SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-10, 08:11 PM   #46
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

I'm also looking for a smartphone, but I'm stuck with AT&T. I'd also not like to spend 199 on it since I'm building my PC.
Old 05-27-10, 08:17 AM   #47
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

I have my iPhone which I love except for the crappy keyboard, lack of flash, the day long totally unexplained internet drops, the rubbish safari browser, and the fact it's made by Apple whom I loath and that by buying it I have apparently signed up for some sort of cult where we worship any bubble shaped, over priced, underpowered gizmo as long as it's painted white. Still love my iPhone, though.

Apps wise, I have news feeders from a dozen news organisations and papers, a translator, a dictionary and a hand gun simulator which helps me through the day.

I had wanted one of those 'Mosquito' apps but decided not to bother when I discovered they only tortured adolescants. I wanted one that tortured everyone but I suppose thats what having a speaker on the phone I can play Primus through is for.

I'm being (almost) facetious. It's decent enough and there is something undeniable cool about having google earth on you when you get lost after being at the pub. This is handier than it seems; i got lost in my own neighbourhood a few months ago and that was on the WAY to the boozer.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 09:06 AM   #48
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I still have my trusty Samsung ACE smart phone. Can not live without the darn thing.
Old 05-27-10, 09:08 AM   #49
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
Are you "happy" or are the smartphone to complicated,I prefer in moment pc and diffrent option so maybe later..
It useful for different things. I don't like doing forum business on the phone because i find the keyboard too fiddly to use for anything longer than a couple of sentences. I'll tell you something, though. I barely use it at all for making calls or sending texts. I use the email on it all the time. For some reason it seems easier than writing replies on forums - I dont know why.

It's so handy for things like ebay. Ive even gotten over my original fear of using it to pay for stuff and I'm as happy using PayPal on it as on my desktop PC.

I have no interest in watcing movies on it or playing games, But then I wouldnt watch movies on my dek top either. The one thing I would love to be on it is a PDF reader and storage. Oh yeah, and an end to the stupid data tarrifs for using it abroad. It would be nice if the battery lasted a bit longer too.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 09:23 PM   #50
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Being a silly Nokia follower I use an E72.

In end of March the phone went dead after it failed in the middle an update process.

Took almost 4 weeks before I got my phone back. They changed the whole engine so I've got a new IMEI(with the old casing).

what I'm fond of is the GPS. aside from that some minor application. In truth smartphones are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay inferior to a PC.
Haven't really reinstalled the apps I've lost due to the repair.

As about email I was forced to change my secure email password because Nokia's flagship 'smartphone' can't recognize a key from the standard keyboard. The input to the character is simply unavailable.
Old 06-19-10, 03:46 PM   #51
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

@ Herr-Berbunch,

Are you happy with your Hero? My dad doesn't want to spring for the EVO, but he did say that he was willing to pick up Heroes for the family...they're going for $20 on Wirefly with a 2 year Sprint contract.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:14 AM   #52
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Time to dig this one up

A small update here, as I got myself a Samsung Galaxy S:

Coming from a Nokia phone I can now easily see why Nokia, Apple and RIM are all losing the smartphone market to Android-based phones.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:30 AM   #53
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Yea I changed my phone too

Nokia E72 . . . . because I hated Blackberry fever but wanted a smartphone. I was eyeing the E52 which is small and looked smart but settled for E72 because I read so many complaints on E52 and the closest phone with on par performance(especially that noise canceling feature which I thought kind of neat) was the E72 though it cost quite a lot more. . . .I still think E52 is the value for money.

When I had time to fiddle with a Blackberry I changed my mind about it being an overpriced and over hyped product. The interface is really easy to use compared to my Nokia and seemed to run noticeably smoother or faster too. Yea Blackberry isn't that bad.

As for Android maybe for my next phone few years from now when the soft is fully matured and well upgraded. Not saying it isn't now but the more you wait the more you get when dealing with software or gadget for that matter :-)

Edit: I must say that Nokia is plagued with build quality problem, unstable PC software and seemingly some serious problems in some of their phones as well some tarnished reputation in their customer service department at least in here for the past several years now. It has grown too fat and too complacent. When I learned later that NOKIA was firing its executives I must say good riddance!

Last edited by Castout; 08-20-10 at 05:34 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 10:35 AM   #54
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Switched last week to a HTC Legend. Vodafone Netherlands have given me a half-decent contract.

So far, very impressed. The only problem is the battery life, if I'm using it heavily, lots of intertubes, gps, etc, it's a charge-a-day device. This is easily solved through ebay, a few extra batteries and a multiple charger. One battery in my jacket, another in my locker at work, etc etc
Old 08-20-10, 12:39 PM   #55
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
HTC Hero

I'm also using an HTC Hero, but the Sprint CDMA version:
Just switched from an AT&T RAZR a couple months ago.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 12:46 PM   #56
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I'm a Apple iPhone 3G 8GB user compliments of the company. Before that I vowed that I would never use a smart phone but quite frankly having the iPhone has been a savior when out of the office on the road or indeed on weekends. It' also great for when I am in bed and couldn't be bothered to grab the laptop and I can just hook in to my wifi. Some of the apps are great. For example using the Formulae 1 Live Timing app when we were at Silverstone for Saturday Qualifying was great as I could see all the times live on my iPhone and even could see each of the 3 sector splits. All that for free and we knew exactly who had qualified where while others were standing around asking who came in what place. Yeah I'm embarrassed to say that I love my iPhone for both work and play.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)

Last edited by Konovalov; 08-20-10 at 01:07 PM.
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 02:01 PM   #57
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothBalls View Post

I'm old school.
Your Rich !!! I have 2 cans and a string.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 08:40 AM   #58
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I'm another HTC Hero! After years of being in the Sony Ericsson gang I decided to jump ship in January this year and I haven't looked back.

Thousands of free aps for the Android OS including a metal detector, which has saved my bacon on several occasions. The kids love using Google SkyMaps at night to see planets and I regularly use Facebook and Ebay apps, and obviously use it to get on SUBSIM when not near another method.

I've got lots of friends with fancy-pants iPhones and see the trouble most of them have and it just makes me glad not to have plumped for one of them - I know they're great, but that's only when they work!
Old 08-21-10, 09:26 AM   #59
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I'm another HTC Hero! After years of being in the Sony Ericsson gang I decided to jump ship in January this year and I haven't looked back.
The girlfriend has had a Hero since Christmas, been driving me crazy with jealousy with my old Sony Ericsson
So I went out a grabbed a Legend, her turn now
Old 08-22-10, 03:46 PM   #60
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I finally was able to order the cell phone I wanted

Jitterbug J. The only thing that was holding me back was that the eairler Jitterbugs were not Bluetooth. The "J" is.

I love it. It just makes phone calls. That's what I want in a cell phone. I don't want a relationship with my cell phone. I don't want my cell phone to manage my life. It is a tool to make cell phone calls when I want to make a cell phone call.

Tags
mobile, phone