SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-09, 07:09 AM   #1
aussepom
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default high speed threat

Hi
I have come across this sight by accident, but I also play these types of games. how ever as part of a new novel, I have to learn more and research quite a lot to get thing as real as possible.
I saw that some one on this forum has done a computer program update to make one of these more realistic, very good, I wonder could he apply his work to this problem. if you are aware of different torpedoes and there actions it will help.

Scenario 1

Destroyer traveling at 25kts for this exercise. Heading 000

Sonar operator get a contact, high speed, bearing 270, 5280 yards. Hint no screws reported
States this to the captain time taken ?
Maybe 3 second max 4 seconds.

Next course of action ? This will have to be done in 121 to 122 seconds. or ship destroyed

Can the destroyer evade the contact ?

If it is straight running and is aimed 70yds in front of the destroyer
If it is straight running and is aimed 100yds in front of the destroyer

Second scenario is basically the same
Sub, trying to be quiet, so speed is 5kts heading 000
Sonar operator get a contact, high speed, bearing 270, 5280 yards. Hint no screws reported
States this to the captain time taken ?
Maybe 3 second max 4 seconds.
Next course of action ? This will have to be done in 121 to 122 seconds or Sub destroyed
Can the sub evade the contact, depth at 300ft max dive depth 1100feet
Assume contact can go this deep.
If it is straight running and is aimed 20yds in front of the sub
If it is straight running and is aimed 50yds in front of the sub

This is some thing that most surface and sub may have to face I would like your in put.

Myself at the moment says that neither the sub or the destroyer has a chance.
aussepom

Last edited by aussepom; 12-27-09 at 07:40 AM.
aussepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 08:36 PM   #2
aussepom
Nub

Hi it seems that I was not giving you the correct time left, the time given is not really fast.

it should read 46.9 - 3 or 4 seconds = 43.9 second max 44.9 seconds,

and so the equation changes I am sorry for that, this may create more interest, it is a threat that is now real to any ship or sub that goes up against the Russians or the Chinese
The skeptics do not see it as a real threat as it has or may have caused the destruction of several Russian subs.
in the book, I have created and it is possible that it could be done. a new slant, that would make it almost impossible to defeat, using what is available today.

So change the time left to the above .

a ship still traveling at the same speed 25kts but the aiming point would have to change, to 300yds and 150yds.
I would love the speed curves for the type 23 destroyers or even the latest ships.
this all comes to the reaction time when the contact is called to what action is then taken. and can the ship turn in time.
even with one engine put in em rev and one at full power fwd. is it enough? the rudder normally has only a 35 deg turn. I would like some comments
the ship in a straight line would have only traveled 400yards
as for the sub at 5kts only 12yds
so the aim point of 10 and 5yds.
a sub could do a dive and turn action, but the response time to do this would not be enough as I see it.

the worst case if it is only detected at 1000ydrs and this is now possible.
they would only have 8.9 seconds less the 3 to 4 seconds it took the operator to call it out.
so why then if this type of weapon is available are we bothering with all the different types. it is a tactical question for all ships and subs
aussepom
Old 01-01-10, 09:13 AM   #3
aussepom
Nub

Hi

think of this

at 10,000 yds max range for most torpedoes, it takes 400seconds

6.6 mins to cover this, and time to track it and use counter measures.

but 10,000yds in 88.8 seconds that is 1.5mins you have not much time at all.

there is a possible way that this may be able to be steered, but this is also a double whammy for any surface vessel, even the new royal navy type 45 destroyer, it would stand no chance even with its anti missile missile, or its Gatling gun. it would have less than 17seconds from first contact sighting.
aussepom