SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-10, 08:17 PM   #1
desertisland
Gunner

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Terrific news about DAS BOOT

Scheduled for October 14. Thankfully in Director's Cut, I never enjoyed the fanboyish excesses of the Uncut version. Contrary to popular opinion, the movie was not adapted from the TV series. The TV series was made after the movie's success by scraping together extra and unwanted footage (hence the poorer AV quality), obviously to squeeze more out of fans.
desertisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 08:22 PM   #2
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Will this have new/extra content not on the DVDs currently available?

In other news, looks like I'll finally be buying one o' them newfangled Blu-ray thingamajigs.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 08:59 PM   #3
desertisland
Gunner

I have no idea, it isn't out yet.

A must buy for me despite my skepticism over quality-improvement. The original footage was kept in a basement and badly soaked. To restore they baked it at low temperature in an oven. The soundtrack melted in the process and the one we have now is completely remastered (Dolby Digital 5.1 was not around in 1981).

With such a poor original I doubt if a Blu-ray could do any good except the lossless audio. DTS Master Audio is already specified.
Old 07-23-10, 03:18 AM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Every time someone mentions that it's going to be on, I always say the same thing: I own a copy, and wouldn't have it any other way. Actually I own three: Theatrical, Director's and Uncut. I disagree about the versions, feeling that though the DC has the best sound and subtitles the Uncut version fleshes out the characters much more. But that's just my opinion, and I wish you fun watching it over again.

Try the book sometime if you haven't already. The movie comes pretty close but still leaves a lot out, including the first-person feel.
Agreed - at least as far as living up to Buchheim's original work, I think the miniseries does a far better job of capturing the overall feel. But perhaps to each his own!

Curious about this indeed. I really am skeptical as far as visual quality; on the other hand I sure wouldn't complain about Das Boot potentially selling some more copies and being seen by new audiences. I doubt I'll be running to get it since I have no BD player, but we'll see what it's got to offer I guess.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 06:08 AM   #5
Destraex
Watch

Downloads: 0

I own a version but did not know about all this editing so it is probably the standard version. Which is the best version to buy? I preferably want the absolute most footage or the best story.
Destraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 08:18 AM   #6
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Wolfgang Petersen has said in the past that Das Boot was intended to be a six-part miniseries right from the start, and the scenes for both the 2 1/2 and 5 hour versions were filmed in the same shoot. He even said that the original script was for a mini-series, but was written so scenes could be cut out for the theatrical version.

Considering how faithful the mini-series was to the novel, and how well most of the "new" scenes blend in, it seems kind of disingenuous to say that it was edited together from "scraps and leftovers." Personally, I view the theatrical version as an action movie, the director's cut as a more atmospheric and "artsier" piece, and the mini-series as a character-based drama.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 08:28 AM   #7
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
I own a version but did not know about all this editing so it is probably the standard version. Which is the best version to buy? I preferably want the absolute most footage or the best story.
For the absolute most footage, you want the Original Uncut version, which is a reprise of the miniseries that was shown on European TV minus the "previously on" bits that preceded each episode when it ran that way. On the DVD it's presented as one long film (runs just under 5 hours) on two discs.

http://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Origi...9890475&sr=1-1

The other version currently available on DVD is the Director's Cut, which runs 3 1/2 hours. This is the version of the film that was released in theaters in 1997, containing about an hour of footage that was left out of the original 1981 theatrical release (which was cut down due to concerns about run-time and also, some feel, to emphasize action at the expense of atmosphere).

http://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Direc...9890475&sr=1-2

The original 2 1/2 hour theatrical version has never been released on DVD AFAIK. Some folks still have it on VHS or maybe laserdisc.

As far as "best" story, that's a tough one because it's so subjective. Opinions vary, as you will see just from reading the responses in this (and other) threads on the subject. The only way to know which one you'll like the best is to watch both versions.

If you have Das Boot on DVD, you no doubt have the Director's Cut. If watching that makes you want to know more about the characters, see more interaction between them, experience more of their ups and downs and daily life during a long u-boat patrol - then you may well enjoy the Original Uncut version.
Old 07-23-10, 12:04 PM   #8
conus00
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 166

I'll wait until the uncut version is released on Bluray (if ever).
Old 07-23-10, 12:18 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
Personally, I view the theatrical version as an action movie, the director's cut as a more atmospheric and "artsier" piece, and the mini-series as a character-based drama.
That's the best comparison of them I've ever read, and I've read (and written) a lot!

Old 07-23-10, 08:56 PM   #10
Destraex
Watch

thanks Frau. Goes hunting for his version to see what it is...
Old 07-24-10, 12:28 AM   #11
desertisland
Gunner

I have the theatrical release on VHS and the Uncut version on DVD. Plus two versions of Director's Cut: The flipper version (side A and B) which is basically two DVD5 (holding up to 4.37 GB each); The "Superbit" version with two DVD9 (holding up to 8.7 GB each).

The Superbit version boasts better video and audio. I do find the DTS soundtrack vastly superior but otherwise the improvement in video is hardly noticeable (they are all poor). This version does not contain a commentary track, behind the scene footage, or original trailers. All this can be found on both sides of the flipper version.

The uncut version has very poor video and audio. I don't like the stretched out story but your taste may differ.

The superbit version is long out-of print but available cheaply at Amazon or eBay. Except for the Uncut version, I got all of the above used for a bargain. I don't think the theatrical cut on VHS is available anywhere. But get the Superbit version if you're a audio-junkie. Get the flipper if you are a sucker for extras. Get the uncut if you think it's hardcore. Get all three if you are a freak like me.
Old 07-24-10, 12:48 AM   #12
Destraex
Watch

I'm after all the footage primarily. So the uncut version will do me.
I still have my directors iirc if I end up liking it less stretched.
Old 07-24-10, 11:32 AM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Well, I deleted my first post, because apparently I'm to stupid to actually read the OP. For no reason I can fathom I was thinking it was yet another alert for a TV showing somewhere. I didn't see until just now that it was a notice for a release on Blu-Ray!

While I don't use that format myself, this is indeed wonderful news.

My apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent when it was unwarranted.
Old 07-24-10, 02:01 PM   #14
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I have all the current versions, including the VHS theatrical version, and each has its own merits and minuses. As far as a Blu-Ray version goes, it is best to keep in mind the old saying of "garbage in, garbage out". The previous posts have cited the somewhat sub-par quality of some of the original film footage available due to poor storage or wear and tear. If you start with poor footage, all Blu-Ray might do is to further accentuate the flaws. This is rather like what happened here in the U.S. when the nation converted over to high-definition TV broadcasting: the people who appear on TV were suddenly faced with being unable to hide facial flaws or signs of aging as they did in the much lower definition broadcast standard. It has been a bit of a shock and revelation to see the marked difference in the physical appearance on many persons on TV. While it may be possible to enhance the footage, much like re-mastering a sound recording, the cost would not be justified by the relatively low number of sales or rentals that would come from a Blu-Ray edition. Perhaps some archival-minded third party, like the the Criterion Collection, may one day wish to invest in a full and proper restoration. Until then, a Blu-Ray version may just prove to be a disappiontment to those who are video quality purists.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 03:49 PM   #15
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Perhaps some archival-minded third party, like the the Criterion Collection, may one day wish to invest in a full and proper restoration.
Yeah, I am keeping my fingers crossed for this. With lots of extras, like interviews with cast/crew and maybe a "making of" documentary. I know I've seen clips of one on youtube but, alas, without subtitles.

Criterion has come through for me over the years with a lot of Kurosawa's stuff, to the point where I hesitate to buy a "lesser" release of any of his films that I'm still missing. If I do, inevitably Criterion puts out a superior disc within a year.