SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-21, 02:57 PM   #1
c6owboy
Nub

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Windows User Account control blocks sh4 from running

I wish I could get a picture of the error message I bought a new laptop a few days ago SH4 won't run on it now. If I try to run it as administrator it says this application has been blocked from for your protection by an administrator contact the administrator . Microsoft messed with the application and browser protection smartscreen. Even if you turn the setting off it still blocks it from running.
c6owboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 03:50 PM   #2
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6owboy View Post
I wish I could get a picture of the error message I bought a new laptop a few days ago SH4 won't run on it now. If I try to run it as administrator it says this application has been blocked from for your protection by an administrator contact the administrator . Microsoft messed with the application and browser protection smartscreen. Even if you turn the setting off it still blocks it from running.
Are you logged in as an admin?
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 05:15 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

You most likely have to change the SH4.exe Properties, as illustrated above.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 10:50 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

c6owboy! after a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 03:38 PM   #5
Sosondowah
Watch

Downloads: 21

I am in the same situation, trying to launch the game normally nothing happens, and I receive this when I try to do it as an administrator.

https://ibb.co/XVsrdLP

It' doesn't work even with these two options off, so I guess I am no longer the master of my domain. I mean my desktop.

https://ibb.co/0GSBYdB

Maybe Microsoft has decided SH4 is a menace to society and it should be banned. And also, since most likely I am not able to take care of myself, they will take care of me and my cyber security against my will.

Honestly, I have been thinking for some time to become a Linux (Ubuntu) user, maybe it's a good time to make this step.

Last edited by Sosondowah; 04-05-21 at 03:51 PM.
Sosondowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 08:36 PM   #6
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Other things to check, especially if UAC is blocking things - check that you have admin rights in your profile. There have been instances where Win10 updates take away admin rights - and if you only have the one account, you'll have to boot into safe mode, go into the recovery environment, enable the built in admin account, and then give your own account privileges again.

Two things all users starting of with Win10 should do is establish a local account with admin privileges (or better, install using only a local account to begin with) and then install software that prevents windows from automatically updating itself.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 01:48 AM   #7
Mechac
Nub

Downloads: 15

Weird. Defender protested redbannery against launching the game, but applying LAA seems to worked it out.
Oh Microsoft....
Mechac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-22, 05:24 AM   #8
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Other things to check, especially if UAC is blocking things - check that you have admin rights in your profile. There have been instances where Win10 updates take away admin rights - and if you only have the one account, you'll have to boot into safe mode, go into the recovery environment, enable the built in admin account, and then give your own account privileges again.

Two things all users starting of with Win10 should do is establish a local account with admin privileges (or better, install using only a local account to begin with) and then install software that prevents windows from automatically updating itself.
I agree that letting MS update itself whenever it wants is a bad idea, but how do we know if a Update is actually to help the User with Security or it's just MS doing housecleaning? I fear they hide all kinds of MS stuff behind the Security Comment and it has become more difficult (at least for me) to know when it's a valid threat. I don't know for the others but reading through all the boilerplate searching for the changes puts me to sleep! Then, when I wake up, I must recsll where I stopped!

Thanks for the suggestions -
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 12:21 AM   #9
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17
wolf_howl15

Having just treated myself to a new PC (see below), I downloaded and attempted to install the SH 4 1.4 patch: blowed if I didn't encounter that same confounded "Administrator Blocked" nonsense. (Typical Windows, making life harder for ordinary users by adding extra garbage)

I went through the steps outlined on this page : using the "Run the app/file via Hidden Administrator Account", I was able to install the file and, having installed SH 4 from the disc, right now there are no problems starting/running the game through the shortcut on my desktop.

Still, to make doubly sure that Microsoft don't screw up the game in future, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall SH 4 & patch 1.4 into a discrete folder on a different partition.

Kaigun: Imperial Japanese Navy webpage.

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 12:29 PM   #10
propbeanie

Which version of Silent Hunter 4 are you starting with? If you have the most common older disk version, that would v1.3, the 'original' was like v1.0.1 or similar, while the 'modern' version is of course, v1.5 - do not attempt to apply the SH4 1.4 patch on top of v1.5, of course. The others, it's fine. Just checking though...

Old 11-15-21, 12:14 PM   #11
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

This about sums it up. https://imgur.com/5WEqYoL
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 11:44 PM   #12
propbeanie

Oh my... you left two here - I think I'll copy one of those for my wall hanging here... lol - That is exactly what happens when you have a Win10 machine that is not "qualified" for Windows 11, but tries to "update" to it anyway... not once, but three times now... at least it now shows in red text on the Update page "This computer does NOT qualify for Windows 11 at this time."

Old 06-05-22, 05:00 AM   #13
l02turner
Soundman

Default SH4 won't Start after Win10 Update

I am getting the same irritating Red Window message (Admin is Blocked by Admin - Contact the Admin) but I have gotten this msg after recent MS (Major) Updates before. I am using Win10 Home, with SH4 installed in a non sysem folder and have worked through fhe suggestions but this time nothing is working. For now, I am ashore until I find the problem.

Ahoy Mates -
Old 04-28-22, 06:35 AM   #14
l02turner
Soundman

Default SH4 won't start after Win10 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
c6owboy! after a long silent run!
I'm sure you have a relevant comment but that "Lime" text color makes it impossible for me to read. It may be that I am color blind to Red/Green, but that Lime text blends into my white backrground making it look like a green smear.

Down Periscope ---
Old 04-28-22, 11:34 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

cool red white & blue

I'm so sorry! i apologise profusely. I'm totally blind since birth and have surgically implanted digital retinas that react better to green than the slightly grayish white lettering against a 'smartdark' background as opposed to 'white-white' which I prefer but, unfortunately, it gives me migraines...the same as those Goddamn blue headlights at night that ended my 17 year patrol career!! https://www.gaddisherd.com/blog/2021...are-dangerous/

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-28-22 at 11:42 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote