SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-23, 05:58 AM   #916
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I hope they put a mannequin in the driver's seat at least!
Old 05-09-23, 12:10 PM   #917
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 Trucking is just the beginning....of the end!!??

YIPES! https://newatlas.com/technology/ai-d...kill-everyone/
Quote:
First off, it's an arms race; if America doesn't build it, China will, and whoever gets there first might rule the world. But there's also economics; the smarter and more capable an AI you develop, the bigger a money printing machine you've got. "They spit out gold, until they get large enough and ignite the atmosphere and kill everybody," said AI researcher and philosopher Eliezer Yudkowsky earlier today to Lex Fridman.

Yudkowsky has long been one of the leading voices in the "AI will kill us all" camp. And the people leading the race to superintelligence no longer think he's a crank. "I think that there's some chance of that," said OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, again to Fridman. "And it's really important to acknowledge it. Because if we don't talk about it, if we don't treat it as potentially real, we won't put enough effort into solving it."

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 12:30 PM   #918
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

So far Truck drivers are still needed even in the near future.

These self driving vehicle isn't perfect yet and there has to someone behind the steering if something should happen.

I guess 50 years from now-Truck drivers will be obsolete

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 03:39 PM   #919
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
I guess 50 years from now-Truck drivers will be obsolete
Not to worry: https://thehill.com/changing-america...lapse-by-2040/
Quote:
That method indicated the fall will be some point near the middle in the 21st century around 2040, and so far, their projections have been on track, new analysis suggests. Using a system dynamics model that was published by the Club of Rome — a Swiss-based global think tank that includes current and former heads of state, United Nations bureaucrats, government officials, diplomats, scientists, economists and business leaders — the scientists were able to identify the upcoming limits to growth (LtG) to forecast of potential “global ecological and economic collapse coming up in the middle of the 21st Century,” The Guardian reported.

The Earth, according to LtG, has been terraformed beyond repair by greenhouse gases from fossil fuels, making the next generation to endure the “heavy legacy,” a scarcity of mineral resources and a planet characterized by radioactive and heavy metal pollution.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 12-23-23, 08:45 PM   #920
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Definitely a headache. I used to get started every day at 3:30 am so I could be sure of a parking spot at 2pm.

https://archive.ph/Kun6F link edited

Quote:
In the wee hours one night in July, a Greyhound bus heading to St. Louis turned onto an exit ramp leading to a rest area in Southern Illinois and hit three parked tractor-trailers, smashing its front, crumpling its roof and ripping off part of its side.

Three passengers were killed. The tractor-trailers were parked along the ramp’s shoulder, a common sight on the nation’s highways.

“It’s scary because it can happen in the blink of an eye,” said Carmen Anderson, 64, a South Dakota-based truck driver for America’s Service Line, who recently had to park on an off-ramp in North Carolina after not being able to find parking at rest areas or truck stops.

The accident in Illinois highlighted a widespread complaint among the nation’s truckers: Parking spots for commercial trucks are hard to come by.

As a result, truckers often take refuge in store parking lots, along the shoulder of highways and on ramps, though the legality of doing so varies by location. The shortage of parking is both inconvenient and financially costly for truck drivers, and it can lead to dangerous situations when truckers are forced to improvise.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 12-24-23 at 08:21 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-23, 10:43 PM   #921
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

/\...the reuters site you posted is reguarding Ykaterina Duntsovas's not being allowed to run for office against Vladimir Putin in the rigged upcoming election... not where truckers can park big-rigs!?? That Christmas cheer on Saturday night can be overwhelming!

Old 12-24-23, 07:30 AM   #922
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

One more truck payment and my old business partner carries one less loan that I'm the signatory for. "Partner" is the wrong term, I was more like his bank but with no say so whatsoever.
Old 12-24-23, 11:07 AM   #923
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Old 02-11-24, 10:12 PM   #924
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Hurray, one less debt that I'm responsible for! Truck paid off!

Old malls would make great truck stops with lots of parking, but it won't happen. Sebring, FL has a mall sitting practically empty with an empty parking lot. Closest decent truck stop is thirty miles north, and not that big. Restaurants and a Harbor Freight conveniently located adjacent, but it won't happen. Old diminished capacity drivers who populate Florida are anti-truck.

"diminished capacity" people suck! Especially when they're in charge.
Old 02-14-24, 08:30 AM   #925
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Congrats! I know that's a great feeling.

Tags
driver, truck, trucker, truckers, trucks