SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-21, 08:25 AM   #2446
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

The player units start to take their final form. U-51 Class is being worked on to give the hull a more rounded shape, and U-139's nose is not 100% complete but I wanted to show what I've been working on.

The Group Shot is to scale, so you can see how much larger the U-139 was compared to UB-I type boats.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 08:30 AM   #2447
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

5 playable submarines in total?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 08:33 AM   #2448
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Details of U-31...the Conning Tower has high-detail compass base, inclinometer, voice pipes, & wood paneling.

Details of U-9, which sank Aboukir, Cressy, & Hogue.

Old 10-23-21, 08:48 AM   #2449
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

M. M.
Old 10-23-21, 08:52 AM   #2450
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
5 playable submarines in total?
No, there will be more subs. Planned roster:

UB-I Class Coastal Subs
U-9 Class
U-19 Class
U-23 Class
U-27 Class
U-31 Class
U-51 Class
U-63 Class
U-81 Class
U-87 Class
U-139 Class Cruiser Subs

I am working on U-81 and U-63 class. And current plan is for U-31 model to be used with minor changes for U-19, U-23, and U-27 classes because they looked almost exactly alike, except for conning towers and slightly different hull form/smaller size for U-19.

I have a complete model of U-87 (seen below in old screenshots) - it needs to be updated because it is obsolete, I designed it before I learned new things about modeling subs. It needs better texture..plus conning tower is too low detail. Painted rivets need to be replaced with 3d rivets. Vent holes aren't good enough, railings are too thick, and the stern is not modeled correctly.

Oh, and sorry about the conduct of U-87's sailors. My crewmen are usually much better behaved.

U-87 Class:

Old 10-23-21, 08:59 AM   #2451
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

U-51 Class (this hull may be discarded; would like it to have a more rounded shape). And does anyone know what the "Mickey Mouse Ears" on the conning tower were for? It's a complete mystery to me. I've seen them in photos & paintings of U-53 and U-58.

More posts coming up later today!
Old 10-23-21, 09:42 AM   #2452
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Want to say... those "ear" looking contraptions on U-51... almost remind Me, of the radome's off the Bismarck... sorta... but... know they didn't have radar back then, yet. I don't think that I recall of... at any rate.

M. M.
Old 10-23-21, 10:35 AM   #2453
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Beautiful models. by the way how did you make AA guns shoot surface targets?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 12:17 PM   #2454
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Blood spray should follow the trajectory of the rounds.
Also. Once shot with a weapon like that? The body will sink nearly immediately.
Once air is out of the lungs a body sinks until gases from decay raise it.

Kind of morbid maybe. But if your gonna do it? Do it right!
Remember all the fits about survivors a long time ago?
Old 10-23-21, 06:13 PM   #2455
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Blood spray should follow the trajectory of the rounds.
Also. Once shot with a weapon like that? The body will sink nearly immediately.
Once air is out of the lungs a body sinks until gases from decay raise it.

Kind of morbid maybe. But if your gonna do it? Do it right!
Remember all the fits about survivors a long time ago?
I agree, those screenshots are very old, from maybe 2016 - I may not even have that blood spatter effect on my computer anymore. I will go for a more realistic look in future. And probably less gross. No idea how to control blood spray trajectory, though.

And the bodies do sink extremely fast - the screens were probably taken with game paused. I created a new "body" zone in zones.cfg and gave it an extremely high flotability value, causing it to sink immediately from 1-2 machine gun rounds. Fun stuff, but gruesome.

For now, work on injuries/blood fx is held up because the U-Boat models are obviously much more important. And I am still not 100% sure which figure models I will use for certain characters.

@Niume - the sailor shooting the survivor is controlled by me. I have not figured out how to get AA guns to attack surface targets automatically.
Old 10-23-21, 06:24 PM   #2456
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Various images of the U-139 Cruiser Submarine. I decided to give it detailed decking, instead of "painted on" details in the DDS/image file ... I included the interesting mechanism with chain and perforated wheels for raising & lowering the masts.

The big cruiser subs could (and did) sail all the way to the United States. several of them sank ships along the Eastern Seaboard right before the war ended. It's incredible to think of what they may have achieved if they hadn't come too late.

Old 10-23-21, 08:47 PM   #2457
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I agree, those screenshots are very old, from maybe 2016 - I may not even have that blood spatter effect on my computer anymore. I will go for a more realistic look in future. And probably less gross. No idea how to control blood spray trajectory, though.

And the bodies do sink extremely fast - the screens were probably taken with game paused. I created a new "body" zone in zones.cfg and gave it an extremely high flotability value, causing it to sink immediately from 1-2 machine gun rounds. Fun stuff, but gruesome.

For now, work on injuries/blood fx is held up because the U-Boat models are obviously much more important. And I am still not 100% sure which figure models I will use for certain characters.

@Niume - the sailor shooting the survivor is controlled by me. I have not figured out how to get AA guns to attack surface targets automatically.

I appreciate you have included the blood spatter in the sim. Far too often things like that are left out. Would like to find a way to include that in my future versions of TMO, if you're willing to fill me in. Adds a sense of realism and reminds people while this is a pc simulation, these things really happened.

AA guns can be converted to function as deck guns to target surface vessels etc . Not at home currently but when am will send you a link with the mod I created converting AA guns to deck guns.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-21, 11:16 PM   #2458
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I appreciate you have included the blood spatter in the sim. Far too often things like that are left out. Would like to find a way to include that in my future versions of TMO, if you're willing to fill me in. Adds a sense of realism and reminds people while this is a pc simulation, these things really happened.

AA guns can be converted to function as deck guns to target surface vessels etc . Not at home currently but when am will send you a link with the mod I created converting AA guns to deck guns.
That is very kind of you! The blood spatter is modeled the same way things like bullet impact sparks are done - using particles.dat/materials.dat.

I have good news, I have started the process of amending the entire game's entries to convert it from WWII era to WWI era. This includes campaign dates, ranks, radio messages, weapon names, and so on. I am also altering the submarines so that each has the correct # of torpedo tubes, correct speed, etc. I did a brief experiment and was favorably impressed with how quickly it went - I was able to convert the standard "Porpoise" class, with 6 tubes and sixteen torpedoes, to the equivalent of the famous U-31 class....4 tubes (2 bow, 2 stern) and only 6 torpedoes. I also successfully stripped the boat of radar - no modern conveniences to spoil you young 'uns!

I also started skinning the U-9 class and adding finishing touches; she is about 90% skinned. The nice thing is that certain parts can be reused on other boats and will not need to be skinned again.

Lastly I have relented and will probably model a few more famous liners...I am thinking of "Mauretania", "Britannic", "Arabic", and maybe "Laurentic" &c. The idea is special souvenirs will be awarded for sinking certain legendary ships (as long as they are not serving as hospital ships or diplomat ships).

More images later.
Old 11-01-21, 11:05 PM   #2459
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
That is very kind of you! The blood spatter is modeled the same way things like bullet impact sparks are done - using particles.dat/materials.dat.

I have good news, I have started the process of amending the entire game's entries to convert it from WWII era to WWI era. This includes campaign dates, ranks, radio messages, weapon names, and so on. I am also altering the submarines so that each has the correct # of torpedo tubes, correct speed, etc. I did a brief experiment and was favorably impressed with how quickly it went - I was able to convert the standard "Porpoise" class, with 6 tubes and sixteen torpedoes, to the equivalent of the famous U-31 class....4 tubes (2 bow, 2 stern) and only 6 torpedoes. I also successfully stripped the boat of radar - no modern conveniences to spoil you young 'uns!

I also started skinning the U-9 class and adding finishing touches; she is about 90% skinned. The nice thing is that certain parts can be reused on other boats and will not need to be skinned again.

Lastly I have relented and will probably model a few more famous liners...I am thinking of "Mauretania", "Britannic", "Arabic", and maybe "Laurentic" &c. The idea is special souvenirs will be awarded for sinking certain legendary ships (as long as they are not serving as hospital ships or diplomat ships).

More images later.

Haha I look forward to it (running without the modern things). The limited number of torpedoes, I take it means a lot of deck gun actions. I take it in most cases one torpedo will be enough to sink most ships?

That is great, I would love to incorporate the blood spatter into my TMO Update at some point, if able.

Below is a link for the AA guns converted to deck guns. Really is great to have, Battle Surface is a lot of fun and a lot more realistic now that all guns fire at once. Esp once have 40 MM and multiple 20 MM. I am sure you are familiar enough with workings of SH 4 to see what I did in .sim file to the AA guns, but if not, will explain. I hope at some point to make them separate deck guns from the main deck gun because right now, they are linked when AA guns are set as deck guns. So when order open fire, if they are manned, they will fire. Would like to have them act independently of another another, so could engage two targets at once.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qz0lc...Radio.zip/file
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 07:50 AM   #2460
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338