SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-13, 01:37 PM   #16
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 0

Hey Gap!

Now that you're there, do you know how to hide bone in TDW's GR2 editor? I'm about to test your idea about adding the DMG_col-command to ship_cargo.GR2, but can't get that thing hidden!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 04:26 PM   #17
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
Now that you're there...
Sorry for the late reply

Quote:
...do you know how to hide bone in TDW's GR2 editor? I'm about to test your idea about adding the DMG_col-command to ship_cargo.GR2, but can't get that thing hidden!
Yes, select the bone ('Show' checkbox and bone's checkbox checked), right click on it => Edit => ExtendedData => MaxProperties => Hide

change the setting to 1
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 01:10 AM   #18
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

Yes, select the bone ('Show' checkbox and bone's checkbox checked), right click on it => Edit => ExtendedData => MaxProperties => Hide

change the setting to 1
Weird, I did just that, but it didn't have any effect, I could see that the DMG_col bone was still visible in the Goblin Editor

Any ideas, does it work for you?
Old 10-03-13, 07:32 AM   #19
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Weird, I did just that, but it didn't have any effect, I could see that the DMG_col bone was still visible in the Goblin Editor

Any ideas, does it work for you?
Hi Rongel, a few thoughts:

- if it was on me, I would create a new DMG_col bone for each cargo model, with main model's bone set as parent and 'Hide' property set to 1, and without rotation/position data. I would then add the new bones to the bone bindings of their respective mesh. I am not sure that it would work: I haven't ever seen an object using the same mesh as collision model and as visible mesh (as we do for imported dat ships), but given the current limitation of GR2 Editor (i.e. the impossibility to add new meshes to a native file), this is the only way that I can think of. Are you following the same method?

- overlapping visible meshes cause flickering in game. I don't know how Goblin renders them. Anyway, since you would be using the same mesh as visible model and as collision model, and you would overlap the two of them, it could be arduous deciding from Goblin's viewport wether a DMG_col model is correctly set to hidden or not.

- invisible bones are nonetheless marked in bold in Goblin's scene tree view. Are they displayed so, for your edited GR2 file?
Old 10-03-13, 08:39 AM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
ops... I think I have just stepped in Steve's shoes: now your mod got four different download links, two of them on Subsim
Not a problem. I didn't realize you beat me to it. I'll just take mine down again.

[edit] There is a minor problem. Wrongel's link is to mine, not yours. He can change that, or with his permission I can.
Old 10-03-13, 08:57 AM   #21
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Not a problem. I didn't realize you beat me to it. I'll just take mine down again.

[edit] There is a minor problem. Wrongel's link is to mine, not yours. He can change that, or with his permission I can.
LOL I was going to remove my upload, but I see you have already done it with yours, and yes, Rongel's link was to your upload of his mod
Old 10-03-13, 09:20 AM   #22
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
LOL I was going to remove my upload, but I see you have already done it with yours, and yes, Rongel's link was to your upload of his mod
Ok no panic, I'll fix it!
Old 10-03-13, 09:24 AM   #23
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Ok no panic, I'll fix it!
Old 10-03-13, 11:38 AM   #24
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Hi Rongel, a few thoughts:

- if it was on me, I would create a new DMG_col bone for each cargo model, with main model's bone set as parent and 'Hide' property set to 1, and without rotation/position data. I would then add the new bones to the bone bindings of their respective mesh. I am not sure that it would work: I haven't ever seen an object using the same mesh as collision model and as visible mesh (as we do for imported dat ships), but given the current limitation of GR2 Editor (i.e. the impossibility to add new meshes to a native file), this is the only way that I can think of. Are you following the same method?

- overlapping visible meshes cause flickering in game. I don't know how Goblin renders them. Anyway, since you would be using the same mesh as visible model and as collision model, and you would overlap the two of them, it could be arduous deciding from Goblin's viewport wether a DMG_col model is correctly set to hidden or not.

- invisible bones are nonetheless marked in bold in Goblin's scene tree view. Are they displayed so, for your edited GR2 file?
Thanks for the thoughts! I never got the bolded/hidden marking in Goblin. I have to say I'm no ace with the GR2 editor, but I understand now that the DMG_col bone needs a mesh also, I mean that it should also be visible in the "meshes" menu. Just making the bone doesn't do anything (I studied the lifeboat.gr2 file).

I was following your method, but couldn't get through this:
Quote:
I would then add the new bones to the bone bindings of their respective mesh.
There ends my skills with the editor. If we could make a new mesh, it would be relatively simple task, but now I'm out of ideas.

I think I'll make a test using .dat cargos and adding the DMG_col-node in s3d editor. It should work???
Old 10-03-13, 12:08 PM   #25
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts! I never got the bolded/hidden marking in Goblin.
If so, the bones you have added to the file are still visible

Quote:
I have to say I'm no ace with the GR2 editor, but I understand now that the DMG_col bone needs a mesh also, I mean that it should also be visible in the "meshes" menu. Just making the bone doesn't do anything (I studied the lifeboat.gr2 file).
It is as for dat units: each DMG_col node/bone requires a mesh to work. In native GR2 files, it is a low-poly copy of the visible mesh. Nonetheless, as you yourself teached me quite a long while ago, TDW discovered that on imported dat units the DMG_Col node could be linked to its respective main mesh, thus eliminating the need to import a whole new mesh. The same can be done with GR2 objects: you create a new bone, and then you link the appropriate mesh to it, through meshe's bone bindings (each mesh can accept more than one binding).

The only difference between S3d Editor and GR2 Editor on this respect, is that using the former you need to paste the Id of the linked model in node's 'Mode Id' field, whereas using GR2 Editor you need to select the name(s) of the linked bone(s) in meshe's bone bindings editor (right click on the mesh and select 'Edit bone binding(s)' to recall that window).

Quote:
I was following your method, but couldn't get through this:
There ends my skills with the editor. If we could make a new mesh, it would be relatively simple task, but now I'm out of ideas.
You don't have to. See my instructions above. I can do the needed changes to the GR2 file myself if you want, but if you prefer going on yourself don't hesitate asking for any further clarification you may need
Old 10-03-13, 12:20 PM   #26
Rongel
Grey Wolf

What version of the editor you are using Gap? I can't seem to find that Bone binding editor. I have "add material to material bindings" instead. I'm using 1.1.265 version. If I can't get it working, maybe you could do one example, and I'll follow that.
Old 10-03-13, 12:45 PM   #27
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
What version of the editor you are using Gap? I can't seem to find that Bone binding editor. I have "add material to material bindings" instead. I'm using 1.1.265 version. If I can't get it working, maybe you could do one example, and I'll follow that.
Okay, I will send you a PM
Old 10-03-13, 12:58 PM   #28
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Super!
Old 10-03-13, 02:27 PM   #29
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

The only bone I'm concerned with is the one in that Tribals' teeth about to ram me as I've concerned myself overlong with a juicy Liberty's aft quarters! Fangschuss mein arsen!...ALAAARM: 5 & SHIFT V & SHIFT--> and Y (if ya' gottem') AUF FEIDERZEIN TECH SAVANTS

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 02:51 PM   #30
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
The only bone I'm concerned with is the one in that Tribals' teeth about to ram me as I've concerned myself overlong with a juicy Liberty's aft quarters!
erm... what kind of tribals are we talking about here?