SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-27-21, 10:18 AM   #3541
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
I've run into an issue where many of the Japanese ships are completely black as if they are missing textures. I'm currently using FOTRS 1.46 + Nippon Maru 1.2.1, which as supposedly compatible, but it seems like the issue might be between these two mods as its the Japanese ships that are affected. I've tried uninstalling all the mods and reinstalling them as well as deleting my saves and doing the same again, but to no luck. To that end, has anyone seen this before and if so, how can I fix it?

Thanks

PS: Here is my current mod list in case anyone can see any additional issues and/or other causes for this issue

Code:
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.46_EN
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.46
Speech_Overhaul
New Sounds for Fleetboat_Interior-Officer Quarters mod
Enhanced  Sounds for SH4
Carotio_IntercontinentalRadioPack
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
454_EasyAOB_FotRSU
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
FOTRSU_1.46_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
Realistic Floor Tiles for Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarter
^^ torpd tex fix for FotRSU
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_FOTRSU
Periscope wake splash for FOTRSU
Aircraft_reflections
  TMONewDepthChargesType2

EDIT: So after closer inspection, its not actually "many" ships, but specifically the Heiyo Maru troop transport and I was just seeing multiple instances of it and had difficulty identifying them without textures. Not sure if this is something to bring up here or on the Nippon Maru thread, or even somewhere else entirely.

EDIT2: Another thing to note is that this only seems to occur while out on campaign as the ship looks just fine in the museum (I don't know about one-off missions as I've not found the ship in one yet).
Ahoy, AviatorMan...

it may be with the exact order that you have them installed.

I am using those same mods in on a SH4 copy I have set up, & based on info, aka advice... from propbeanie, I dumped My game save folder, after deactivating them & reordered the mods on that advice & have not had any issues thus far.

Their advice... ''put all special effects mods last, with the sounds first, then the graphics.''

Based on that, I sent you a pm here with the mod list as it now stands, based on that advice.
Hope this & the info in that pm, helps...

M. M.

Old 06-27-21, 04:38 PM   #3542
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default MOD list

Hey Mardigan

this is my list no problem in instant:Ouais:

[MODS]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN=1
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.46_EN=2
Realistic Floor Tiles for Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarter=3
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1=4
452_MoonlightzSonarLines=5
801_UMark Invisible=6
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=7
New Sounds for Fleetboat_Interior-Officer Quarters mod=8
DrJester's Environment Overhaul=9
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.46=10
SH4_original_4k_light_gray_less_rust=11
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_FOTR SU=12
Enhanced Sounds for SH4=13
Z01_Flaminus Add-on for FotRSU 1.46=14
Speech_Overhaul=15
Torpedo's No Red Gauges=16
Periscope Wake Splash for FOTRSU 1.46=17
GATO REDFIN SS 272=18

amicalement KM_U669
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 04:44 PM   #3543
pnig
Swabbie

Downloads: 80
Default Newbie here

I am starting with a fresh reload. I have a v-1.3 version. Where do I find the V-1.5 with the U-Boats?
pnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 04:52 PM   #3544
AviatorMan
Watch

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, AviatorMan...

it may be with the exact order that you have them installed.

I am using those same mods in on a SH4 copy I have set up, & based on info, aka advice... from propbeanie, I dumped My game save folder, after deactivating them & reordered the mods on that advice & have not had any issues thus far.

Their advice... ''put all special effects mods last, with the sounds first, then the graphics.''

Based on that, I sent you a pm here with the mod list as it now stands, based on that advice.
Hope this & the info in that pm, helps...

M. M.

As I mentioned in a DM response to you, I'm using almost exactly the same load order that you've linked to me in a private message and none of the differences have files which affect this ship as far as I can tell so I don't think they would lead to just one ship being without textures and only while out in the game world. I could be wrong however, but it just seems like an oddly specific bug to attribute to something like load order when I'm using the load order you've already got working...

EDIT: I've tried swapping Fleet Boat interiors with Nippon Maru so that there is nothing that overwrites Nippon Maru and then restarted a new career (deleting whats in the saves folder) and beelining to that same convoy with no change... the Heiyo Marus are all still black without textures.

Last edited by AviatorMan; 06-27-21 at 05:21 PM.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 04:53 PM   #3545
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnig View Post
I am starting with a fresh reload. I have a v-1.3 version. Where do I find the V-1.5 with the U-Boats?
welcome aboard.
go here, first: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=cyberknight

then find it on Amazon.
if it is no longer there, go to Steam.
Be careful and be sure you purchase 1.5 with Uboats (aka Gold Edition)

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 06:04 PM   #3546
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ubisoft US Store

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 06:36 PM   #3547
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Pro shop ..

forgive me I couldn't resist
Old 06-27-21, 09:46 PM   #3548
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
I've not yet found anything to shoot at yet, but the constant reminders to only use the correct number of torpedoes has me wondering if early war commanders knew just how likely their torps were to be duds and as a result fired more than needed just to be safe, or did they not really know the extent of the issue and often find themselves running to hide after firing 1-2 duds?

Oh man, where to begin on this one lol .

Well, the skippers of the early patrols had no idea about the duds, prematures , deep, and circle runners until after Dec 7 and boats went into action. Obviously Asiatic Fleet submarines experienced them first as saw combat first. Naturally they were out of touch with one another and even first few attacks were not sure but when it kept happening, they were aware. If I recall, the CO of the Sargo in Dec 1941 sent a message to command regarding the torpedo issue. Felt issue was serious enough to break radio silence.

Having said that, they were trained in torpedo discipline, to fire one or two torpedo for most targets because torpedoes were costly, a limited number could be carried, and the top secret magnetic detonator was designed so could in theory bring down pretty much any ship with one or two torpedoes. Reading early patrol reports, if I recall most were firing just one or two per target initially. Some boats it was necessary. Take a porpoise for example, fire four torpedoes in one attack, that is quarter of torpedoes on board.

Some of the old hands were removed for not producing in spite of obviously the torpedoes were to blame in many cases, some adjusted to firing a full spread, figuring well if fire say four torpedoes, one of them is bound to work properly.

Although the torpedo issues were eventually solved, the two years of toiling along with them was ingrained in the submarine force by then and many skippers developed a penchant for firing several at each target. I recall O Kane mentioning in "CLEAR THE BRIDGE" someone questioning his firing of four torpedoes at a target when two would do the job, and his reasoning was to make sure the ship was finished. Several others were known for firing a "nest full." Of course, it depended on circumstances but the pre war torpedo conservation attitude was pretty much out after late 1942.

Far as how this applies in SH 4.

Really depends on the situation. and variety of factors....What type of target is it? Would you fire four torpedoes at a 1500 ton freighter? No. Tanker? Yes. Tankers a priority vessels. Those that are loaded with fuel will blow up nice after one solid hit usually but never know so I always fire 2-3 at a tanker.

How confident are you in your firing solution? A target have tracked for a while, have a solid speed etc and range is not bad, ma not need the extra fish but something not as confident in, always a good idea to spread them out.

Another factor in the sim if the torpedoes. Are you using Mark 14, 23, or the 18? The 18 has smaller warhead than the 14 and 23. The Mark 16 has a large warhead...one torpedo impacted the side will take out most ships, but usually fire two to make sure. Of course, the MK 16 has very limited use since its a end of the war item.

Torpedoes are also kind of underpowered in the sim. I had to adjust them in TMO , took a lot of testing to get the realistic results, dont want them too powerful but not underpowered. Also, they improved during the war In late 1942 and early 1943 torpedo warheads were switched to torpex explosive, which was much more powerful. This was not modeled in the sim but I have done so in TMO, there is a noticeable different in the effectiveness of a MK14 in 1942 and 1943-onwards.

So I would say consider all factors and act accordingly, really depends on your situation etc. but is a good idea to use a few torpedoes per target as needed so can stay out a while and have chance to sink more vessels, see more things in the sim.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 10:51 PM   #3549
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
As I mentioned in a DM response to you, I'm using almost exactly the same load order that you've linked to me in a private message and none of the differences have files which affect this ship as far as I can tell so I don't think they would lead to just one ship being without textures and only while out in the game world. I could be wrong however, but it just seems like an oddly specific bug to attribute to something like load order when I'm using the load order you've already got working...

EDIT: I've tried swapping Fleet Boat interiors with Nippon Maru so that there is nothing that overwrites Nippon Maru and then restarted a new career (deleting whats in the saves folder) and beelining to that same convoy with no change... the Heiyo Marus are all still black without textures.
Nippon Maru should be first after FotRSU. The Interiors mod should be one of the last ones you put in, with only other vickers03 mods that pertain to it, and / or flaminus's mod for dressing things up further. Near as I can tell though, from several hours of testing the Heiyo Maru ship and others around it, is that in all the tests, of which I have done roughly a dozen, 1941, 42, 43, 44 & 45, and never saw a hint of trouble. I saw early war plain color skins, early war simple razzle dazzle, mid war complex razzle dazzle and later versions - all of which deserve a shout-out to the magnificent max-peck who did all of the Razzle Dazzle for us, btw. Anyway, the ships sink fine also, no issues in that regard either. I do not recognize about a third of what you or MM or KM_U669 have in your mods lists, and I know we haven't tested at least half of what you guys have. My recommendation is to remove mods until you find the trouble, which can take some time... I have a SingleMission made up if you guys want to use that, since the SingleMissions do load the full campaign, and can function as a testing ground... Other than that, make certain your Windows video stream matches ie: the monitor's "Native" resolution, which Windows calls "(recommended)" is used for the Windows setting, and then try to match that in SH4, unless you have a super-high resolution monitor, like 4k or greater, and then you might want to use 1920x1080. Then make certain that you have set the SH4.exe Windows Properties.

Again, this will take experimentation to get the least intrusive set of settings that allow the game to function. You also have to be certain that you do not have background processes interfering, and that either LAA or another 4Gig patch is properly set on the SH4.exe file. The easiest way to check that is to open the program again and look at SH4.exe for its settings. You also have to have emptied the Save folder after activating major - and sometimes minor - mods, so that the game properly pulls the correct information into the game for use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Pro shop ..

forgive me I couldn't resist
- - but for $2.50 US currency, you cannot argue with the savings! - though one does have to be careful with the 'new' DRM schemes they keep coming up with... - btw, that corporate logo almost looks like "microfarad"... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-27-21 at 11:03 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 01:43 AM   #3550
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Oh man, where to begin on this one lol...

Snip
This is a good read, thanks for the detailed reply!

Quote:
Nippon Maru should be first after FotRSU...

Snip
So I'm getting this behavior with only FOTRS and NM and no other mods. I've tried setting up the windows app settings as you've pictured, but the game refuses to launch when I set it to run as administrator and the other settings don't seem to have any effect on this specific issue. I'm going to try redownloading both mods in the hopes that its just a corrupted texture file causing this.

On a side note however, are those Razzle Dazzle camos already included in FOTRS / NM, or are they a separate download? The fact that the basic texture seems fine in the museum but then when I'm finding them out in the world they are black seems somewhat indicative of the game calling a texture that doesn't exist and maybe I'm missing a set of textures here...

EDIT: And I did double check that I had LAA set correctly
Old 06-28-21, 02:00 AM   #3551
Ihatethis
Swabbie

Downloads: 30

Quote:
but for $2.50 US currency, you cannot argue with the savings!
Giving money to the company who killed the series is pretty morally wrong. By buying SH, poor souls just sponsoring production of Far Cry 10 and Assassin's Creed 25. For subsim fan it's same as committing war crimes.
Ihatethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 04:50 AM   #3552
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
This is a good read, thanks for the detailed reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethis View Post
Giving money to the company who killed the series is pretty morally wrong. By buying SH, poor souls just sponsoring production of Far Cry 10 and Assassin's Creed 25. For subsim fan it's same as committing war crimes.

EDIT: And I did double check that I had LAA set correctly
Ihatethis
"Giving money to the company that killed the show is quite morally wrong"
yes I understand you but any work has copyright otherwise it kills the work .. yes for what you say then ... we have been on the street with them for a long time ... where is this time or who has made take off the company Ubi thanks to the player pc ... now our market is not profitable !!! for them we are too demanding here !!! par like these consolers .. mass production is more beneficial besides I thought I understood that the gameplay had to evolve but for the moment it is episodic recycling ... good "AviatorMan" I hope that you will not give up so quickly! ! to enjoy this game you have to know how to accept defeat .. what do you want "all work deserves salary ..." but you have tremendous support here to start here "propbeanie" (logo tinker in haste yesterday for the occasion) " Bubblehead1980 "" KaleunMarco "" Mad Mardigan "
you cannot afford to fail.
je tous les veterants ici... qui travaille d arrache pieds
.. Amicalement KM_U669

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 06-28-21 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 08:23 AM   #3553
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Ihatethis
"Giving money to the company that killed the show is quite morally wrong"
yes I understand you but any work has copyright otherwise it kills the work .. yes for what you say then ... we have been on the street with them for a long time ... where is this time or who has made take off the company Ubi thanks to the player pc ... now our market is not profitable !!! for them we are too demanding here !!! par like these consolers .. mass production is more beneficial besides I thought I understood that the gameplay had to evolve but for the moment it is episodic recycling ... good "AviatorMan" I hope that you will not give up so quickly! ! to enjoy this game you have to know how to accept defeat .. what do you want "all work deserves salary ..." but you have tremendous support here to start here "propbeanie" (logo tinker in haste yesterday for the occasion) " Bubblehead1980 "" KaleunMarco "" Mad Mardigan "
you cannot afford to fail.
je tous les veterants ici... qui travaille d arrache pieds
.. Amicalement KM_U669

I think you replied to the wrong message... I never said anything about buying the game being wrong, nor about giving up, just what my next step in trying to resolve the black ship problem would be.
Old 06-28-21, 09:30 AM   #3554
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
I think you replied to the wrong message... I never said anything about buying the game being wrong, nor about giving up, just what my next step in trying to resolve the black ship problem would be.
no I should have .. quite simply integrated two folds of yours ... it's that of Ihatethis (just corrected) which I can be stupid anyway ... but that said you misunderstood anyway ..! ! you are the one asking for help with graphics problems ...
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...9&postcount=27 remember ...
could you understand this graphical problem? ... are you using nvidiaInspector?
KM_U669

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 06-28-21 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 05:42 PM   #3555
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
no I should have .. quite simply integrated two folds of yours ... it's that of Ihatethis (just corrected) which I can be stupid anyway ... but that said you misunderstood anyway ..! ! you are the one asking for help with graphics problems ...
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...9&postcount=27 remember ...
could you understand this graphical problem? ... are you using nvidiaInspector?
KM_U669
Just a point for future reference, if you click the little button a the bottom right of a post that has a " and a + on it, it will allow you to quote multiple messages with each having its own properly formatted quote box including the name of the person you're quoting. Just click it on each message you want to reply to and then click the "post reply" button and you should have each already quoted and read to be responded to in the reply box. That should help to alleviate the confusion in the future.