SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-21, 10:21 AM   #3601
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Ok,

I made a copy using Ctl-C and Ctl-V, then opened the "original" version, did a search for "AdditionalRepository" and found 2 of them. Not knowing which was which, I deleted BOTH of the phrases. Each was in a flak gun section.

I suppose I should not have deleted one of the two "AdditionalRepository" entries, but which one? I'll go back to the Saved Copy, reset it to be the original, and try deleting just one of them, starting with the 2nd one. I'll let you know. Thanks for your suggestions!

EDIT: i WENT BACK TO MAKE THE CHANGES AGAIN, AND THIS TIME I FOUND FOUR ENTRIES WITH THE "AdditionalRepository" PHRASE. ANY IDEA WHICH ONE(S) SHOULD BE DELETED?
ok, class is in session.....

when trying to remedy the no-crew situation, keep in mind that you may have both forward and aft (bow and stern) flak guns.
this means that you will see two separate weapons requiring two different sets of crew. in some instances, your boat may have only one of those weapons. if that is the case, you should change only change the crew setting for the weapon you have, either fore or aft.

here is an example from a current mission of mine. i've dropped some unnecessary lines and substituted the dots.

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot 1]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakL1
NameDisplayable=Flak Guns Crew
Type=Leader

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot 2]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakC1
Type=Crewman

more than likely, you saw two (or maybe three or four) entries with CrewMemberSlot #AdditionalRepository. that means that the modder planned to have a specific number of crew to man the weapon. by removing the additionalrepository text you make one or more slots available for crew. it is up to you how many crew you want. there is no right-or-wrong answer.
the Leader designation means that the weapon will be guided by the leadership of a crewman. that man's leadership skill will add (or detract) from the performance of the crew for that weapon. you do not need a Leader for any weapon. it is just an additional factor.

let me repeat my advice from the previous post: do not make config changes during a mission. either back-up in time to your last in-port savegame to make changes or wait until you return to port. can't stress this enough.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 10:34 AM   #3602
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
1. No, did not purchase early for renown. It was offered at no cost on arrival to new Forward Base at Manus Island - Arrival date there was MAY 24, 1944.
2. I did not change the deck gun position this time or since encountering the crew missing problem back several versions ago. It wasn't worth the work, so I take it where the game places it.
3. Will the file changes to incorporate the additional gunners be added to a future version? If I have to go through the somewhat complex process to do it myself I'd rather wait for it to appear in a mod (bless you modders!) or just do without as I have so far.
4. Thanks for all you do for us!
Nutz... I highlighted the text in orange, which targets the problem. You should not have that 40mm gun on the boat yet. Let me dig into the files and see if I can figure the route it is taking to sneak in there. The location where you are will not matter, other than the game does "favor" Pearl first, and Fremantle "last" as for equipment assignments and dates. The positions are assigned by date, and are supposed to coordinate with the gun dates. As KM says, only do edits to the Save file while in port, and then only on a copy, and keep the original copy in a safe location for potential replacement of the edited version - I have trashed probably as many Saves as I have "fixed"...

Oh! - forgot to ask! Where and when did you get the Balao originally?

btw - the "AdditionalRepository" text is from the game itself when it creates the Save files. We have no control over that aspect of the "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" file. Also, there is a byte counter for the Save system, so one does have to be careful which files they edit, and how extensively they are edited.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-03-21 at 10:43 AM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 10:36 AM   #3603
stenmars
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

I´ve just started with this mod and after surfacing the boat, no one is in the tower and I run out of oxigen and die. is this a bug?
stenmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 10:44 AM   #3604
propbeanie

No.

One question, one answer... no details on your install. So now for the twenty questions:

1. Where do you have the game installed?
2. Which version do you have of SH4 - it should be v1.5 with the U-Boat Mission, which you probably do
3. Did you empty the Save folder after activating the mod?
4. Do you have LAA or similar activated properly on the SH4.exe?
5. Are you shelling-out to Windows to do other tasks while running the game?

That's enough for now, so only one fourth of the twenty questions...

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-03-21 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-03-21, 11:15 AM   #3605
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenmars View Post
I´ve just started with this mod and after surfacing the boat, no one is in the tower and I run out of oxigen and die. is this a bug?
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
No.

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Propbeanie, Stenmars, I have run across this once before in the Titan. No matter what I did, the game thought I was under water. I believe it has to do with the base game. I broke protocol, drop out to desktop to Skype, instead of saving and exiting. Thus I believed I "hiccuped" the game. I have never repeated the problem, but I learned not to drop to the desktop during the game. I am just relaying my experience with running out of O2.

as always, Thanks to all the modders for FOTRSU.

Propbeanie, as I am thinking about it. I am reporting on the planes. I am using FOTRSU Preview 16 . The planes are not attacking me at night so far. I am only up to March of 1942. This is different than FOTRSU 1.46 when they would not leave me alone. This is just info for you.

Thanks

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 11:35 AM   #3606
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
Good Morning Gentlemen,

Propbeanie, Stenmars, I have run across this once before in the Titan. No matter what I did, the game thought I was under water. I believe it has to do with the base game. I broke protocol, drop out to desktop to Skype, instead of saving and exiting. Thus I believed I "hiccuped" the game. I have never repeated the problem, but I learned not to drop to the desktop during the game. I am just relaying my experience with running out of O2.

as always, Thanks to all the modders for FOTRSU.

Propbeanie, as I am thinking about it. I am reporting on the planes. I am using FOTRSU Preview 16 . The planes are not attacking me at night so far. I am only up to March of 1942. This is different than FOTRSU 1.46 when they would not leave me alone. This is just info for you.

Thanks

Comder
Yes, the active date for Japanese radar is different, and it is not as strong when it is active. Previously, when you encountered a plane with radar (Betty active after Mar 1944 - but others are sooner), they were already making a bee line for your location. Now, when your radar picks them up, they might be approaching, but not always bee lining, but you might now see them turn toward you, indicating they have a fix on you. When you crash dive and then watch for the planes, they will now "attack" the location you dived and drop bombs or depth charges, depending upon what they are armed with, in the area where they "lost contact" from your diving, even though they never "saw" you. This will necessitate the use of "Crash Dive!!!", and a turn, but NOT toward or away directly, because they do still "miss" on their drops, and you wouldn't want to accidentally drive into their errant drop, such as what I have done a couple of times while testing... a torpedo plane, you turn into or away from so that you might "comb" the torpedo wake, but the bombs require getting away from your last-known location ASAP, and from what I have experienced, a roughly 45 degree turn works best for that, but you do have to crash dive when the plane gets within say 7-8 nm, else you won't have enough time... Visual range, and you are too late.

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-03-21 at 11:44 AM. Reason: radar activity
Old 07-04-21, 10:06 AM   #3607
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Oh! - forgot to ask! Where and when did you get the Balao originally?
Milne Bay, 44-02-29 after turning down new boats twice while in Brisbane.

And I am still confused as to which "AdditionalRepository" entries to delete. I can't tell which flak gun is which in the files. Is there any harm in deleting all those "AdditionalRepository" entries while in port? Right now I see 5 of them!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 11:35 AM   #3608
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

And I am still confused as to which "AdditionalRepository" entries to delete. I can't tell which flak gun is which in the files. Is there any harm in deleting all those "AdditionalRepository" entries while in port? Right now I see 5 of them!

probably not.

what weapons are they following?
Crew slots typically follow the weapons entries.

LAA enabled
Old 07-04-21, 08:55 PM   #3609
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
probably not.

what weapons are they following?
Crew slots typically follow the weapons entries.
While I appreciate all the help and suggestions, in the end nothing I did made any difference. So I just said "screw it" and will live with only one gunner per 40mm. Life is too short to get worked up over it.

Thanks again!

Old 07-04-21, 09:10 PM   #3610
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
While I appreciate all the help and suggestions, in the end nothing I did made any difference. So I just said "screw it" and will live with only one gunner per 40mm. Life is too short to get worked up over it.

Thanks again!

do you have cloud-base storage into which you can drop your Activeuser file? i can take a look at it and give you a more definitive answer.
if yes, send me the link in a PM.

LAA enabled
Old 07-04-21, 09:52 PM   #3611
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:

Thanks again!

Not sure if you saw it, but I had this issue a few pages back. In addition to the Additional Repository edit, there's also a problem with the position numbering.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 11:03 PM   #3612
propbeanie

Whoops! Thanks for the reminder!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Not sure if you saw it, but I had this issue a few pages back. In addition to the Additional Repository edit, there's also a problem with the position numbering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Yes, this went unresolved in previous versions, although I seem to recall it going to 2 positions/installation when upgrading to twin 40 mm units.

Nothing really stands out when reviewing the weapons and crew code, other than one section of [UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2] differentiates between 1 leader and 1 crew, while later sections such as [UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.WeaponSlot 1.Weapon] refer only to two crew slots.

Below is a comparison:

<note: aft AA section>

ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakL1
Type=Leader
IDLinkCrewMemberLoaded=OFFGun
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM1@slot_A01
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D=WM1@slot_A01
WatchAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
WatchAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL

<note: position above is occupied and crewman is described>

ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakC1
Type=Crewman
IDLinkCrewMemberLoaded=NULL
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_A01
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_A01
WatchAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
WatchAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL

<note: position does not display>
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakL1
NameDisplayable=AA Guns Crew
Type=Leader

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakC1
NameDisplayable=AA Gun Crew
Type=Crewman

change the orange code as "CrewMemberSlot 2". it works.
My golly, time flies! More than just a "few" pages... lol - I finally gave up and went into your profile Mios4Me to find the post! Anyway, that is correct and probably is the issue for torpedobait. When I looked at my install, I forgot that I have the "fix" applied...

If you follow Mios4Me's post link back in the quote above, you will find flaminus's post above with the color graphics about changing the "CrewMemberSlot 1" to 2 for the 2nd position... but make certain you have the correct section for the AA guns, and NOT the deck gun...

Old 07-05-21, 09:50 AM   #3613
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default 1944 Iwo air base

PB/S7rikeback

on the way back from patrol in December 1944, i noticed an air base at Iwo Jima. when we got back to base, i checked the configs and, yes, Virginia, there is an air base on Iwo December 1944. is this purposeful or a typo?

[MapLocation 20]
Type=1
Priority=2
Title=Iwo-Jima_Airbase
GameEntryDate=19441201
GameEntryTime=0
GameExitDate=19451231

LAA enabled
Old 07-05-21, 10:46 AM   #3614
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
do you have cloud-base storage into which you can drop your Activeuser file? i can take a look at it and give you a more definitive answer.
if yes, send me the link in a PM.

I don't have a cloud-based storage site, but I could email as an attachment if you PM your email address to me.

Old 07-05-21, 10:51 AM   #3615
propbeanie

What you have there KM is the MapLocation, not the airbase itself. Apparently, the planners on the Joint Chiefs of Staff have let you in on their top-secret plans... you must go down with the ship and prevent capture... The actual airbase is
[Unit 26]
Name= IwoJima_SmallAirBaseUS#4
Class=SmallAirBaseUS
Type=406
Origin=American
Side=1
Commander=0
CargoExt=-1
CargoInt=-1
CfgDate=19430101
DeleteOnLastWaypoint=false
DockedShip=false
GameEntryDate=19450316
GameEntryTime=0
GameExitDate=19451231
GameExitTime=0
EvolveFromEntryDate=true
Long=16956582.000000
Lat=2972455.000000
Height=85.000999
Heading=0.000000
Speed=0.000000
CrewRating=4
DelayMin=0
ReportPosMin=-1
ReportPosProbability=100
SecondsUntilReport=-22.942942
RandStartRadius=0.000000
NextWP=0
I don't know if that date for the MapLocation is from Fred's map add-on, or if it is something that is in fact a typo from a certain modder falling asleep at the keyboad and doing a face-plant on the numpad...

Corrections have been made though, to prevent that MapLocation icon from showing until the effective date of 19450316. Thanks