SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Best of SUBSIM Nominations > BOSS Noms Archive
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-23, 07:49 AM   #76
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH3 + Mods
Nomination basis: Excellent support!
Forum: Silent Hunter III

Nominated Member: Kal_Maximus_U669
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Hey parkerc341 Greetings and welcome to the World's most famous SUBSIM subsimmer site..:salute::salute:
to complete what blackswan40 tells you that I salute ..:salute::Kaleun_Cheers:
Do not play a mission on the same installation as the one where you play a campaign it is better to have a single installation for the campaign and another installation for the missions otherwise you will have problems in perspective it is inevitable...
For the settings in "Order" proceed like this see screens
here install path of your game

here Carrer option

Here Meteo option (not integritie)

here the settings speak for themselves according to the titles

here install path "order"

Good editing is good fun Alex's mods are great you'll see :yep:
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-23, 08:36 PM   #77
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215
Uploads: 0

fitzcarraldo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH4 + Mods
Nomination basis: Great helpful member.
Forum: SH4 Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: propbeanie
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
I finished my second patrol (S-Class), departing from Surabaya on January 26, 1942, arriving at my new base in Brisbane on July 1, 1942.

I spent five months (!!!) in this patrol. Wonder if historically some S-Class (or any other boat in the PTO) lasted that time in only a voyage.
As KM alludes, the S-Class generally did not exceed 45 days. Some did 50, but food and fuel (and lube oil and parts and rust) were the main reasons they had to come back in. The mechanical breakdowns with them were quite often. It would be nice to have that modeled, but...

Curious is- when awarded with the Asiatic Fleet medal - the text tells "three patrols", but I did only two (first Manila-Surabaya, second Surabaya-Brisbane).
That is because the programming teams did not coordinate their work. Team A working on the counting started with number "1" (One) and neglected to get the specs off the report guys of Team B, which started their counting like a computer does at "0" (Zero), hence what appears to be bad math on their parts...

I had five patrol areas assigned during 4 months, and sunk 3 merchants (one a fishing boat) and two destroyers. Also a Betty bomber was destroyed.

My main concern is the continuos assignment of new patrol objetives, lasting four months on patrol; this seems too much for a WW2 sub, more for a S-Class.
As KM said, if you use the Status Update, and there is another valid assignment within 1500km, and you have enough fuel and ammo for the mission to be assigned, then off you go on another assignment. We have lowered the distance away from, and raised the fuel and ammo requirements for the next release...

No refueling in five months, no rearm, no provisions...
The fuel "efficiency" was something we have been working on since the start of the FotRSU project. We either end up with unrealistic fuel usage, OR (horrors) exaggerated battery re-charge time, to the point of ridiculousness. Just be sure you set your Gameplay Options in the Captain's Office prior to departure, since the main menu's Gameplay Options are different. Still, doing a 60+ day patrol is rather too easy in FotRSU in that regard. We are still tinkering on it, but have not made any progress. A rebuild of the sub config (and sim) files is probably needed.

Navigating at 6-7 knots, the fuel was enough for the five months of patrol.

No more than TCx512 in all the patrol.

Full realism, except external camera.

[6 imgs above]

Now departing from Brisbane to the Coral Sea, with the same boat.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:
Comments in orange above... :salute:
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-23, 09:30 AM   #78
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: Nice ships for our SH3 lifes.
Forum: SHIII Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: VonDos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
:Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Thumbs_Up::Kaleun_Applaud:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Excellent :yeah:

:Kaleun_Cheers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Thimme View Post
WONDERFUL, EXELLENT AND SUPERB!!!
:Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Thumbs_Up::Kaleun_Applaud:
Thank you so much!!

Best regards,
Vd
Old 10-24-23, 04:07 PM   #79
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: Many years of beautiful ships for SH3.

Quote:
Thank you everyone!

Meanwhile, talking about TB1939 Elbing class, a pre-release poster:

Best regards,
Vd
Old 10-29-23, 01:18 AM   #80
pmcmull
Bosun

Downloads: 46

pmcmull has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Nomination basis: As a recent arrival to the world of Silent Hunter 4, I quickly found Subsim as the best support location. And I have posted new newbie questions and challenges to the forums. KaleunMarco has been very helpful with answers and explanations. Just recently here I started trying the Fall of the RisingSun - Ultimate mod package. And was having a problem with the numerous air attacks. Very helpful in explaining how to avoid all the air attacks.

Now if I can just get a little deeper in the career ....

Pat in Phoenix
Forum: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific

Nominated Member: KaleunMarco
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmull View Post
Well the first part is easy enough. I've given up on the AA shooting in the career missions. Waste of time. And ammo.

JSGME list of mods. Very short. I have Nihon Kaigun and Nippon Maru downloaded and extracted but did not activate yet.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SH4FRS\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8

Pat
ok, well, neither of those mods you mention includes an a/c files so we are good to go.

download this file: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cfo....8+for+pmcmull

unzip it into your FOTRSU 1.8 MODS folder and then activate it with JSGME.

it must be activated after Ver1.8. it can go before or after the Maru mods.

have fun.
:Kaleun_Salute:

p.s. don't tell PB that i sent you a mod for his mod. he doesn't like that kind of thing.:har:
pmcmull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-23, 08:05 AM   #81
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

stork100 has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: High quality SH3 modding. Regardless of the outcome (the work is still experimental at this time), this member is pushing the limits of SH3 and related knowledge, pushing the boundaries so that future players might enjoy a higher sense of historical realism in their experience of the game. Very commendable.

Nominated Member: rik007
Nominated Post: Rik007: SH-3 Night surface attack project
Quote:

I feel I'm not 20 anymore. So I'm a slow modder and for years SH-3 didnot have my attention anymore but everything came back a year ago when I upgraded my video card...
On an average I now worked a few hours per week on this project which delivers an enabler. Basically it could be a breakthrough or a failure: who knows?
For me it is a breakthrough and I hope it will be the same for you all. I create some movies this week to explain it and some demo's.

First I explain the project itself and my experiments into night surface attacks and what I think of it:

Then an example of a night surface attack in 'Otto Kretschmer-style', unprecedented I think:

Then a sample of the wheather transition bug which is in most environment mods. The wheather will suddenly switch around 00:26:

And the version with a correct - smooth wheather transition:

Then a demo with Northern Lights and detection:

What is happening next?

If there is need for these mods: the Moon mod is about to be finished. There is no whish list. This project as-is drained my energy. If people are willing to learn how=to-hard-code-fix I might organize an online workshop.
As how to contine: I will ask some people to 'beta-test' and depending on the results further steps will follow. I have no intention to change Fifi's or OneAlex's mod so some form of working together is the idea.

I want to thank:
- Hsie for his exellent hardcode mod. If you read this: a few of your discoveries in your assembly files I re-used!
- hughesjr for his basic voice attack profile (unreachable on Steam)
- Jerry Mason and crew

Here you find the site with the u-boot journals:

https://www.uboatarchive.net/

Go to U-boat KTB for the logs.

Have fun with it.

Rik007
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-23, 01:06 PM   #82
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Mod/Modder of the Year in General
Nomination basis: Awesome and detailed work in all the produced mods. A lot of work...A well deserved award.

Nominated Member: Fifi
Quote:
For next update, i'm fixing ships textures troubles...MFM ships have plenty!
Such as those platform foot:

Before

After

Also modifying some ships 3D model details to better accuracy (to me)

Again very long work...

Old 11-10-23, 12:31 PM   #83
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

propbeanie has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Thread of the Year
Nomination basis: The continuing Hilfskreuzer sagas that CPTLTJASON relates make for interesting reading, and includes some really nice screen shots. He could probably compile some of what he writes into an historically-based fiction novel. Good stuff. Good thread.
Forum: Silent Hunter 5

Nominated Member: CPTLTJASON
Nominated Post: Hilfskreuzer
Quote:
Page dedicated to the development, voyage, etc of the fictional Hilfskreuzer “Afrika”.

propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-23, 06:36 PM   #84
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Thread of the Year
Nomination basis: Wonderful shots and a good story, using SH5 TWoS.
Forum: Silent Hunter 5

Nominated Member: CPTLTJASON
Quote:
10.7.1937 Aegean Sea 678th. day at sea

The military and political situation has continued to worsen, In the east the Marco Polo Bridge Incident has unleashed yet another war, the Second Sino-Japanese War. After 2 weeks of waiting the Skl. gives Schiff 30 permission to enter Black Sea. Due to the Montreux Convention which came into effect on 9.Nov.1936. the Skl. was trying to justify the entry of the raider into the strait they came up with a task for the merchant raider. Schiff 30 will be disguised as a German merchant ship with the task of gathering information on Spanish and Soviet merchant ships sailing for Spanish Republican ports.

Schiff 30 is forbidden from sinking ships in the Black Sea.

Schiff 30 will follow the shipping lanes up and down keeping well outside Soviet territorial waters. Kapitan zur See Hartmann intends to remain in the Black Sea for 3 weeks before returning to the Mediterranean Sea to sink more Spanish Republican merchant shipping.

Hartmann plans to enter the Black Sea no later than the 15th. of July.

Schiff 30 drifting in the Aegean Sea.
Old 11-21-23, 01:12 AM   #85
Midcon113
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Midcon113 has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Nomination basis: Solved a LONG TERM problem for me running SHIV in a multi-monitor environment! Amazing how a quick change fixes something a lot of people thought couldn't be fixed!
Forum: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific

Nominated Member: themrwho
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I also have the same problem with dual monitors.
I haven't found an answer. ...

Have you tried the workaround I posted above?
Midcon113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-23, 06:17 AM   #86
Dieselglock
Wolf of the deep

Downloads: 560

Dieselglock has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Mod/Modder of the Year in General
Nomination basis: Fifi's NYGM Enhanced. Unparalleled attention to detail, period.

Quote:
You will not recognize the MFM ships in next update :D
They look much much better the new way:

As example, here the M06X in 2 skins :ping:
All the X models (neutrals) will have no more deck gun & AA empty platform remaining…

Dieselglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-23, 04:13 PM   #87
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: NYGM FiFi Edition-Steel Coffin: Best mod/supermod/enhacement for the legendary SH3.

Quote:
Just finished the new M12B :ping:

Old 11-25-23, 04:21 PM   #88
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH4 Modder
Nomination basis: Best modder for SH4 this year alongside with Jimmimadrid. Both deserve the award.
Forum: SH4 Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: ElCid97
Quote:
Good Evening!

First off, my appologies for the length. I just figured I'd add the changelog I have so far. It covers what I'm up to in the project. I basically just do a little here and a little there when I get a chance to after getting home from work.

So far this is what I have:

CHANGELOG - As of 03-NOV-2023
=============================

1. Changed all the vessel codes to match the ONI codes used by the U.S.N. during World War II.
-- Still have to finish the listing, but it's getting there.
-- Finished the default ship listing and the FotRSU listing.
-- Still need to finish the Nipon Maru and the Nihon Kaigun listing.

2. Changed classification of some vessels to represent historical names.
-- "Fleet Carrier Saratoga Class" changed to (CV) Lexington Class
-- "Fleet Carrier Enterprise Class" changed to (CV) Yorktown Class
-- etc, etc.

3. Added "Length:" and "Asp. Ratio:" fields to the name of the ship. This gives the data to the user so that speed and AOB calculations will be much simpler to compute.
-- The ship's names now appear on the navigation map and targeting map as well, as long as they are identified and selected (All information now appears as being "written" on the maps).
-- Gives a better ability to get the AOB more accurately, which can -- in turn -- help have a better estimate of target course when combined with periscope bearing and own sub's heading.

4. Changed the grammaphone into an updated "Targeting Assistant" with various formulae and data that is useful in computing targeting manually. Also added a "sinus scale" to the grammaphone, courtesey of "Hitman" who came up with the original in his tutorial on how to target ships using 100% realism.
-- Work is taken from the "Targeting Assistant V1" work I've already done and, in essance, will replace that release. The other one can still be used independantly, just not with this release since the files in this package will replace that grammaphone.

5. Added "Hitman"'s "TSAC Scale" to the attack map so that you can find the spread angle for torpedo shots using the length of the ship and the bearing.
-- Also made the TSAC a little bigger for wide-ratio screen resolutions.
-- Requires you to download and activate Hitman's file first, then activate the "ini" file which I'll include with the "Targeting Assistant" in order to change the size/ratio in the "menu_1024_768.ini" file using the Jimimadrid MenuMerger program.

6. Updated the Recognition Manual so there is a section labeled "U.S.N. Hull Classifications".
-- Gives the user the ability to decipher the new hull codes used in the manual.
-- Example: CV=Fleet Carrier, PG=Gunboat, ATF=Fleet Tug Boat, AK=Cargo/Freighter, etc.
-- Basically a new "country" that uses fake "ships" to represent the information in what are the sillouette pages.
-- The "flag" is on an index card and it now reads, "BuC&R/BuShips -- Ship's Data: U.S. Naval Vessels"
-- Data taken from Wikipedia, but is actually the data used by the Bureau of Construction and Repair -- later Bureau of Ships -- to identify ships. Uses codes used/active during WW2.

7. Changed the "MERCHANT SHIPPING" label (flag) to an index card that reads, "ONI-209 CLASSIFICATION FOR MERCHANT SHIPPING".

8. Enlarged the manual itself by changing the scalar ratio in the "Zone" line to "1" instead of "0" as originally written.
-- Original idea given to me by Mazzi at Subsim, though I had to change his suggestion values. Thanks, Mazzi!
-- As with the Hitman overhaul of the TSAC, this is part of the lines included in the "ini" file activated with Jimimadrid's MenuMerger program.

9. Updated all ships to include those from the default listing, FotRSU 1.8, Nihon Kaigun, and Nippon Maru 1.8 (inclusive).
-- NOTE: Still need to finish the listings. Not all sections/ships complete yet. See above.

10. Created a PDF file with all the information in the "U.S.N. Hull Classifications" listing for the manual so that users can print out a hard-copy if they choose.
-- Same information in the Recognition Manual, but in a "printer-friendly" version which is just text and won't "kill" your ink supply (other than black, at least).

11. Changed the radio from the strategic map over to something that contains various data elements to help in identifying ships. Charts there were taken from a PDF version of an original ONI-223-M manual and cobbled together as best I could figure while still maintaining readable fonts and pictures of the originals.
-- I can't remember where I got the ONI-223-M manual from. May have been from the Navy's Historical Command database, but can't remember.
-- There is other data and other manuals I got from the Ibiblio.org website (hyperwar) as well as from the USS Pampanito website (maritime.org). Thanks to all for making all this data available to us.

12. Added a chart to the radio that allows a generic estimation of tonnage of an observed vessel. According to the ONI-223-M manual, this should be good enough for about 80% of all merchant vessels in service at the time.
-- I tested it against some of the ships in-game, and it seems to work fairly well in estimating the tonnage. Most I was off was 1,000 tons or so.
-- I may delete this since it takes up a good chunk of the space and the "tonnage" is already in the manual itself when you get to the ship. I just figure this would be good enough for estimating the tonnage from reading the "name" written on the navigation map if identifying with the weapons officer (yes, FotRSU has a button for that).

13. Changed the "Cooler" ships to reflect what it should have said to begin with -- "Coaler". These were coal-transports known in USN parlance as, "Colliers" instead. Hull Code: AC.
-- Curiosity Note: The two most famous colliers/coalers were the "U.S.S. Jupiter" and the "U.S.S. Cyclops". The "Cyclops" was lost at sea between Trinidad and NYC, and is the first of the famous "Bermuda Triangle" losses. The "Jupiter" was renamed "Langley" and became the first aircraft carrier in the U.S. Navy.
-- Some, not all, colliers/coalers were used as "bulk fuel/oil" carriers. What this means is that the holds were filled with palletized 55-gallon drums of diesel or gasoline and transported like regular cargo. Probably not the best idea, but a similar thing was done with whale factory ships.

14. Repositioned the flags in the actual pages of the manual. These are the ones that are at the top-left of the manual when you actually go to a ship's page. The original setting had the flag covering the "ONI 41-42" tag at the top left.
-- The flags are now placed just below the title and centered vertically between the "ONI 41-42" tag and the sillouette of the ship below.

15. Thanks to Daniel Coffey and his work on the sillouette info way back when. It made things MUCH easier to do when making the changes for the manual.

16. Figured out how to add the great plastic cover image used in Dark Waters for the navigational map into the map for the US fleetboats and S-Boats.
-- Need to find who I need to ask permissions from in order to release, however. All credits have to go to whomever put that thing together, otherwise it's just for my own use. Sorry.
-- Mainly wanted it as an optional thing for the S-Boats and early fleet boats (Narwhal, Cachalot, etc.) that have the condensation dropplets all over the place when you're submerged. I just thought it would be a nice touch to the map since it would make sense to have.

17. Managed to create monochrome versions of ALL the flags for the manual cover. It now looks like you have a bunch of index cards with either printed monochrome flags for the countries involved, or it has something typed to signify what is being covered in the sub-pages.
-- This is the same index card used for the written labels I've mentioned already, but with a monochrome flag instead of writing.
-- Uses only naval ensigns and not the national flags as before.
-- In the case of France, the ensign is the one with the different width ratios for the vertical stripes. This means it's accurate when compared to the French national flag which is equal-ratio.

As for some screenshots, this is from earlier in the week.

New page for the fake country I made to accomodate the hull classification system:

This is the new "MERCHANT SHIPPING" page I mentioned above:

And an example of a finished section in final format. Here's the "Conte Verde" ocean liner that was requisitioned by the Japanese at the beginning of the war:

Here are some of the flags. U.S. and Japan in this case:

Unfortunately they lose some quality when shrunk down to fit (128x64 isn't really that big), but they can still be used and don't look too bad.

As you can see by the shots (and the comments above), I've managed to add the plastic cover from Dark Waters to the navigation map. If anyone knows who I would need to PM or contact for permission to release with this as part of the mod, please let me know. Otherwise I won't include it.

The plan is to spend the next few days working on the coding for the "Nipon Maru" ships. I have the entire ONI-208-J from the Pampanito website downloaded. I've made a few images as "test" subjects. If I can figure out how to actually add another "page/group" to the HUD (and the menu "ini" file as well), then I can add a whole new "book" for the sim.

Here are some shots of what I have so far. WIP, no doubt, but still not too bad:

This is an example of how you could have a page for a ship, in this case the "Conte Verde" with the sillouette from the game cropped to "1-pixel=1 foot" and marked with dimensions where I thought would be the easiest things to see through the scope or the TBT:

I don't know if there would be an interest in this, but it would definately be a challenge for a V2.

At the very least, I could work on it AFTER the manual updates and make it into a PDF file that could be uploaded in various chapters. That way, even if I couldn't program another button or "page" for this, I could at least get the work out there if there was any interest.

Hope everyone enjoys their Friday!

Regards,

ElCid97
Old 12-02-23, 04:19 PM   #89
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: More nice ships for our SH3

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Today i'm releasing the revised (2023) version of Hipper class cruisers, with new textures from flush deck, added static shadow effects and revised UVMap:

D\L link: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6065

Best regards,
Vd
Old 12-07-23, 11:32 AM   #90
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: Great mod with day-to-day support and enhancement.

Quote:
M17B finished in 2 skins