SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-11, 02:31 PM   #16
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1111 View Post
In SH3 there is a simple way to stabilize ONLY the UZO
But why would you want to? I can understand the desire for a gamer to want to make it easier, but, as I said, I see no way that this could have been done in real life.
Old 03-02-11, 02:40 PM   #17
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 0

Quote:
In SH3 there is a simple way to stabilize ONLY the UZO (by setting non-stabilize in menu-option):
I think I saw same parameters in data/library/cameras.GR2 using Goblin editor. I'm pretty sure you can change the same value, just like in your screenshot, but not sure if it works in game. Have to try this when I have some time. My goal is to unstabilize the deck gun!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 06:51 AM   #18
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
I think I saw same parameters in data/library/cameras.GR2 using Goblin editor. I'm pretty sure you can change the same value, just like in your screenshot
Mmmmh, that´s the point, I doesn´t found an similar entry as in SH3 (cameras.dat) in the SH5 File "camera.cam" !

Has nobody an idea ? Is in SH5 the file "camera.cam" the right file to search ?

Best regards,
Magic
Old 03-03-11, 06:57 AM   #19
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
But why would you want to? I can understand the desire for a gamer to want to make it easier, but, as I said, I see no way that this could have been done in real life.
Please let us not discuss about it´s real or not....! I think furthermore my description about the UZO here: http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radio...99&postcount=3 is historically correct and I want this in game too ! That´s all !

And now I need help to adjust this in SH5 (as I do this very easy via S3D in SH3) !

Best regards,
Magic
Old 03-03-11, 08:37 AM   #20
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Please let us not discuss about it´s real or not....! I think furthermore my description about the UZO here: http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radio...99&postcount=3 is historically correct and I want this in game too ! That´s all !

And now I need help to adjust this in SH5 (as I do this very easy via S3D in SH3) !

Best regards,
Magic
you can of course choose to mod your own game any way you wish, but no, it is not historically correct.
Old 03-03-11, 08:40 AM   #21
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
you can of course choose to mod your own game any way you wish, but no, it is not historically correct.
- now i do not know how it was in real... i know that magic1111 love very much uboat history and he readed a lot of books about... and i know that you are well informed all the time
so can you point me where to read some inf about UZO to see what was for real?
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 09:33 AM   #22
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
- now i do not know how it was in real... i know that magic1111 love very much uboat history and he readed a lot of books about... and i know that you are well informed all the time
so can you point me where to read some inf about UZO to see what was for real?

There was nothing magical about the UZO. It was a simple pair of binoculars strapped to a fixed point. No rangefinding mechanism, although you could send the bearing.

If you look at the photos I posted above, the UZO was fixed with a large axis on each side so you could pivot it up and down and keep a ship fixed even though the U-boat's bow was going up and down. However, since the "stabilizing" was done by the crewman, it would not work in very heavy seas. Furthermore, there is no stabilizing whatsoever for waves coming from the side.

Now let's look at the periscope. True, there is no stabilizing mechanism whatsoever, but that is because you don't need one. A sub underwater at 45-60 feet is much less affected by surface waves, so less side to side movement than if it is on the surface. In respect of fore and aft movement, you have the entire 220+ feet length of the hull underwater acting as a stabilizer, so little movement that way either.

so, you have two options, either of which can be seen as correct:

1. scope stabilized, UZO not stabilized;
2. scope stabilized, UZO stabilised;

options 1 and 2 are already available in all SH games.

however option 3: scope not stabilized, UZO stabilized is not historically correct.
Old 03-03-11, 10:22 AM   #23
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
I never would have brought it up, but that was the very statement I was challenging, and I still say you're wrong, it was not automatically stabilized, and just like the deck gun there was no way it could be. I agree with the others, you're free to play any way you want, and if I knew a way to stabilize it in the game I would tell you. Just don't insist you're doing it because it's historically correct, because it's not.
Old 03-03-11, 10:24 AM   #24
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

I agree with these posts:

http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radio...40&postcount=6

3rd post from above:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...2/m/8311049103

and my sources in my historical books !

Best regards,
Magic
Old 03-03-11, 10:27 AM   #25
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
and if I knew a way to stabilize it in the game I would tell you. .
It´s okay, thanks mate !
Old 03-03-11, 11:12 AM   #26
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

This question keeps coming up and from what I can see is based solely on the fact that this is the way it works in SH3! However, SH3 is a game, not a reference guide.

For more empirical evidence, I would rather rely on the inspection report of the U-570, a type VIIc which was captured in august 1941:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570ONIReport.htm

this is what it says about the UZO (p.59-60):

Quote:
A binocular support is installed at about the center of the chariot bridge. This support is shown in Photograph No. 5 (binoculars were not mounted when the photograph was taken). Binoculars mounted on the stand may be rapidly trained by turning a finned driving ring which is near the top of, and concentric with, the mounting. An azimuth circle with vernier is fitted on the mounting. The binoculars secured to the movable head can be elevated or depressed and adjusted for distance between the eyes. The mounting permits a clear view around the horizon. The binoculars are of pressure proof construction. These arrangements provide a bridge torpedo director. A small lever on the starboard side of the pedestal of the mounting was stated by the ship's gunner to be a torpedo firing lever for firing bow tubes from the bridge.
as noted, they can be moved up and down, but no mention of a fancy gyrostabilizer mechanism, which I presume, would have been mentioned if it existed.
Old 03-03-11, 11:24 AM   #27
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
I see that you choose to ignore my response to that very claim. "Most likely" means that he was guessing and hoping, not that he had a clue what he was talking about. And upon rereading my own response I have to repeat it: How exactly would this be made to work?

Again he makes a claim with no verification at all. It's worthless.

Quote:
and my sources in my historical books !
What books? If you're going to make a claim like this you need to quote the source exactly, and provide a link to where I can buy the same book and learn this. Anyone can claim anything and say they have a reference, but if you don't show it then it is meaningless.
Old 03-03-11, 01:04 PM   #28
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

I have been thinking about how this could work.

When you are standing on the deck of a boat travelling forward, there is a lot of motion up and down as the boat pushes through a wave. (more so than side sway)

Now if I am used to standing on this deck (sea legs) I can sway with the movement of the boat. So my head is always parallel to the sea. If I had a stick in front of me that was free moving forward and back and fixed to deck, I could hold this against myself and continue my sway. So I become the stabilizer. If this was binos and could also pivot at the head - perhaps a steady view could be achieved.

Last edited by Trevally.; 03-03-11 at 01:27 PM.
Trevally. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 03:13 PM   #29
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
I have been thinking about how this could work.

When you are standing on the deck of a boat travelling forward, there is a lot of motion up and down as the boat pushes through a wave. (more so than side sway)

Now if I am used to standing on this deck (sea legs) I can sway with the movement of the boat. So my head is always parallel to the sea. If I had a stick in front of me that was free moving forward and back and fixed to deck, I could hold this against myself and continue my sway. So I become the stabilizer. If this was binos and could also pivot at the head - perhaps a steady view could be achieved.
That is what I figure also.

By captain_joch at 2011-03-02

By captain_joch at 2011-03-02

the crewman is leaning against the pedestal and can keep the UZO aimed at the horizon just by standing up or crouching down. Since a boat will usually head into waves, side motion should not normally be a factor. Should be fairly easy to keep the image level, except in rough seas.
Old 03-03-11, 03:18 PM   #30
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Should be fairly easy to keep the image level, except in rough seas.
Speaking about rough sea... how were the tactics in WWII - the uboat attack in rough sea or just waith for weather to change?
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote