SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-16, 06:30 PM   #1741
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I have the instructions from the Devs on how to do AO mapping.

It takes practice to get it right but it's near perfect.
The program I have is a free version but produces the same results.

Not sure if it will work with your 3 program but I'm willing to see what I can do to assist you.

The Animations in true SH4 format are also open now.
I can adjust or change as I please.
That would be very much appreciated! I can send you the files, and you can send me the program. I already tried AO maps with one program and got an image, but ingame the shading did not "line up" with the ship's shaded areas, and made it look like a big black blob. I was stumped. And the animation info would be a treasure trove for me...

And Sea Demon U-48 thanks for the info. It's too bad that shellfire is modeled so simply - from what I can tell there is no calculation of ricochet effects possible.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-16, 12:38 AM   #1742
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Will you be making some U.S. ships as well? I have particular fondness of the U.S.S. Brooklyn and U.S.S. Olympia.
Old 04-26-16, 02:50 AM   #1743
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
Will you be making some U.S. ships as well? I have particular fondness of the U.S.S. Brooklyn and U.S.S. Olympia.
Yes - want to try making the USS "San Diego" and her sisters, as well as several destroyer classes. All depends on time and source material.
Old 04-26-16, 08:19 AM   #1744
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Note the 3pdr gun platform on the bow...again, launches will be independent units in WOTK. Correct me if I'm wrong but 1 shot from a 3pdr would probably destroy your pressure hull. 'Wolves of the Kaiser" is NOT intended to be a mod where you can duel on the surface with patrol craft. Only the U-Cruisers had any armor, and I assume a WWI submarine's structural steel would only be proof against machine guns and cannon up to about 30mm? Any thoughts?
I think you're right on the money. I was just reading about a u-boat attacking and sinking a naval trawler with the deck gun, but those trawlers were converted for minesweeping duty and I'm not sure they were armed at all. Also, so far in the war - '100 Years Ago' thread - I've only found that one incident, so I'd say yeah, go for it.
Old 04-26-16, 05:08 PM   #1745
W.A.R.D.C_sOnar
Watch

Downloads: 66
Nuke

Iambecomelife. I am ready. Throughout the illness, however, got remained unpleasant souvenir: paralyzed right corner of the mouth and part of the cheek . And for finish bad news now: I had a father in the hospital (nearly critical state) so I dont want to go crazy... wanting to start doing something here
Old 04-26-16, 08:41 PM   #1746
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.R.D.C_sOnar View Post
Iambecomelife. I am ready. Throughout the illness, however, got remained unpleasant souvenir: paralyzed right corner of the mouth and part of the cheek . And for finish bad news now: I had a father in the hospital (nearly critical state) so I dont want to go crazy... wanting to start doing something here
Sorry to hear about your father. I have sent you a link of images via PM.
Old 04-26-16, 08:48 PM   #1747
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I think you're right on the money. I was just reading about a u-boat attacking and sinking a naval trawler with the deck gun, but those trawlers were converted for minesweeping duty and I'm not sure they were armed at all. Also, so far in the war - '100 Years Ago' thread - I've only found that one incident, so I'd say yeah, go for it.
I remember playing a mod for the old Silent Hunter II (maybe Pacific Aces) - I saw a large tanker and decided to make a deck gun attack, even though it was armed..I was too lazy to submerge out of visual range and get a firing solution. I took about two shell hits from its deck gun (probably no larger than about 5") and died after I sank to crush depth with a holed pressure hull. That is exactly the sort of damage I like to see (even though it's frustrating!)
Old 04-27-16, 10:16 AM   #1748
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

Hi again folks.

Good to see a WW1 U-boat mod in the works.

I just wandered by because I'm trying to find some images of WW1 german U-boat torpedoes for a boardgame project I'm working on (I still haven't recovered enough from my wife losing her job in 2008 to get a decent computer, so it's cardboard and dice for me right now).

