SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-21, 08:58 AM   #3586
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Yes just understood at the same time of course that it is in the backup what con that I am
what do you want I do not yet have the amplitude of veterans like you ... I am learning ..
Kal,

Here is the decision tree:

if you do not have a Sargo career in progress, then just implement the change PB documented yesterday to the NSS_Sargo.upc in the Data\Submarine\NSS_Sargo folder. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3570
then start a new career.

if you have a Sargo career underway, you need to make the change above.... and then change the conditions of your current boat, with the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file, which can be found in the Savefolder which PB published in his last, long reply (does PB ever have short replies?). https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3583

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 09:32 AM   #3587
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Kal,

Here is the decision tree:

if you do not have a Sargo career in progress, then just implement the change PB documented yesterday to the NSS_Sargo.upc in the Data\Submarine\NSS_Sargo folder. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3570
then start a new career.

if you have a Sargo career underway, you need to make the change above.... and then change the conditions of your current boat, with the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file, which can be found in the Savefolder which PB published in his last, long reply (does PB ever have short replies?). https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3583

Yes Kaleun Marco thank you .. I am on it as well as propbeanie I see what to do .. I have started to set up .. I must be careful and do Backups because I do not want to break my installation .. I keep you posted but today is my birthday and I have obligations ...
but I will give news as soon as possible I can really feel your work...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 10:32 AM   #3588
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Yes Kaleun Marco thank you .. I am on it as well as propbeanie I see what to do .. I have started to set up .. I must be careful and do Backups because I do not want to break my installation .. I keep you posted but today is my birthday and I have obligations ...
but I will give news as soon as possible I can really feel your work...
please do not hurry on my part....just wanted to explain what needs to be done so that you can understand it, because you seemed to be confused.

e Bon Anniversaire, Mon Ami.

LAA enabled
Old 07-01-21, 02:11 PM   #3589
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
please do not hurry on my part....just wanted to explain what needs to be done so that you can understand it, because you seemed to be confused.

e Bon Anniversaire, Mon Ami.
:Kaleun_Salut :

yes thank you. this birthday story distracted me ...
why tell me don't hurry ... have you already checked ... does it work ..
Have you noticed my screens and yours, we don't have the same number of slots already ...
for my part I start in Brisbane middle 1944 class Sargo
Old 07-01-21, 02:23 PM   #3590
TitanicThomas
Swabbie

Downloads: 51

Hey so dont know if there is something I could add to fix this or if I just have to push through it. But is there a way to turn off famous ships from respawning after they sink?

I had a run where I sank Akagi and kaga on their return form pearl harbor, sailed back to base and set out again, but not even that long later I ran into Akagi again, sailing as if I did not sink her. It threw me a bit off as I know only one Akagi exist... and I really did not understand it much but that might also be a case of me having a problem of not knowing modding much.

So I just come here to ask if there is something I did wrong or is there something I can add to fix this issue?
TitanicThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 09:39 PM   #3591
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Crew Slots for AA Guns

In May 1944 in Balao out of Manus Island Forward Base I was offered twin 40mm guns. However I did not get added crew slots for each of those. I did a little research here on the forum and found the correction entries to add an additional crewman for each gun on page 224, , but could not find the name of the FILE in which to make the changes!
1. Can someone give me a path and/or File Name where I can find the AA Gun crew slots?
2. Is this fix incorporated in the "fix" version that follows v1.46?

I'm assuming the added slots were not included in 1.46, as it doesn't work, at least for me.

Under the assumption that the crew slot changes were made in 1.46, I added the two 40mm guns, exited the game, and restarted it, but no added slots were shown.

Perhaps I missed something simple?

Thanks for your help.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 12:25 AM   #3592
scheffg89
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 70
Default New Desktop

My older desktop had issues with the mod (which is great btw) after a few hours like RTD. I got a new desktop which is much better and the mod is activated without issue, I get through all the screens normally until I hit proceed into the mission. Once I get on the boat the music is repeating and I have no functions or abilities. Side note, I downloaded the mod using Firefox and Microsoft edge, G Chrome would not allow me to download this mod, although it allows me to download other mods.

I am using steam, any ideas?
scheffg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 01:46 AM   #3593
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

scheffg89!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 08:13 AM   #3594
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicThomas View Post
Hey so dont know if there is something I could add to fix this or if I just have to push through it. But is there a way to turn off famous ships from respawning after they sink?

I had a run where I sank Akagi and kaga on their return form pearl harbor, sailed back to base and set out again, but not even that long later I ran into Akagi again, sailing as if I did not sink her. It threw me a bit off as I know only one Akagi exist... and I really did not understand it much but that might also be a case of me having a problem of not knowing modding much.

So I just come here to ask if there is something I did wrong or is there something I can add to fix this issue?
There is no issue to fix. That is the way the game is. What you did wrong was to expect the game to be a true simulation. To do as you desire, the ship involved would have to be removed by the user with an additional mod. Each ship would have to have a mod to remove it. In addition, the Roster would have to be updated, which would involve an on-the-fly assembly. Oodles of complexity. Then there are the campaign files, with many thousands of entries. This will not be implemented in FotRSU. You'll have to learn to deal with it if you play FotRSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
In May 1944 in Balao out of Manus Island Forward Base I was offered twin 40mm guns. However I did not get added crew slots for each of those. I did a little research here on the forum and found the correction entries to add an additional crewman for each gun on page 224, , but could not find the name of the FILE in which to make the changes!
1. Can someone give me a path and/or File Name where I can find the AA Gun crew slots?

I'm assuming the added slots were not included in 1.46, as it doesn't work, at least for me.

Under the assumption that the crew slot changes were made in 1.46, I added the two 40mm guns, exited the game, and restarted it, but no added slots were shown.

Thanks for your help.
Nothing is simple with this... First of all, did you purchase the gun early for renown points? Under "normal" circumstances, they are not available until after 1st June 1944. Second, if you did purchase, had you previously moved the deck gun (which really should not be a factor, but I do still worry about that). Thirdly, the UnitParts3Balao.upc is the game file that holds the AA guns & crew positions in the Data / UPCData / UPCUnitsData folder, while once the game is running, will be in the Save folder, data / cfg / SaveGames / "NumberedFolder" / ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file, where "NumberedFolder" is the most recent folder - which you might have two of, with one for the Captain's Office and the other for either the arrival or departure, dependent upon where you were when you Saved. You want to look for "UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot " (there is a "1" and "2" position) and "Compartment 3", which would be your Aft and Fore AA gun positions. You may or may not find that "AdditionalRepository" phrase in your file(s). Look in that "NewColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file in the Support / HowTo folder for the deck gun example, which should be relatively similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheffg89 View Post
My older desktop had issues with the mod (which is great btw) after a few hours like RTD. I got a new desktop which is much better and the mod is activated without issue, I get through all the screens normally until I hit proceed into the mission. Once I get on the boat the music is repeating and I have no functions or abilities. Side note, I downloaded the mod using Firefox and Microsoft edge, G Chrome would not allow me to download this mod, although it allows me to download other mods.

I am using steam, any ideas?
It all depends upon where you installed the game. If the mod is activated without issue, then the place to check would be your use of LAA - or the failure of same. Open the Large Address Aware.exe file in the game's root folder and navigate in it to your SH4.exe file and make certain it is indeed activated. If it is not, and you had already run LAA on the file, then check the Windows Properties for the file and clear the "Read-only" attribute and run LAA again on the SH4.exe file. Consult the pdf files in the Support folder for all manner of instruction, or the first page of the thread here, or on the Download page for the same. In a nutshell:
1. The base SH4 game must be version 1.5 with the Uboat Missions. If you do not have a choice for a German career, you have the wrong version.
2. The game canNOT be in a Windows program file, and this includes a Steam install that was made to the "C\:Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter..." folder, since Windows will "kills" all attempts to mod. See Moving a Steam Installation and Games
3. LAA or some other applet that sets the header bits on the SH4.exe file to signify to the Windows OS that the SH4 app is capable of addressing more memory MUST be used.
4. You MUST empty the game Save folder prior to playing the modded game ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4")
5. The video stream should match from the display monitor's "Native" resolution to Windows "recommended" setting to the game's Options display settings for best video performance - you most likely will have to set some of the "Compatibility" settings on the SH4.exe Properties page also. See this in Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10
If you have more troubles, post with more detail next time about your install.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 08:54 AM   #3595
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
who can say what you missed. unlike some, we are not looking over your shoulder. {laugh here}

i suspect that you need to edit your current mission file.
go to your savefolder area (data\cfg\SaveGames"NumberedFolder" and sort the Numbered folders by date. drill down on the most recent and look for the file named ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc.

select that file name. using your keyboard, do a Ctrl+c and then a Ctrl+v. this will make a copy of the file before you begin the changes.

use Notepad or a simple text editor to open the Activeuser file. browse through the file....touch nothing!!!!

look for the crewmembers for the 40 mm. you should see the phrase "AdditionalRepository" delete just those characters. save and close. that should fix your issue.
if it doesn't then there is something more serious afoot.

LAA enabled
Old 07-02-21, 04:09 PM   #3596
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Hey team Fotrs
yesterday I played RFB 2.0 to observe how to get Sargo ...
not being familiar with these mods .. having encountered problems on FoTrS .. so I was able to get Sargo nov 44
but the construction is different..that says the number of torpedo slots 4 rear tubes +4 torpedoes in reserve how do you manage to have 6 torpedoes in reserve ... (Kaleun Marco)
when did the Sargo class become available in reality? good you know this answer you gentleman .. me no n I am not familiar with American submarine warfare .. I am more Atlantic Uboat .. but I discover it is all so fascinating ..
Old 07-02-21, 04:55 PM   #3597
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hey team Fotrs
yesterday I played RFB 2.0 to observe how to get Sargo ...
not being familiar with these mods .. having encountered problems on FoTrS .. so I was able to get Sargo nov 44
but the construction is different..that says the number of torpedo slots 4 rear tubes +4 torpedoes in reserve how do you manage to have 6 torpedoes in reserve ... (Kaleun Marco)
when did the Sargo class become available in reality? good you know this answer you gentleman .. me no n I am not familiar with American submarine warfare .. I am more Atlantic Uboat .. but I discover it is all so fascinating ..
Sargo Class Submarine

why do i have 6 torpedoes in reserve? because I Am Kaleun Marco.

LAA enabled
Old 07-03-21, 07:42 AM   #3598
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Nothing is simple with this... First of all, did you purchase the gun early for renown points? Under "normal" circumstances, they are not available until after 1st June 1944. Second, if you did purchase, had you previously moved the deck gun (which really should not be a factor, but I do still worry about that). Thirdly, the UnitParts3Balao.upc is the game file that holds the AA guns & crew positions in the Data / UPCData / UPCUnitsData folder, while once the game is running, will be in the Save folder, data / cfg / SaveGames / "NumberedFolder" / ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file, where "NumberedFolder" is the most recent folder - which you might have two of, with one for the Captain's Office and the other for either the arrival or departure, dependent upon where you were when you Saved. You want to look for "UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot " (there is a "1" and "2" position) and "Compartment 3", which would be your Aft and Fore AA gun positions. You may or may not find that "AdditionalRepository" phrase in your file(s). Look in that "NewColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file in the Support / HowTo folder for the deck gun example, which should be relatively similar.
1. No, did not purchase early for renown. It was offered at no cost on arrival to new Forward Base at Manus Island - Arrival date there was MAY 24, 1944.
2. I did not change the deck gun position this time or since encountering the crew missing problem back several versions ago. It wasn't worth the work, so I take it where the game places it.
3. Will the file changes to incorporate the additional gunners be added to a future version? If I have to go through the somewhat complex process to do it myself I'd rather wait for it to appear in a mod (bless you modders!) or just do without as I have so far.
4. Thanks for all you do for us!

Old 07-03-21, 08:16 AM   #3599
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:

i suspect that you need to edit your current mission file.
go to your savefolder area (data\cfg\SaveGames"NumberedFolder" and sort the Numbered folders by date. drill down on the most recent and look for the file named ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc.

select that file name. using your keyboard, do a Ctrl+c and then a Ctrl+v. this will make a copy of the file before you begin the changes.

use Notepad or a simple text editor to open the Activeuser file. browse through the file....touch nothing!!!!

look for the crewmembers for the 40 mm. you should see the phrase "AdditionalRepository" delete just those characters. save and close. that should fix your issue.
if it doesn't then there is something more serious afoot.
Ok, I went to Documents/SH4/Data/Cfg/savedgames and sorted by date to get the latest Save (from yesterday). I took the save while in the Makassar Strait midway through a mission.

I made a copy using Ctl-C and Ctl-V, then opened the "original" version, did a search for "AdditionalRepository" and found 2 of them. Not knowing which was which, I deleted BOTH of the phrases. Each was in a flak gun section.

Restarted the game and loaded the changed Save Game. All loaded fine, but alas, the added crew slots were not shown on the crew management page. Everything looks and seems to operate normally. Sigh.

I suppose I should not have deleted one of the two "AdditionalRepository" entries, but which one? I'll go back to the Saved Copy, reset it to be the original, and try deleting just one of them, starting with the 2nd one. I'll let you know. Thanks for your suggestions!

EDIT: i WENT BACK TO MAKE THE CHANGES AGAIN, AND THIS TIME I FOUND FOUR ENTRIES WITH THE "AdditionalRepository" PHRASE. ANY IDEA WHICH ONE(S) SHOULD BE DELETED?

Last edited by torpedobait; 07-03-21 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-03-21, 10:03 AM   #3600
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Restarted the game and loaded the changed Save Game. All loaded fine, but alas, the added crew slots were not shown on the crew management page. Everything looks and seems to operate normally. Sigh.

I suppose I should not have deleted one of the two "AdditionalRepository" entries, but which one? I'll go back to the Saved Copy, reset it to be the original, and try deleting just one of them, starting with the 2nd one. I'll let you know. Thanks for your suggestions!

EDIT: i WENT BACK TO MAKE THE CHANGES AGAIN, AND THIS TIME I FOUND FOUR ENTRIES WITH THE "AdditionalRepository" PHRASE. ANY IDEA WHICH ONE(S) SHOULD BE DELETED?
your safest route is to do this while in-port.
making changes to your config during a mission is very, very risky. you may end up being unexpectedly transported to the land of CTD...very unexpectedly.

my suggestion is to live with the no-crew-on-the-flak-guns until you return to port.

next, what you experienced is a bug in the Ubi-SH4 design-and-code. just when we think we have modded around it, it returns.

next, there is no "right" or "wrong" crewman to enable (removing the additionalrepository). you need to remove at least one to be able to assign crew. i'll reply with a different post so that there will be less confusion.

good luck!

LAA enabled