before now.

But, I knew that I was to patrol for 3 days, so.. off I went. On the clipboard, for that particular Objective, the only thing there in relation to that objective, was the spy glass icon that clicking on that, will auto jump you to the Nav map & the area, you're to patrol.. that's it, which it did that job brilliantly.

I thence patrolled the assigned area, for the required 3 days 'solid' & got an all clear bell of completion.

Having completed the objective... I thence radioed in for new orders... when low & behold.. I get tasked to do a 4th... 4th shakedown cruise, yet again... say wha... what gives...????

Some how, I do NOT think that this is standard & methinketh that there is... ''Something rotten in the state of Denmark.''

If need be, I can forward all info...

Standing by... & signing off for now.

End report.

M. M.

Old 08-11-21, 02:06 AM   #3741
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Still in a career in V1.46, arriving Pearl Harbor 7/31/43 to take command of USS Balao (SS-285). Was able to add fore and aft 40mm AA guns, and after fitting out the rest of the boat saved the game while in port at Pearl. Exited the game and made the appropriate crewman changes in the last Save Game, which worked just fine. I now have two crewmen on each gun.

My question is: Will it ever be possible to change the game so the manual changes to the Save Game file will no longer be required?

And one more question: Is there a way to make a mod to change a Save Game file via a load by JSGME?

I'm guessing the answer to both will be "No", because building the Save Game files is probably a UBI-coded process, not one controlled by files accessible to Modders. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic about it.

I guess I could always create a text file with the crewman changes that I can later copy into an appropriate Save Game file when needed.

Thanks for your time.
The answer to both is most likely "no", since no two computers are alike and the game makes some strange changes to the Save section while you're playing, and also when you Save. JSGME works from one folder, and populates to the folder structure in the mod. It would be a bit difficult to "program" that into use for the Save folder structure. The removal of the "AdditionalRepository" text is the most common gun crew problem you will encounter, but not the only one, of course. You have to see what you have (or don't have) in your folder and file Save structure before you do any edits. Following along with one of the 3 methods in the "NewColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file covers most of what you'll find, including a missing gun. My favorite is the third, of course ( ) - ahem... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
First and Most Important..Thank You for this awesome Modificaion!! So far its looking, AND working great! I did Have a repeatable CTD with the wardroom mod so i simply disabled it.
No issues setting it up and getting it to work! Solid work Guys I am playing it slow because..well..I dont know what to expect! How cool is that!!

Back in the SH1 Days there were alot of Old WWII SUBVETS alive and I made it my job to pick their brains for knowledge. I did all this before Neal scooped me up and made me a Subsim Subject matter expert. I was wrapping up my last tour before retirement from Subs (3 Fast Attacks) so I really enjoyed helping with realism updates back before I left to be a full time single parent in 2002 or 2003. I even made a SH1 Sound Mod..LOL

So So I have only one "submarine" feedback/suggestion. The creaking sounds..is there any way to stop them, or is that a hard code thing? I know quite a bit about WWII Subs and steel, and a few creaks is fine..but not constantly or the sub would surface and look like a raisin..LOL Definately not at PD and absolutely not like Hollyweird depicts in U571. Leaks..YES as Packings and seals were mostly waxed or tarred cord or twine. Rubber O-Rings weren't invented and flanges used cork or sheet rubber.

Any How, I dont want to disturb the mod so I dont mind trying to modify the sound for myself. If thats not too involved..lol

Thank You, and a HUGE Thank You for Trying to make FOTRS Historically accurate within the confines of SH4.
We thank you for thanking us, by golly! (Long Live Silent Hunter - the original!!!) The sounds you are referring to are "Creaks_Level1.wav", Creaks_Level2.wav", "Creaks_Level3.wav" and "Creaks_Level4.wav", found in the Data Sound folder. If I remember correctly, "1" starts and PD, the 2 at like 100-120, and I forget where 3 & 4 kick in. But the last two especially sound like the tube is getting twisted into a pretzel... lol - Those are, for the most part, what was with the original MadMax FOTRS mod, other than being turned down in level a bit, and all shortened to be less that 15 (actually, 14 to be "safe") seconds in time. If you exceed 15 seconds by any slice of a microsecond, you will introduce sound issues into the game. The background ambient sounds can be just about any length, while any FX files have to be less that 15 seconds. Do what you want with the files, but it will cost you! You have to share what you make... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, propbeanie... s7rikeback...

At 1st, was undecided on where to ask this... but, on reflection, since the 1st base mod is the FotRS-U v1.6x preview... I reckon it's incumbent to post here... so... here goes.

Ok, Have a copy of SH4 set up, so as to run an S class boat career & not have it intermixed in with My other career that I started off in a Sargo boat.

That said, am in an S-18 boat, based out of D.H. 1 patrol under the belt & out on My 2nd patrol.. & is May of '42.

My 1st patrol out... I ended up with 3... 3 shakedown patrol objectives.. weird I thought but, managed to complete all of them & docked after radioing in on the completion of the 3rd such orders & got nice job, patrol where ever or head back to base.

I took the option to head back to base & dock, so ending patrol 1 with a Jyunsen B sub sank to My credit.

There in, lies My quandary, after successfully ending patrol 1 & the getting prepared to head out for patrol 2...
Of which, propbeanie... I dm'ed you here with the basics on that.. which I'll recap here.

On resupplying, & getting My sailing orders... I clicked on the map to see what the particulars where for My next sortie.

Told to stay on My toes, as IJN movement was to be expected (in short, info about the IJN plans to attempt to take Midway, since the date is the beginning of May with My being in port. which would jibe with the date of the attack on Midway.)

Any way, told to patrol an area South of Umnak Isle. for 3 days solid. In the letter that showed on getting the patrol orders, at the end it stated:

Objective: Null

Odd, in & of itself, as I have never seen that crop up like that before now.

But, I knew that I was to patrol for 3 days, so.. off I went. On the clipboard, for that particular Objective, the only thing there in relation to that objective, was the spy glass icon that clicking on that, will auto jump you to the Nav map & the area, you're to patrol.. that's it, which it did that job brilliantly.

I thence patrolled the assigned area, for the required 3 days 'solid' & got an all clear bell of completion.

Having completed the objective... I thence radioed in for new orders... when low & behold.. I get tasked to do a 4th... 4th shakedown cruise, yet again... say wha... what gives...????

Some how, I do NOT think that this is standard & methinketh that there is... ''Something rotten in the state of Denmark.''

If need be, I can forward all info...

Standing by... & signing off for now.

End report.

M. M.

We should probably have a disclaimer with the Aleutian campaign in that a player should NOT do a Status Update if they are east of the IDL. The distance from more action is quite far, and there are only so many missions to the east and south of Dutch Harbor that can be done. You probably overloaded the poor game - stressed it, you did!... - we'll probably go ahead and add a couple of journeys toward Kiska or Adak early also, since they were assigned in real life, although the boats didn't make it very far, due to high seas and willowaws... They had to turn back and return to Dutch Harbor for repairs...

I would like you to zip your Save folder if you can though, and upload it somewhere and send me a link, please. I would like to see that "NULL" if possible. It sounds like it was on the Mission Orders page before you sailed, correct? If so, that means whoever built that mission failed to put a Mission Objective synopsis in the tsr portion of the mission files, like "ObjectiveOne = Patrol South of Umnak for three (3) days continuous" - I wonder who would have done that?... Since the mission completed, that would be my guess. Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 08-11-21, 09:37 AM   #3742
SirMoric
Seaman

Downloads: 32

Love the MOD!

But two (three, I added one) things are nagging me.

I spotted a task force, and reported it.... that gave me a new mission, namely damage said task force.
Now problem is, I was behind the task force, which was going 20 kts away from my position.... and I'm in an S-boat. I have no chance of ever catching it, and since the mission sits in the task list, and I cannot complete it..... I cannot get any more missions.
Is there a way to forfeit missions that are unsolvable to get new ones?

Diving during day and surfacing during night, with a dip here and there to listen on the sonar (S-boat). Can that task be automated? I'm constantly pressing "s" and "p".

I'm sad I don't get any credit, or notification, for ships I have damaged. I sank a Kongo class on my first mission.... spent 8 torps sinking the guy, which seems excessive.... a few weeks later another Kongo class shows up, and my remaining 4 torps only damage him.... but noone cares when I get home
SirMoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-21, 11:23 AM   #3743
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
To: Mad Mardigan, per post #3740

We should probably have a disclaimer with the Aleutian campaign in that a player should NOT do a Status Update if they are east of the IDL. The distance from more action is quite far, and there are only so many missions to the east and south of Dutch Harbor that can be done. You probably overloaded the poor game - stressed it, you did!... - we'll probably go ahead and add a couple of journeys toward Kiska or Adak early also, since they were assigned in real life, although the boats didn't make it very far, due to high seas and willowaws... They had to turn back and return to Dutch Harbor for repairs...

I would like you to zip your Save folder if you can though, and upload it somewhere and send me a link, please. I would like to see that "NULL" if possible. It sounds like it was on the Mission Orders page before you sailed, correct? If so, that means whoever built that mission failed to put a Mission Objective synopsis in the tsr portion of the mission files, like "ObjectiveOne = Patrol South of Umnak for three (3) days continuous" - I wonder who would have done that?... Since the mission completed, that would be my guess. Thanks for the heads-up!
Ahoy propbeanie...

As for the NULL, yeah that was on the ''Mission Orders'' load screen, after clicking on the map in the office. I did send ya, via DM a snap shot of that screen... by the way.

Ok, after grabbing a bit of sleep, have that set for you to be able to d/l & look at. Check your DM here propbeanie...

M. M.

Old 08-11-21, 05:27 PM   #3744
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72

"We thank you for thanking us, by golly! (Long Live Silent Hunter - the original!!!) The sounds you are referring to are "Creaks_Level1.wav", Creaks_Level2.wav", "Creaks_Level3.wav" and "Creaks_Level4.wav", found in the Data Sound folder. If I remember correctly, "1" starts and PD, the 2 at like 100-120, and I forget where 3 & 4 kick in. But the last two especially sound like the tube is getting twisted into a pretzel... lol - Those are, for the most part, what was with the original MadMax FOTRS mod, other than being turned down in level a bit, and all shortened to be less that 15 (actually, 14 to be "safe") seconds in time. If you exceed 15 seconds by any slice of a microsecond, you will introduce sound issues into the game. The background ambient sounds can be just about any length, while any FX files have to be less that 15 seconds. Do what you want with the files, but it will cost you! You have to share what you make... lol"

Awesome...Thanks for the pointers! May I ask what you suggest would be a good sound editor?
I will be happy to share them back to you.
Old 08-11-21, 06:04 PM   #3745
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMoric View Post
Love the MOD!

But two (three, I added one) things are nagging me.

I spotted a task force, and reported it.... that gave me a new mission, namely damage said task force.
Now problem is, I was behind the task force, which was going 20 kts away from my position.... and I'm in an S-boat. I have no chance of ever catching it, and since the mission sits in the task list, and I cannot complete it..... I cannot get any more missions.
Is there a way to forfeit missions that are unsolvable to get new ones?

Diving during day and surfacing during night, with a dip here and there to listen on the sonar (S-boat). Can that task be automated? I'm constantly pressing "s" and "p".

I'm sad I don't get any credit, or notification, for ships I have damaged. I sank a Kongo class on my first mission.... spent 8 torps sinking the guy, which seems excessive.... a few weeks later another Kongo class shows up, and my remaining 4 torps only damage him.... but noone cares when I get home
1. If using the "Contact Report", you might be given an Objective, but they are not considered as "Primary" or "Secondary" Objectives, and are not worth as many points as your normal assignment (s). They also do not prevent you from getting another assignment, other than maybe another Contact Report, but if there are other "active" assignments within the proper distance (mission and DynamicMiss dependent), then a Status Report should assign you another mission. One thing to remember about these "Objectives" given, is that they are worth (generally) no more than 300 renown points, sometimes more, sometimes less, but you can "earn" more points by sinking enemy ships. What I usually do, is plan a route to my patrol assignment, and hunt on the way there, unless I have a "Proceed immediately to..." assignment, and I will head there first, and then hunt somewhere. But say you've been given northern Hokkaido as your patrol area. I would then head toward Sagami Nada outside Tokyo bay, coming in by Lot's Wife, and hang around that area for a few days, hopefully sink a ship or two, and then vacate the area, then head north along the coast, checking out some areas off of harbors maybe, but usually just cruising parallel to the coast but in deep water, checking say Sendai and Miyako, maybe nosing into Tsugaru Strait, but being mindful of the possibility of mines. Eventually working my way up to my patrol area. If you are assigned say the area off of Suruga Bay, or Myoko Bay, then you could start north and work your way south. Same thing with the Solomons. You might be assigned Ironbottom Sound, but there is nothing keeping you from heading for the Shortland Basin on the way (other than airplane activity). If you find any US submarine order examples on line, they usually had very specific routing orders, with "patrol 5 days in the first area, proceeding thence to 2nd area and patrol there for 5 days, concentrating on the traffic lanes between point A and point B"... the game does not penalize you for "failing" to complete missions. It does not have that capacity. The closest it gets is giving you negative renown for sinking a neutral or friendly ship.

2. I wish it could, but then we'd be on auto-pilot and high TC for most of the game, and then complain about getting sunk by a Betty with radar... lol

3. That is part of the game mechanics, and from all appearances, there is no way around that issue...

Quote:
Ahoy propbeanie...
As for the NULL, yeah that was on the ''Mission Orders'' load screen, after clicking on the map in the office. I did send ya, via DM a snap shot of that screen... by the way.

Ok, after grabbing a bit of sleep, have that set for you to be able to d/l & look at. Check your DM here propbeanie...
I think we found the issue, as previously stated, though it was a total of three typos in the two files for the mission, and not just one... sort of like a land mine tied to two others... sigh. If we can at least get this ST Radar to NOT bomb the Observation Periscope while out on patrol 1 Jan 1945, we'll try to get the next release out the door, which has that mission fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
"We thank you for thanking us, by golly! (Long Live Silent Hunter - the original!!!) The sounds you are referring to are "Creaks_Level1.wav", Creaks_Level2.wav", "Creaks_Level3.wav" and "Creaks_Level4.wav", found in the Data Sound folder. If I remember correctly, "1" starts and PD, the 2 at like 100-120, and I forget where 3 & 4 kick in. But the last two especially sound like the tube is getting twisted into a pretzel... lol - Those are, for the most part, what was with the original MadMax FOTRS mod, other than being turned down in level a bit, and all shortened to be less that 15 (actually, 14 to be "safe") seconds in time. If you exceed 15 seconds by any slice of a microsecond, you will introduce sound issues into the game. The background ambient sounds can be just about any length, while any FX files have to be less that 15 seconds. Do what you want with the files, but it will cost you! You have to share what you make... lol"

Awesome...Thanks for the pointers! May I ask what you suggest would be a good sound editor?
I will be happy to share them back to you.
Though somewhat difficult to work with, Audacity can do the job. You just have to "Export As..." and MS Wav to get the proper format. Just be sure you use 16-bit 44.1kHz for your format. I am somewhat partial to my old old old Sony Sound Forge v9, in spite of having a newer version from a Vegas Pro purchase a while ago...

Old 08-11-21, 07:32 PM   #3746
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Ahoy propbeanie...

M. M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I think we found the issue, as previously stated, though it was a total of three typos in the two files for the mission, and not just one... sort of like a land mine tied to two others... sigh. If we can at least get this ST Radar to NOT bomb the Observation Periscope while out on patrol 1 Jan 1945, we'll try to get the next release out the door, which has that mission fixed...
No problem, propbeanie... glad to have helped, even if it was in a small way.

M. M.

Old 08-13-21, 03:03 PM   #3747
2DarkWolf2
Swabbie

Downloads: 39

Greetings,

I've been playing Fotrsu for a few weeks now and have had a couple instances of getting damaged while underwater by seemingly nothing.

The first time I had crashed dived after an aircraft contact and once down to 165 feet I reduced speed and continued on my way with time compression. Maybe 20 minutes in game time later I suddenly received damage and there was an explosion right on top of me. I figured because after diving I continued on the same heading that I was on while on the surface that the enemy continued to attack along my last known heading and got lucky. So I started changing course after crash diving 45-90 degrees (depending on the direction the enemy aircraft was approaching) and holding that heading for awhile before continuing on my original course. This worked for me for several patrols but I just had a second incident that has me scratching my head.

I was running on the surface just before dawn and detected an aircraft. I crashed dived and did my little doe see doe then continued on. As it was so close to first light I decided to just stay down and start my days submerged patrol early. I engaged time compression and about 4 hours after I dived while still at 165 feet I was knocked out of TC with "We're taking damage!", "This damaged!", "That damaged!". I went to the external camera right away and again there was a big explosion right on top of me. I have no idea the cause of the damage though, there were no vessels around, I saw no aircraft (nothing on radar after I emergency surfaced) and I was not in a mined area.

Is this some kind of glitch I am encountering or is there some other explanation? This second incident happened off the coast of japan in january 1944 if that makes any difference.

DW
2DarkWolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 04:02 PM   #3748
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

2DarkWolf2! after an 11 year silent run,

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 06:43 PM   #3749
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DarkWolf2 View Post
Greetings,

I've been playing Fotrsu for a few weeks now and have had a couple instances of getting damaged while underwater by seemingly nothing.

The first time I had crashed dived after an aircraft contact and once down to 165 feet I reduced speed and continued on my way with time compression. Maybe 20 minutes in game time later I suddenly received damage and there was an explosion right on top of me. I figured because after diving I continued on the same heading that I was on while on the surface that the enemy continued to attack along my last known heading and got lucky. So I started changing course after crash diving 45-90 degrees (depending on the direction the enemy aircraft was approaching) and holding that heading for awhile before continuing on my original course. This worked for me for several patrols but I just had a second incident that has me scratching my head.

I was running on the surface just before dawn and detected an aircraft. I crashed dived and did my little doe see doe then continued on. As it was so close to first light I decided to just stay down and start my days submerged patrol early. I engaged time compression and about 4 hours after I dived while still at 165 feet I was knocked out of TC with "We're taking damage!", "This damaged!", "That damaged!". I went to the external camera right away and again there was a big explosion right on top of me. I have no idea the cause of the damage though, there were no vessels around, I saw no aircraft (nothing on radar after I emergency surfaced) and I was not in a mined area.

Is this some kind of glitch I am encountering or is there some other explanation? This second incident happened off the coast of japan in january 1944 if that makes any difference.

DW
DW,

welcome to

with all due respect, how do you know you were not in mine territory?
the situation sounds very much like you ran into mine country.
165 feet....that's about 50 meters.
IJN mines are set at 15 to 75 meters...depending on the location.

where off the coast were you patrolling? sea of japan? Area 4, 5, 6, 7?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 06:50 PM   #3750
propbeanie

OK 2DarkWolf2, a few preliminaries: Did you empty the Save folder before playing FotRSU? Do you have the game installed in a non-Program Files folder? Do you have LAA (or similar) properly enabled on the SH4.exe file? Have you done any mod adding or deleting between Saves? When you Save, are you using unique names each time? Do not save on top of the previous Save.

Now, FotRSU is based upon TMO v1.7, so it has the same set-up to where your submarine is visible beneath the surface, at depths up to roughly 160 feet. This also depends upon how "high" in altitude a plane over-flies your location. Generally speaking, you should be fine cruising around at 120 foot depth - usually. There are ASW airplanes constantly on patrol, such as the H6K, H8K, Lorna, and especialy Betty & Judy that can all carry regular bombs, as well as depth charges. Second of all, there are minefields out there, especially in Empire Waters. Here is a portion of the file that holds them:

There are more north of there, more south of there, more off of Formosa, off of Korea, in the Korean Strait, Tsushima Strait, Tsugaru Strait, etc... So you can indeed run into mines. Let us know though, where you were Lat / Long wise, and we'll see what we can see in the area. As another note, airplanes will usually fly over your last-known location twice. In 1944, it might be radar, and if it is, and it is something like a Betty or bigger, they will drop a couple of bombs near you last radar location, then come back and do a couple of more, further along your last-known travel line, and if they still have bombs left, might do a 3rd pass. If the plane used HF/DF to zero-in on your location, then they may not drop bombs the first pass. But if they saw you, they will drop and drop until they run out, then they'll call their buddies to come get ya...