Anyway, does anyone know what the C35/91, C/06 and G/6 torpedoes looked like? I've been scouring the web and can't find a damned thing. So far, I've taken a stab at creating an image for these three, but it's mostly based on guesswork. I know based on Schwieger's attack on the Lusitania that the older torpedoes (presumably the C35/91s) were referred to as "bronze" torpedoes, so I'm guessing the later ones were steel(?):

Torpedoes 2.jpg

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.

Last edited by Beery; 04-27-16 at 10:31 AM.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-16, 02:27 PM   #1749
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Holy banana, no other than Beery! How do you do mate, so long not seen you!! Welcome back!
Old 04-27-16, 06:06 PM   #1750
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery View Post
Hi again folks.

Good to see a WW1 U-boat mod in the works.

I just wandered by because I'm trying to find some images of WW1 german U-boat torpedoes for a boardgame project I'm working on (I still haven't recovered enough from my wife losing her job in 2008 to get a decent computer, so it's cardboard and dice for me right now).

Anyway, does anyone know what the C35/91, C/06 and G/6 torpedoes looked like? I've been scouring the web and can't find a damned thing. So far, I've taken a stab at creating an image for these three, but it's mostly based on guesswork. I know based on Schwieger's attack on the Lusitania that the older torpedoes (presumably the C35/91s) were referred to as "bronze" torpedoes, so I'm guessing the later ones were steel(?):

Attachment 1939
WOW!!! Great to hear from a simulation legend again - Hi Beery! I was a huge fan of your Red Baron 3d and Silent Hunter work.

I dug through my images and found what I could; not much but I hope it helps. Note my comments:

1) Red-nosed torpedo confirmed to be a World War I G/6. This was the only positive ID I could obtain...sorry about the "dramatic" view.

2) Torpedoes on a U-63 Class submarine. I suspect these blueprints depict the G/6:

-The U-63 Class was modern in 1916, and I assume she and her sisters would have had priority for newer torpedoes like the G/6.

-The U-63 tubes are of the same caliber as the G/6. (50cm); I doubt the blueprint makers would have shown a new submarine carrying older, sub-caliber torpedoes. Unfortunately, because boats with 50cm torpedoes could (and did) use smaller calibres I can't make a positive ID.

3) A submarine loading torpedoes, unknown date. I suspect the torpedo is a G/6. Based on design features this is definitely a U-19, U-23, U-27,
U-31, or U-51 boat. All had 50cm TT armament.

4) A submarine loading torpedoes; date confirmed as 1918. Cannot be a C-35 according to Navweaps.com because all C-35's were expended by 1916. I suspect G/6. Could be a new G/7 but the boat is Flanders Flotilla; I strongly suspect big ocean-going attack boats would have had priority for the G/7 torpedoes...Flanders Flotilla was mostly smaller U-Boats and minelaying boats.

Unfortunately I could find no pictures of the other torpedo types. I regret that the details in the pictures may be unclear.
Old 04-28-16, 12:50 PM   #1751
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info - just what I needed.

One of these days, I hope to be back here on a regular basis. I'll try to stop by more often. I've just started my campaign to get the wife to agree to me getting a decent computer, so with a bit of luck, my time away from Subsim may be coming to an end.

- Missen.

Last edited by Beery; 04-28-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 02:57 PM   #1752
Beery
Admiral

Iambecomelife, do you happen to know more or less exactly when the C35/91s stopped being used?

- Missen.
Old 04-28-16, 03:30 PM   #1753
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery View Post
Iambecomelife, do you happen to know more or less exactly when the C35/91s stopped being used?
Sorry, I know this question is not for me, but I know the C35/91s stopped their activity in middle 1916, when they were replaced by the new G/6 types.
I hope this can be helpful for you and sorry for my terrible english.
an other thing, IABL, when can we se the U-31 class in game?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 05:27 PM   #1754
Beery
Admiral

Thanks for the info, and your English is great!

- Missen.
Old 04-28-16, 05:50 PM   #1755
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Welcome back, Beery.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote