SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-21, 06:55 AM   #3481
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
These pictures are from a srago in Jan 1943, Asia fleet. But I have encoutered this problem in many other caeses. As far as I know, Date and sub types have nothing to do with the uniform.

The uniform setting in 1.46 is pretty good. To remove the rank insignia, only editing the textures files would be a safer way and much easier as well.

BTW, It seems that many of the new conning tower flags are not in correct position.
Yes, that's all that was done, was to remove the appropriate dds files for the insignia, which is why I am at a loss presently for this. When testing all of the starts previously for all of the boats, all of those were done through the career starts, some of which were during the dark hours, which is how a person can miss the khakis. The watch crew goes with the conning towers, of course, so the boats and date can make a difference, but what happened with conn_03?... I'm wondering if the cold weather clothing set-ups I did messed it up, since most of that was done last...

As for the flags, yes, most of those are too high on the pole, and will be adjusted further. The main idea of the Preview is to allow you guys to see the conning tower changes, and to see what else we messed up... - but if all of the jg and higher are top-side, who's running the boat?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 07:51 AM   #3482
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yes, that's all that was done, was to remove the appropriate dds files for the insignia, which is why I am at a loss presently for this. When testing all of the starts previously for all of the boats, all of those were done through the career starts, some of which were during the dark hours, which is how a person can miss the khakis. The watch crew goes with the conning towers, of course, so the boats and date can make a difference, but what happened with conn_03?... I'm wondering if the cold weather clothing set-ups I did messed it up, since most of that was done last...

As for the flags, yes, most of those are too high on the pole, and will be adjusted further. The main idea of the Preview is to allow you guys to see the conning tower changes, and to see what else we messed up... - but if all of the jg and higher are top-side, who's running the boat?...
When I said "editing the textures files", i mean editing each dds file itself to remove the insignia by image software, such as photoshop, not removing the dds files.

I just find the reason for this problem is that the code in "Data\UPCData\UPCCrewData\CrewMembers3D.upc" don't match the dds filenames in "Data\Textures\TNormal\tex", since the preview16 only changed the dds files and didn't change the .upc file accordingly.

And for the flags, I believe they will be right in the future.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 08:07 AM   #3483
propbeanie

I think I may have only partially made the change by removing the rank images and not putting back the original un-ranked images for the Preview - they were there before in the early stages of testing, I can attest to that, but they aren't there now... = therefore, the game is pulling a nearby dds bust_od01 instead, or whatever file is at hand... I claim "oldmanitis" as my excuse, and I am sticking to it...

Old 06-22-21, 09:02 AM   #3484
flaminus
Sparky

It's hard to make everything right in a short time, especially dealing with such a mega mod.
Old 06-22-21, 09:44 AM   #3485
propbeanie

Ain't that the truth?... - in the meantime, try this:

Preview_EnlistedFix.7z

I am going through the boats again now... if it works, I'll add it to the Preview link, and then incorporate it into the whole package... unless I broke something else now...

Thus far, looks proper...

Old 06-22-21, 11:01 AM   #3486
flaminus
Sparky

Yes It's OK now.
Old 06-22-21, 04:40 PM   #3487
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Icon1

I got to thinking that maybe my installation of the 100 FalloftheRisingSun Preview16 was corrupt. So, I took the steps to remove the mod from JSMGE, compared the game to the snapshot which, it was discovered to have two different and one new. I read the instructions to SH4CMS, removed the MOD folder from SH4. Let SH4CMD do it's magic, Thanks Rockin Robbins for this wonder program! Moved the MOD folder back into it's location (C:\Ubisoft\Wolves of the Pacific). Let JSMGE activate ...Preview 16 mod, removed the data folder from the save folder. Started SH4, set my options for display, gameplay and music. Exit the game back to desktop and started SH4 again. Started a new career in Fleet Boat Campaign. When I was leaving Pearl Harbor, I when to the sonar station. It was the same, nothing changed. The dials at the bridge <F4> looked the same also.

Deleted the save folder data folder, replaced the one removed earlier. Restarted SH4. I was able to pick up where I left off without any problems.

The FotRS Ultimate v. 1.46 sonar station and bridge didn't look this way.

I know it isn't said enough team but, THANK YOU for what you are doing.
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8

Last edited by Larrywb57; 07-17-21 at 09:24 PM. Reason: When I was changing to Preview 16, I forgot to add the Nippon Maru v. 1.3, my bad. Since the Porpoise is working great.
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 05:39 PM   #3488
AviatorMan
Watch

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You have something incorrect in the mod activation. Do not have the game installed in a "Program Files" folder. Did you delete the Save folder data before playing the modded game? That would be C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 by default. If you don't clear that folder prior to playing FotRSU, then you would end up with a mix of what you had previously, and FotRSU, unless you use MultiSH4. You would also need a separate, clean SH4 install. I would de-activate the mod, empty the Save folder, then re-activate the mod, and see what it does after that. You should have SD radar on your boat from the start of the war, even if using an S-Boat, even though they historically did not have it. You do have to turn it on (use the <T> key to toggle it) if you want to use it. Use Rockin Robbins video. I usually crash dive...

Reinstalling the mod after clearing the saved folder appears to have fixed the issue, though I'd not actually run the game since installation prior to installing the mod in the first place, so idk why there would have been any conflicts. Whatever the case, aircraft now appear to patrol instead of popping up already attacking right on top of me, so thanks for helping me clear that up.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 05:52 PM   #3489
AviatorMan
Watch

I have a new question... I just got a mission to patrol Lamon bay for 10 days, but the circle around the target area is absolutely tiny at ~25NM. Now its been a while since I've played, but iirc you have to finish at least one assignment to avoid a failed mission result, so I'm wondering if I've got to stay within that little circle for 10 days, or if the actual area is larger? This is especially true for this bay since most of it is too shallow to dive, which would force me into hiding in the few areas that are deeper than 50ft...

Thanks

EDIT: IIRC in previous iterations of my playthroughs, you had to be within 100NM for it to count, so I'm just not sure if the circle is the actual zone required for completion or just a visual indicator of the place you're supposed to patrol near.

EDIT2: I've noticed that I keep getting messages to use one engine only to conserve fuel. Is this a feature that's been added by the mod, or maybe something that's always been there that I've never known about, or is it really just some flavor text? Thanks again.

Last edited by AviatorMan; 06-22-21 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 06:31 PM   #3490
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
I have a new question... I just got a mission to patrol Lamon bay for 10 days, but the circle around the target area is absolutely tiny at ~25NM. Now its been a while since I've played, but iirc you have to finish at least one assignment to avoid a failed mission result, so I'm wondering if I've got to stay within that little circle for 10 days, or if the actual area is larger? This is especially true for this bay since most of it is too shallow to dive, which would force me into hiding in the few areas that are deeper than 50ft...
Thanks
If that's where think it is... there should be some fairly deep channels running through there... with a lake sized area in the area as well.
I got a patrol in that area, on 1 career I was doing in v1.39, after I finished off patrolling Apari for 10 days... there should be enough area there, to safely patrol, again... iirc the area in question.

Best advice, stay inside the green circle area.. for best results. you can... exit out of there, but, it stops the clock on keeping up with the 10 day count, but as soon as you go back in, it does pick up with continuing to count down the 10 day clock... so no need to worry that exiting out will restart that 10 day clock. (which, it may kick out a completed mission objective before the 10 days is up... not sure if that will do so all the time or I just got lucky to complete after 5-6 days... )

Quote:
EDIT: IIRC in previous iterations of my playthroughs, you had to be within 100NM for it to count, so I'm just not sure if the circle is the actual zone required for completion or just a visual indicator of the place you're supposed to patrol near.
Unless I am mistaken, those area, that do not have a green circle around the area to patrol or what ever, some will require you to stay within (I believe at any rate, propbeanie, s7rikeback or even KaleunMarco can confirm...) holds true... though some other mission objectives with no green circle... will tell you that you have unrestricted control on how far about you roam to complete those objectives.

Quote:
EDIT2: I've noticed that I keep getting messages to use one engine only to conserve fuel. Is this a feature that's been added by the mod, or maybe something that's always been there that I've never known about, or is it really just some flavor text? Thanks again.
This, is a case of colorful chatter for immersion factor. As is, is NO way to run on 1 engine only... much less use engines separate like.. to run 1 ahead & the other to run in reverse mode... sad, but true.... shame on Ubi for NOT including separate engine controls...

Any way, hope this helps...

M. M.

Old 06-22-21, 06:39 PM   #3491
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If that's where think it is... there should be some fairly deep channels running through there... with a lake sized area in the area as well.
I got a patrol in that area, on 1 career I was doing in v1.39, after I finished off patrolling Apari for 10 days... there should be enough area there, to safely patrol, again... iirc the area in question.

Best advice, stay inside the green circle area.. for best results. you can... exit out of there, but, it stops the clock on keeping up with the 10 day count, but as soon as you go back in, it does pick up with continuing to count down the 10 day clock... so no need to worry that exiting out will restart that 10 day clock. (which, it may kick out a completed mission objective before the 10 days is up... not sure if that will do so all the time or I just got lucky to complete after 5-6 days... )

I mean, yeah, there is some deep water in there, but it'd get pretty busy if a convoy with 2-4 DDs showed up in that small area with only a little lake of deep water in the middle and no way to get out without running on the surface. I'd much rather patrol the deep water outside of the bay where there's some wiggle room if things get hectic. That said, it seems like there might be more to it than just being in the circle based on your statements, so I guess we'll see if one of the devs weighs in.
Old 06-22-21, 06:51 PM   #3492
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:

Thanks

yes, typically your patrol time is counted when your boat is within the circle.

without a mission number or title, it cannot be determined if the patrol circle is correct or not. i looked at all of the Patrol Philippines objectives and i could not find this one but that does not mean anything.

if you can, open the CareerTrack.upc (use Notepad) and reply with the line that contains this:
PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDnnn

...and do not change anything and do not save the file under any circumstance.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 08:18 PM   #3493
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yes, typically your patrol time is counted when your boat is within the circle.

without a mission number or title, it cannot be determined if the patrol circle is correct or not. i looked at all of the Patrol Philippines objectives and i could not find this one but that does not mean anything.

if you can, open the CareerTrack.upc (use Notepad) and reply with the line that contains this:
PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDnnn

...and do not change anything and do not save the file under any circumstance.

PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID354

Here's the patrol area:

As you can see, that's a pretty tight area to be patrolling with a sub and its got no access that wouldn't require surfacing. I'd much rather patrol the deep water just outside the bay rather than potentially getting trapped in there with DDs hounding me. Whatever the case, if I need to be in there for 10 days to fulfill my objective, I guess that's where I need to be.
Old 06-22-21, 09:04 PM   #3494
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID354

Here's the patrol area:

As you can see, that's a pretty tight area to be patrolling with a sub and its got no access that wouldn't require surfacing. I'd much rather patrol the deep water just outside the bay rather than potentially getting trapped in there with DDs hounding me. Whatever the case, if I need to be in there for 10 days to fulfill my objective, I guess that's where I need to be.
Yeah, that'd be the area I got after patrolling Apari... also for 10 days... & I think with both areas the objective completed in less than 10 days, as I recall... unless the team changed that aspect up to where it has to be patrolled for all 10 days. When I did that mission chain, it was not as bad as you think with that area, AviatorMan... just stay in the deeper channel areas there.. & you'll be fine.

M. M.

post edit :

To gain entrance to the deeper channel area... time the entrance to just before dawn or right after sunset... & just leisurely run @ 1/3 speed... submerge during the day for immersion factor... or just as needed in the event a plane makes a patrol pass through the area... Hope this info helps..
Old 06-22-21, 10:47 PM   #3495
propbeanie

That is the Patrol Sargo East 02 mission. Most of the early missions, other than Tablas Strait and a couple others on the western side of the Philippines do not last as long as they are assigned. The early US submarine "tactics" were quite a bit like the Japanese's, in spite of a "wage unrestricted..." order, and the subs were put in potentially restricted, busy areas in harm's way near harbors, instead of astride a traffic lane in the deep. That is the area assigned to a boat, but then they were called to cancel and move north to patrol around Aparri when the boat up there was recalled to Marivelles. Of course, when the Lamon Bay boat was moved, they missed the landing forces, which came down between Luzon and the island toward the north in your picture, and then they conducted the landing between Luzon and the island to the south of your picture. Remember, 25 nm is the radius, so you have a 50nm diameter, which would be 1963+ square nautical miles of area to "hide" in. Not only that, but the time there is set up to not be continuous. In other words, like KM suggests, you can leave the area if need be, and the time spent holds until you return, when it will again accrue. Wait until you get ordered into Lingayen Gulf... - actually, your assignment won't be to Lingayen. But your current patrol time actually runs out in 6 days and you are then moved to Aparri and told to patrol for 10 days, which ends up being 6 days again, because Manila then finds out about the landings in Lamon Bay, and sends your boat back to Lamon, but by then it is too late... Now that I've given all of that away, the real boat patrols Lamon for a while, then calls in and is told to head for Davao Gulf... which they miss the Japanese there also. A bunch of moving the boats around for nothing, basically...

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-22-21 at 10:57 PM.