SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-21, 03:34 PM   #1
phooey
A-ganger

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0
Default For all the blender gurus out there

Hey folks,

I tried to load M04B ship model from Wise but it turns out to be all dark like this and I don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

phooey.

Last edited by phooey; 11-16-21 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Image woes
phooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 03:52 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Can't see the picture (is it set to private?), but if it does not have a "built-in" texture, then you might need to put the called texture in the dat file's folder temprarily. If it is included in the dat, is it named properly? You might have to have the "Enable ambient occlusion map" button un-ticked.

Edit: Well... I am thinking along the lines of S3D... disregard the above. But what will apply is "how did you export the model?" Also, with Blender, it can have so many options, dependent upon which version you are using, so which version are you running, and when you import the model, what are your import settings? When attempting to "render", have you linked the texture file to the UV map? etc. etc.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-16-21 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Whoops!
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 07:02 PM   #3
phooey
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Can't see the picture (is it set to private?), but if it does not have a "built-in" texture, then you might need to put the called texture in the dat file's folder temprarily. If it is included in the dat, is it named properly? You might have to have the "Enable ambient occlusion map" button un-ticked.

Edit: Well... I am thinking along the lines of S3D... disregard the above. But what will apply is "how did you export the model?" Also, with Blender, it can have so many options, dependent upon which version you are using, so which version are you running, and when you import the model, what are your import settings? When attempting to "render", have you linked the texture file to the UV map? etc. etc.
Thanks for the reply, propbeanie.

I have no issue in my end, might be your adblocker trying to block the image.

I have blender 2.92 and I import normally without touching any setting. Here's my S3D export setting.

Anyway, this ship has AO map too. But apparently blender don't load it automatically, so what do I do?

Last edited by phooey; 11-16-21 at 08:45 PM. Reason: same as above
Old 11-16-21, 07:58 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by phooey View Post
Thanks for the reply, propbeanie.

I have no issue in my end, might be your adblocker trying to block the image.

I have blender 2.92 and I import normally without touching any setting. Here's my S3D export setting.

https://download851.mediafire.com/df...nder+woes3.png

Anyway, this ship has AO map too. But apparently blender don't load it automatically, so what do I do?

https://download1645.mediafire.com/5...nder+woes2.png
Hmmm... After doing a bit of... editing of your supposed links for pics... is coming up, NOT as images.. but files to be downloaded...

Don't know just what the heck you are doing to attempt to show pics.. BUT... that, aint it...

Here, with spaces added in, to have it show... is your original posting of what is "supposed" to be pic links..

& for your info... before I did the tinkering about with your post... even "I" could NOT see those links there... so NO... it ain't anything to do with an AD blocker....

Might retry taking your snap shots of what you want seen... & try using https://snipboard.io/ to share them... is the site I use to share pics, without any problems... like this...

Hope this info helps..

M. M.
Old 11-16-21, 08:41 PM   #5
phooey
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Hmmm... After doing a bit of... editing of your supposed links for pics... is coming up, NOT as images.. but files to be downloaded...

Don't know just what the heck you are doing to attempt to show pics.. BUT... that, aint it...

Here, with spaces added in, to have it show... is your original posting of what is "supposed" to be pic links..

& for your info... before I did the tinkering about with your post... even "I" could NOT see those links there... so NO... it ain't anything to do with an AD blocker....

Might retry taking your snap shots of what you want seen... & try using https://snipboard.io/ to share them... is the site I use to share pics, without any problems... like this...

Hope this info helps..

M. M.
Hey M. M, thanks for the info. I hope it's working now.

Believe it or not this is what I saw from my pc before I edit it.

Old 11-16-21, 09:06 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Hey M. M, thanks for the info. I hope it's working now.

Believe it or not this is what I saw from my pc before I edit it.

It is... &... you're quite welcome.

Now, that what you're seeing & experiencing, is visible, now it will be a fairly easy means to know what it is going on & extrapolate a means to figure out what to do, to correct the issue/s you are experiencing...

NOT that I can I freely admit to knowing very little as it is, & what I do, would probably not fill a thimble...

How ever, what I do know, I shall gladly & freely pass on so as to help, where ever I can, when I can.

M. M.
Old 11-16-21, 10:50 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am definitely NOT a Blender guru. A geek maybe, since it facinates me and I do keep trying, but I do not comprehend 3D. Probably because my depth perception is borked (tic). Who knows. It just does not stick in my grey matter. The pictures are now missing in this old post, but it is generally easy enough to understand:

Import/export 3D models to/from game using S3D from skwasjer, the S3D author

Not having re-read it, but from my memory (look-out! low-flying plane!!!), you might have to un-check the quotes on the texture file name... ?? you might want to export the uv file, or rebuild it when finished with your regular obj edits. You have to link to the texture once in Blender, which I am not remembering how right now, but it is at least a two step process... every time I go to use Blender though, I have to use YouTube and search for a video for what I am trying to do, and specifically for my version of Blender, which is v2.8, and it takes me days sometimes to accomplish anything, other than a mess... I speak Korean better than I speak Blender, and all my Korean is from Taekwondo... Kima Sogi!!! (some say kimo jahsay) "OWWW!!!" Notice also, that I cannot write Korean... Anyway, I pestered kapuhy no end for my last edits, and most of my troubles were solved when he suggested getting rid of the "smoothing" in the import and export dialogs in Blender. It did take me a while to find them though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 02:46 AM   #8
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Hey folks,

I tried to load M04B ship model from Wise but it turns out to be all dark like this and I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,

phooey.
I'm using different version of Blender but:

- seems you have texture view switched on, if no texture is linked texture view will display object in uniform color so this might be the cause. Note when importing .obj files exported from S3D Blender does not automatically link the texture to meshes, you have to do it manually.

Edit: to check if this is your issue, switch to Solid view - if you see shading then, it will be the issue above.

- For some reason, superstructure walls are not displaying. It might be that you have not exported everything (if these walls are in different subset or object), or there's a problem with normals facing the wrong way (which would cause the faces not to display if you have Backface Culling on).
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 03:18 AM   #9
Alex.B
Frogman

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance,

phooey.

It's hard to tell without seeing the settings.
Overdid it with the light setting? Try to remove all the lights.
Or is it a texture issue.

my screenshot
Alex.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 06:29 AM   #10
phooey
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I am definitely NOT a Blender guru. A geek maybe, since it facinates me and I do keep trying, but I do not comprehend 3D. Probably because my depth perception is borked (tic). Who knows. It just does not stick in my grey matter. The pictures are now missing in this old post, but it is generally easy enough to understand:

Import/export 3D models to/from game using S3D from skwasjer, the S3D author

Not having re-read it, but from my memory (look-out! low-flying plane!!!), you might have to un-check the quotes on the texture file name... ?? you might want to export the uv file, or rebuild it when finished with your regular obj edits. You have to link to the texture once in Blender, which I am not remembering how right now, but it is at least a two step process... every time I go to use Blender though, I have to use YouTube and search for a video for what I am trying to do, and specifically for my version of Blender, which is v2.8, and it takes me days sometimes to accomplish anything, other than a mess... I speak Korean better than I speak Blender, and all my Korean is from Taekwondo... Kima Sogi!!! (some say kimo jahsay) "OWWW!!!" Notice also, that I cannot write Korean... Anyway, I pestered kapuhy no end for my last edits, and most of my troubles were solved when he suggested getting rid of the "smoothing" in the import and export dialogs in Blender. It did take me a while to find them though...
Appreciate the view, but the other ships don't have the same problem, so imho, import/export might not the culprit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I'm using different version of Blender but:

- seems you have texture view switched on, if no texture is linked texture view will display object in uniform color so this might be the cause. Note when importing .obj files exported from S3D Blender does not automatically link the texture to meshes, you have to do it manually.

Edit: to check if this is your issue, switch to Solid view - if you see shading then, it will be the issue above.

- For some reason, superstructure walls are not displaying. It might be that you have not exported everything (if these walls are in different subset or object), or there's a problem with normals facing the wrong way (which would cause the faces not to display if you have Backface Culling on).
Hey kapuhy,

if blender cannot find the texture, the model will be magenta in color, which is not the case here.

Yes, I haven't load everything since this ship has like 125 parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.B View Post
It's hard to tell without seeing the settings.
Overdid it with the light setting? Try to remove all the lights.
Or is it a texture issue.

my screenshot
Hey alex.b,

I thought it's a light issue at first but no. If uncheck ambient occlusion in render properties, the problem is somewhat lifted, but when I tried to render the model, I only get a black result.

Old 11-18-21, 09:35 AM   #11
Alex.B
Frogman

Quote:
...I tried to load M04B ship model from Wise but it turns out to be all dark like this and I don't know what to do...
problem solved? If not, then I can see your blend-file?
Old 11-19-21, 10:10 PM   #12
phooey
A-ganger

Quote:
problem solved? If not, then I can see your blend-file?
Not yet, Alex.B. I'm still tending the other ships.

Here if you want to take a look at it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dp1hc...5/M04B.7z/file

Thanks in advance,

phooey
Old 11-19-21, 11:58 PM   #13
Alex.B
Frogman

phooey

RESET NORMALS
Old 11-20-21, 07:02 AM   #14
phooey
A-ganger

Quote:
phooey

RESET NORMALS

Hey Alex.B, it works.

Flip normals gives better result but thanks for the clue nonetheless.
Old 11-21-21, 05:11 AM   #15
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367

Quote:

Hey Alex.B, it works.

Flip normals gives better result but thanks for the clue nonetheless.
Nice job pal
can we have a d/l link?

cheers
nik112 is online   Reply With Quote