SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-10, 01:13 PM   #136
VirtualVikingX
Captain

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Had my first crash just now. Straight CTD - no message afterwards. I was trying to use the UZO.
VirtualVikingX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 01:25 PM   #137
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I thought that such punishments for bad behaviour had been abolished in the 19th century (Look at the sailor on the right, buried till the neck)

Wonder if there is another in the lower bunk doing dirty things to him while he is inmobilized

Old 03-02-10, 01:44 PM   #138
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

anyone else experience random mouse-look sensitivy problems post patch?
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:08 PM   #139
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

So what? U-96 had a ghost, why can't your u-boat have a disembodied sailor?

I'm hoping for a siren, myself. Would be an excellent way to neutralize the crew of a ship before striking.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:14 PM   #140
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9

I think Ubi has a permanent fixation on the Philadelphia Experiment ...

Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:35 PM   #141
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVikingX View Post
I think you can change this while in the bunker, before a patrol. Just hit the ESC-key --> options.
Thanks VirtualVikingX.

That's just like me.
Take something really easy and turn it into something unnecessarily complicated.

EDIT: Like I said in my original post 'unless I missed something'.
Obviously I did!
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 06:25 PM   #142
Rickenbacker
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

Post patch I still have some issues.

- Can't man the deck gun from the conning tower, even though the "interact" icon pops up. I have to climb down the side to man it.

- When I DO manage to man the deck gun, there's no gunsight of any kind, no crosshairs and no optics, even though the manual says there should be.

- ...and if I let the gun crew do the shooting, they never stop! I can't tell them to cease fire, nor un-man the gun!

- I can't send any radio messages to report convoys, or send patrol reports. As a matter of fact my radio station is completely non-functional - nothing is clickable at all - even though the manual says that I should be able to do these things from there.

- Observation periscope is still up when I start a patrol.

- Still no way to find out the depth under the keel.

- Letting the crew do the torpedo settings is very un-intuitive, I'm never sure just what I have to do to give them a good solution. Leading the target with the periscope seems to work, but should I really have to do that if the crew fed the correct data into the computer? I ended up doing the "Q&A" method, giving the XO the readings in the dialog - is that the only way to do it manually? Isn't there a torpedo computer like in the earlier games?

- Is it just me, or do the british planes fly almost exclusively at night? I rarely see an airplane during the day, but at night there's heaps of airplanes all the time!

- Leaving the binoculars still turns off mouse view control, so I have to right click again to get it back.

- No way to set the course, other than setting a new waypoint. Would be very nice if holding down ctrl (for advanced controls) would also show a compass rose, or strip type compass that you could click to set a heading.

- My crewmen seem to report contacts as "Ship, course 135", when they mean "Ship, bearing 135", at least in german. Haven't tried in english.

On the plus side, I spotted a british sub off the Scottish coast! Gunned him for a bit with the 88, until he dove to get away. That was very cool!

Last edited by Rickenbacker; 03-02-10 at 06:40 PM.
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 06:28 PM   #143
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67

I have a few questions about SH5,, and i don't see the need to make a big whoopto do out of it by making a new thread.

The following are issues from SH4 that i was wondering if they were corrected in SH5:

1.) Does the watch and gun crews only don their oilskilns when it rains, and never in high wind conditions like they did in SH3? (have read around, i believe this is an issue still)

2.) Is certain (crucial) crew vocalizations not working correctly? Such as the soundman not reporting depth charges, and the navigator not vocalizing depth under the keel and only displaying a text output?

3.) Does your boat have difficulty maintaining depth without ludicrious amounts of foward speed when you dive at or deeper then 183 meters? (600 ft)

4.) At the end of a patrol, does your logbook note all the ships you sunk during that patrol, as all having occured on one single day?

There are other things, but those are the top of my list.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 06:34 PM   #144
Rickenbacker
Sailor man

There seemed to be some vocalizations missing in the german speech installation, mainly reporting the depth, but those are in place after the patch (i.e. "current depth 40 meters" and so on.)
Old 03-02-10, 06:34 PM   #145
Don_D_Dwain
Seaman

Downloads: 9

I have to admit, that though I still do not like the idea of DRM, I still went and got the game. The auto patch is nice, but now crew management and system mgnt. and torpedo mgnt does not work, well first patch, we will see. In time I guess I could learn to like this game, but I think SH3 and SH4 will do just fine for now. But in time, this may have some potential. It is new, so we must just be patient. Hated SH4 when it was first out, now The game is Great, just like you guys in here, thanks so much for all the advice. By the Way, as you probably know by now, to turn full rudder SHIFT RT or LT arrow, just since I saw that back in the post only turning 1 degree thing, good luck.
Don_D_Dwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 06:36 PM   #146
Rickenbacker
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtag View Post
Another bug for me. Anchor for ending mission is rarely coming up when i enter port. I have to save and reload to get it back to end a patrol.
I thougth I had this same problem, until I realized that I had to be ridiculously close to the docks before the anchor would show up. Like literally 4-5 sub lengths sometimes!
Old 03-02-10, 06:41 PM   #147
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
- When I DO manage to man the deck gun, there's no gunsight of any kind, no crosshairs and no optics, even though the manual says there should be.
this tripped me up as well. There's an icon in the top left corner you have to click. It's next to the Ammo selectors. Click it, then click it again to zoom closer.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 07:41 PM   #148
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

A nitpick: why is my cook listed as a Kpt z See? As is my Bosun.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 07:43 PM   #149
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
A nitpick: why is my cook listed as a Kpt z See? As is my Bosun.
That explains why they don't do anything when their morale is low.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 07:50 PM   #150
Itkovian
Helmsman

Downloads: 15

I'm having a major problem, myself:

The game loads normally up to the menu. In the menu the tooltip boxes are bright white with white text (so I cannot read them), and when a mission is loaded the image I get is frozen. The mouse cursor is fine, and I can hear myself moving and the mouse cursor changing as if I am hovering it over something I can use, yet the 3D image is frozen. Only the GUI works.

I am currently downloading the new nVidia drivers, hopefully this will help.

My hardware:

Win7 64
i7 920 @3ghz
6g ddr3 RAM
nVidia GTS285 2gig RAM

Has anyone run into this issue as well?

Itkovian
Itkovian is offline   Reply With Quote