SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-10, 08:42 AM   #1
Von Hilde
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default scratchbuilt from stuff laying around the house

Von Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 12:54 PM   #2
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18

wow that's awesome, well done buddy

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 06:51 PM   #3
Von Hilde
Seaman

Default thanks,

a lot of time but it didnt cost much, sofar. I think about $30 in paint and glue. Most of the material is scrap wood cans and aluminium flashing and wires of all sorts of guage. The PH is a piece of PVC sewerpipe( had to have sewerpipe just because Im a sewerpipe sailor ) The pushrods for the dive planes are s/s bicycle spokes, as well as the prop shafts, which are housed in s/s brake lines and packed with petrolium grease and capped with 1/4" brass pipe compression fittings for packing the shaft holes to the PH. I will be posting the progress as the serious detailing begins. First I must finish sheeting the hull which has come to a slowdown, because mos of the sheets will have to be cut odd shapes , water holes cut and then the piece bent and shaped to fit. Then the entire hull will be glazed with autobody putty and sections sanded to give it the stressed metal look. The weld seams will be added last before primer. Then the fun begins
Old 09-17-10, 05:53 AM   #4
Von Hilde
Seaman

Default vents and sprey deflector added

cut out the ports for the vents and used pieces of bronze guitar strings and a scrap piece of aluminium flashing to make the vent, and a scrap piece of flashing for the shield. I hadnt decided on the particular boat when putting the tower together, but now Ive decided on using U 571 as a guide. This model is being built with underwater photography in mind so precice detailing of one particular boat, is not really formost priority as is stand off underwater visuals of the Type of boat in action is the ultimate goal.