SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-10, 03:45 PM   #1
Marko
A-ganger

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0
Default Flak Gun

Hi all,

is there a way to man the Flak Gun in rough sea?

Tnx in advance

PS

It doesn't matter, i found it ehehhehe tnx

Last edited by Marko; 10-01-10 at 04:45 PM.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 04:56 PM   #2
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47

Is there a way to man them effectively is the question.
Old 10-01-10, 05:42 PM   #3
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39

In the past I have edited my storm conditions so that I could make the decision as to what is too rough, but at the same time did not use the tweak to run wild, with my crew six feet underwater firing the gun. My rationale is that the flak guns are higher than the deck gun and not swept by waves to the same extent the deck gun is. In theory it should be possible to use the flak gun when it is a bit too rough for the deck gun, but as you say, how effectively? On the Type II's, the flak gun is mounted on the deck so I use the storm condition as if it were a deck gun.
Old 10-01-10, 06:17 PM   #4
Marko
A-ganger

well my problem is not the gun cause i cannot fire at anything in rough sea, but the Flak gun. I beleive that both gun and Flak relate to the same condition.

Two days ago i was on patrol about 300 km far off Gibraltar and i was underwater waiting for a better weather condition (it was heavy clouds, heavy rain no visibility the usual weather that accompany me in shIII). At some point the weather improved (from the obs periscope there was no more clouds, no rain, i could not tell the visibility from periscope probably it was moderate or better and high waves) so, after checking also for possible aircraft ( i am in late november 1941 and aircrafts are becoming frequent and dangerous) i surfaced. After some minutes on the surface ( i was cheking the map to change course and take a better position) i heard the pitch sound of an aircraft (my lookout hasn't said anything). It was too late to crash dive and 30 seconds after a bomb exploded next to me causing severe damage and 3 deaths. Many compartments had flooding and submerge was out of dicussion but i wasn't able to man the FLAK cuz of the high waves. That plane has't dropped any other bombs but passed other 3 times and fired with the machine gun killing other 3 men. SO i was asking if there was a way to put men on station also in rough sea because the simulator wasn't allowing me to do that and i was defenceless.
Old 10-01-10, 09:20 PM   #5
K-61
Grey Wolf

You have to edit the data file for each submarine. Give me a minute and I'll look up the exact file to edit.
Old 10-01-10, 09:25 PM   #6
K-61
Grey Wolf

C:\game directory\data\submarine\subname\file with cfg extension\ and then find the storm line under sub properties heading. You'll see the number for the windspeed; simply change it to the number you desire. If you set it at 15 you can use both guns in any weather, as both guns are limited by the same entry. Use your judgement and sense of fair play. Here's an example:

StormConditions=9,0.4;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

In the above, change only the "9" and nothing else. Don't forget to save before closing. Use a text editor to open the file.
Old 10-02-10, 12:14 PM   #7
Marko
A-ganger

tnx a lot mate!
Old 10-02-10, 02:08 PM   #8
K-61
Grey Wolf

Let us know if it works for you.
Old 10-02-10, 03:15 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
tnx a lot mate!
Easier still....download this mod: http://www.filefront.com/12858195/GW...eather_Guns.7z

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 05:11 PM   #10
K-61
Grey Wolf

Even better, Skipper Jim!
Old 10-02-10, 08:27 PM   #11
Marko
A-ganger

it s working

Tnx

Cool the mod does that for all subs Tnx
Old 10-03-10, 04:56 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-61 View Post
Even better, Skipper Jim!
Quote:
it s working

Tnx

Cool the mod does that for all subs Tnx
SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 09:09 PM   #13
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Quote:
well my problem is not the gun cause i cannot fire at anything in rough sea, but the Flak gun. I beleive that both gun and Flak relate to the same condition.

Two days ago i was on patrol about 300 km far off Gibraltar and i was underwater waiting for a better weather condition (it was heavy clouds, heavy rain no visibility the usual weather that accompany me in shIII). At some point the weather improved (from the obs periscope there was no more clouds, no rain, i could not tell the visibility from periscope probably it was moderate or better and high waves) so, after checking also for possible aircraft ( i am in late november 1941 and aircrafts are becoming frequent and dangerous) i surfaced. After some minutes on the surface ( i was cheking the map to change course and take a better position) i heard the pitch sound of an aircraft (my lookout hasn't said anything). It was too late to crash dive and 30 seconds after a bomb exploded next to me causing severe damage and 3 deaths. Many compartments had flooding and submerge was out of dicussion but i wasn't able to man the FLAK cuz of the high waves. That plane has't dropped any other bombs but passed other 3 times and fired with the machine gun killing other 3 men. SO i was asking if there was a way to put men on station also in rough sea because the simulator wasn't allowing me to do that and i was defenceless.
It's almost impossible to evade the strafing runs from the planes, though unless you got multiple planes bombing you at once its not too hard to avoid getting hit with a DC or a bomb. Once the plane committs and starts its bombing run slam the engines to flank and hit hard port or starboard until the plane passes over. The bomb will usually either land behind you if you were travelling slow, or to one side or the other with you making a knuckle turn on the surface. It'll make it pretty much impossible for your AA gunner to hit the plane while you maneuver but at least you won't get hit by the bomb that can easily send you to the bottom.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote