SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-21, 12:45 AM   #3496
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That is the Patrol Sargo East 02 mission. Most of the early missions, other than Tablas Strait and a couple others on the western side of the Philippines do not last as long as they are assigned. The early US submarine "tactics" were quite a bit like the Japanese's, in spite of a "wage unrestricted..." order, and the subs were put in potentially restricted, busy areas in harm's way near harbors, instead of astride a traffic lane in the deep. That is the area assigned to a boat, but then they were called to cancel and move north to patrol around Aparri when the boat up there was recalled to Marivelles. Of course, when the Lamon Bay boat was moved, they missed the landing forces, which came down between Luzon and the island toward the north in your picture, and then they conducted the landing between Luzon and the island to the south of your picture. Remember, 25 nm is the radius, so you have a 50nm diameter, which would be 1963+ square nautical miles of area to "hide" in. Not only that, but the time there is set up to not be continuous. In other words, like KM suggests, you can leave the area if need be, and the time spent holds until you return, when it will again accrue. Wait until you get ordered into Lingayen Gulf... - actually, your assignment won't be to Lingayen. But your current patrol time actually runs out in 6 days and you are then moved to Aparri and told to patrol for 10 days, which ends up being 6 days again, because Manila then finds out about the landings in Lamon Bay, and sends your boat back to Lamon, but by then it is too late... Now that I've given all of that away, the real boat patrols Lamon for a while, then calls in and is told to head for Davao Gulf... which they miss the Japanese there also. A bunch of moving the boats around for nothing, basically...
In other words, like KM suggests... Like, who suggests... propbeanie

I'll... i'll... a thousand lashes propbeanie... with a wet sketti noodle...

M. M.

Old 06-23-21, 12:58 AM   #3497
AviatorMan
Watch

Downloads: 41

Quote:
That is the Patrol Sargo East 02 mission. Most of the early missions, other than Tablas Strait and a couple others on the western side of the Philippines do not last as long as they are assigned. The early US submarine "tactics" were quite a bit like the Japanese's, in spite of a "wage unrestricted..." order, and the subs were put in potentially restricted, busy areas in harm's way near harbors, instead of astride a traffic lane in the deep. That is the area assigned to a boat, but then they were called to cancel and move north to patrol around Aparri when the boat up there was recalled to Marivelles. Of course, when the Lamon Bay boat was moved, they missed the landing forces, which came down between Luzon and the island toward the north in your picture, and then they conducted the landing between Luzon and the island to the south of your picture. Remember, 25 nm is the radius, so you have a 50nm diameter, which would be 1963+ square nautical miles of area to "hide" in. Not only that, but the time there is set up to not be continuous. In other words, like KM suggests, you can leave the area if need be, and the time spent holds until you return, when it will again accrue. Wait until you get ordered into Lingayen Gulf... - actually, your assignment won't be to Lingayen. But your current patrol time actually runs out in 6 days and you are then moved to Aparri and told to patrol for 10 days, which ends up being 6 days again, because Manila then finds out about the landings in Lamon Bay, and sends your boat back to Lamon, but by then it is too late... Now that I've given all of that away, the real boat patrols Lamon for a while, then calls in and is told to head for Davao Gulf... which they miss the Japanese there also. A bunch of moving the boats around for nothing, basically...

Sounds like musical chairs, but with boats and the loser was the Philippines...
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 09:34 AM   #3498
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
Sounds like musical chairs, but with boats and the loser was the Philippines...
Very much so. They had them running ragged, and with a defective weapon to boot! Imagine driving all that distance, infiltrating a Task Force, only to have over 3/4 of your torpedoes fail for one reason, or a dozen...

@ MM: I was just in a hurry, and KM had the file name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
PB & S7rikeback,

there is a Philippines mission, Insertion Spy Philippines 06, which fails when you click on the orders-map.

it is failing because there are too many words/characters in the Mission Briefing. i could swear that i posted about the CTD previously but i cannot find the post(s). Grrr.

anyway, if this mission in not on your change list then please add it to the list.

i edited the verbiage down to 117 words and 503 chars and it seems to work.
well, i got to the orders-map, which is a step in the right direction.
Back to this... I have done untold tests, crashing the game more than not, while trying to find a definitive answer. The result? I still don't know anything definitive, but I am a bit closer.

Initially, I had 36 lines in a text file, but I had little typed text and more numbers on lines with carraige returns to show the lines. The orders page scrolled fine, and had a "gutter" to scroll the page back and forth. As I added text to the file though, I had to keep cutting down on the number of lines. Notice that the first line starts with a <Tab> character, and has 55 other characters on the line. A "normal" line of text is 60 characters. However, you cannot always fill a line, since it is most likely a "total character" count that determines the limit. I still can't decide whether a new line is worth 2 characters (the two pipe characters), or four characters (carraige return and new line character). I am almost certain though that CR/NL is a Windows type of character, whereas the game just uses CR only... maybe... ??

It seems that the "character" limit is actually about 954, but I am not 100% certain of that. In the image below, I have 951 characters, but that includes 2 "pipe" characters to start each paragraph. Notice also that the last sentence is not complete. Each of the double pipes I added for the paragraphs required that I delete other characters.

Orders test file image

The text of course, is non-sensical, and I never did get close to the intended 1024 stated in that text, or even 1000... I arrived at 952 as the number, since it is divisible by 8, of which 8 bytes is the "standard" character size, and I crashed the game at 960. I am certain that EOF and carraige returns influence the character count, but notice that even with removing the double pipes for the carraige returns to start a new paragraph does NOT allow for very many more typed characters...

As of this time then, I would say that anything over 950 characters is suspect, depending upon how many CR there are in the file... sigh.

Edit: btw, I will do more testing, with more Objectives, which would add more lines to the bottom of the file. The question of course being "will that influence the total character count of the orders themselves?"... more late.

New List:

DavaoGulfEarly04
Extract Philippines 01
Extract Philippines 02
Extract Philippines 05
Gar2Mariannas
Insert Palau Island 02
Insert Palau Island 04
Insertion Commando Philippines 04
Insertion Corregidor Supplies
Insertion Spy BismarckSea 03
Insertion Spy Philippines 03
Insertion Spy Philippines 04
Insertion Spy Philippines 05
Insertion Spy Philippines 06
Lifeguard Corregidor VIP
Patrol Marshalls Early 02
Photo Leyte Invasion 01
SeaTrialHP_04
These are the files with greater than 950 characters after "MissionBriefing=" in the tsr file. I do know that at least half of these do indeed work properly from testing. However, they will still be edited for that just-in-case scenario. Also, four other files had already been edited today, as well as others over the last few weeks. Those would include SOJ missions in 1943 out of Pearl, which were previously tested and functional, but have been edited to comply with being less than 951 characters.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-23-21 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Deep Thoughts... lol & New List
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 11:38 AM   #3499
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
@ MM: I was just in a hurry, and KM had the file name...
Ahoy, propbeanie...

I kinda figured you might have rushed it... or else had a momento of ol'manitis struck.

My post, was My quirky sense of humor cropping up... & was just joshin' with ya...

Humor, is 1 of those things that doesn't translate well in text talk... among other things...

As Saavik (kirstie alley) said it in ST II, Humor, it's a difficult concept. It is not logical.

M. M.

Old 06-23-21, 01:11 PM   #3500
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:

These are the files with greater than 950 characters after "MissionBriefing=" in the tsr file. I do know that at least half of these do indeed work properly from testing. However, they will still be edited for that just-in-case scenario. Also, four other files had already been edited today, as well as others over the last few weeks. Those would include SOJ missions in 1943 out of Pearl, which were previously tested and functional, but have been edited to comply with being less than 951 characters.[/spoiler]
yes, i concur.
i was assigned another mission that died at the start and when i checked the mission briefing it was over 1k. so i edited to less than 1024 characters and reloaded the mission and it still bombed. so i edited it down under 900 (IIRC) and only then did the mission start.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 06-23-21 at 03:24 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 03:23 PM   #3501
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID354

As you can see, that's a pretty tight area to be patrolling with a sub and its got no access that wouldn't require surfacing. I'd much rather patrol the deep water just outside the bay rather than potentially getting trapped in there with DDs hounding me. Whatever the case, if I need to be in there for 10 days to fulfill my objective, I guess that's where I need to be.
thanks for the reply.
that mission patrol area is limited to 48 klicks which is 25.9 nm which is the approximate diameter of that graphical circle.

i will not bore you by repeating what has been posted in the interim between this post and your question about the need to patrol inside of the designated area for the designated time period.

some kaleuns have developed pre-mission behaviour whereby they check on their patrol parameters and, from time to time, make adjustments to the conditions of the patrol, when appropriate.
any questions....send me a PM.

LAA enabled
Old 06-23-21, 07:28 PM   #3502
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Question on Pay

what i want to know is do these petty officers get half-pay before their hazard pay is calculated or after?

or do they get half pay only when there is intemperate weather?

LAA enabled
Old 06-23-21, 09:31 PM   #3503
propbeanie

I cannot get my guys to do that... no half-bunking here...

Had you been in a storm just a bit before? What boat? What date? What mods?

For Cybermat47:

Old 06-24-21, 02:42 AM   #3504
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

For Cybermat47:

What is going on here? lol is this a cold weather clothing issue? I was just about to try and make it work for TMO
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 02:59 AM   #3505
orkfighter2000
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default no shipping

somehow i cant find ships in the sh4 fotrsu ultimate version :/ i started as s18 at manila 1941, patroling south chinese sea no ships and around philipines also no ships, can somebody help?
Old 06-24-21, 01:29 PM   #3506
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Hello FOTRSU Team:

Playing with 1.46, I started a new campaign from Mare Island, Gato class, new construction 42'. I did the trials and received a message "Go to base or continue patrol". I returned to Mare Island. Waiting orders, ever I received the same message: patrol at your taste...Well. I decided to go to Pearl Harbor. Arrived to PH...the same message. I have no message with objetives or zones. Now I'm moored in Pearl, waiting. Will I receive some orders or can I depart for any zone?

Damage in trials: I tested the Gato to 500 fts. depth. 10% hull damage. This damage remains in the hull though I moored in Mare Island and Pearl Harbor. The damage team is complete. Is there some way to repair this 10% hull damage?

This is my first new construction campaign with FOTRSU, so I don't know how to proceed after the trials.. After them, as I told, I'm free to go anywhere with my 10% hull damage. Is this the way FOTRSU is supposed to work with New Construction start?

Many thanks for the great job. I'm installing the preview 1.6 in another SH4 with MultiSH4.

Best regards

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 01:46 PM   #3507
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Sargo. February 1944. Based out of Milne Bay.
Well, clearly, one can see the inclement weather, so i must conclude that we were sailing through a storm at the time i took the screen shots.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU 1.46\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
200 Nippon_Maru_v1.2
300_DarkerNightsEnv_V2

LAA enabled
Old 06-24-21, 03:03 PM   #3508
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar Re: Testing FotRS preview...

Ahoy, team...

just wanted to throw My hat in the ring, as it were... & have the preview set up, and am testing it out.

Just shoved off in career, on My 1st patrol.

Sargo class, (USS Sargo) out of manila. Orders given, patrol Cahm Rahn bay for 10 days.

Recall, this was a patrol area I got a bit back, in v1.39 or was that 1.46, hmm...

Ah, yes... v1.46, with getting slammed with 'High Noon' gauges.. which corrected after docking back at base... thankfully in that one.

Any way, just wanted to say, that I am testing the preview out. Will report back, if I hit any.. snags or snafu's.

End report.

M. M.

Old 06-24-21, 05:05 PM   #3509
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkfighter2000 View Post
somehow i cant find ships in the sh4 fotrsu ultimate version :/ i started as s18 at manila 1941, patroling south chinese sea no ships and around philipines also no ships, can somebody help?
Had you emptied the Save folder prior to starting the FotRSU modded game? If you didn't, you would have a contaminated set of Save folder files. Try deleting that and start a new career again. Also, are you certain that you have LAA or some other similar RAM memory app properly enabled? Big thing: The S-Boats, for the most part, were sent south of Luzon into very quiet areas to keep them (initially) out of harm's way, where most of them only saw local boats and maybe a Japanese airplane. You won't see much IJN traffic in the Manila area until after the Lingayen Gulf landings, unless you go to Formosa, Hainan or Indo-China, or maybe towards Palau...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Hello FOTRSU Team:

Playing with 1.46, I started a new campaign from Mare Island, Gato class, new construction 42'. I did the trials and received a message "Go to base or continue patrol". I returned to Mare Island. Waiting orders, ever I received the same message: patrol at your taste...Well. I decided to go to Pearl Harbor. Arrived to PH...the same message. I have no message with objetives or zones. Now I'm moored in Pearl, waiting. Will I receive some orders or can I depart for any zone?

Damage in trials: I tested the Gato to 500 fts. depth. 10% hull damage. This damage remains in the hull though I moored in Mare Island and Pearl Harbor. The damage team is complete. Is there some way to repair this 10% hull damage?

This is my first new construction campaign with FOTRSU, so I don't know how to proceed after the trials.. After them, as I told, I'm free to go anywhere with my 10% hull damage. Is this the way FOTRSU is supposed to work with New Construction start?

Many thanks for the great job. I'm installing the preview 1.6 in another SH4 with MultiSH4...
That is not the design of the mod, no. However, the dates for the New Construction do get out of whack entirely too easily, defeating the purpose of having the SeaTrials. It sounds like maybe you got stuck in no man's land. You have to go all of the way into the actual Mare Island Naval Yard area, if that is where you started from, and End Patrol there. Treasure Island sits astride San Francisco Bay, and it will ask you if you want to Dock, but only for re-supply. You have to End Patrol to be able to repair the damaged bulkhead. However, look for where the fouled, tilted anchor is, which of course signifies your home port, as you know. If you have now done four trial missions, and you are stuck at Mare Island Naval Yard, not being forwarded to Pearl Harbor, then you will have to use the phone in the Captain's Office and request the transfer yourself. If only there was some way to have a definite number of days in-port between "patrols" for the SeaTrials, things would be much easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Sargo. February 1944. Based out of Milne Bay.
Well, clearly, one can see the inclement weather, so i must conclude that we were sailing through a storm at the time i took the screen shots.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU 1.46\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
200 Nippon_Maru_v1.2
300_DarkerNightsEnv_V2
First of all, I cannot see rainy weather, only overcast and waves. A crew does not don wet weather clothing unless it is actually raining heavily, hence the question. It is not so obvious. Second of all, we do not have a "300_DarkerNightsEnv_V2" mod tested with the FotRSU mod. Other than that, I have never seen fellers on the bridge without at least their skivvies on, and bony knees showing... I have made a test mission with a Sargo that starts with really bad weather, and the crew is on deck, fully clothed and in their right minds... well, except they ~are~ submariners...

Old 06-24-21, 05:13 PM   #3510
propbeanie

I have a question for anyone attempting to use v1.46 or the Preview: Have any of you attempted to purchase an early radar? Did it function correctly? We already know that the ST radar needs not just the mount for the radar, but also a new periscope and periscope mount in the conning tower, which is why a person cannot purchase it early, because it is a two-part "upgrade", and the game only allows purchasing one part at a time. I am curious though about an SJ or SD radar purchases, if they function correctly? Thanks