Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Ironclads
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-22, 10:43 AM   #1
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Icon14 "Clad In Iron" series

I bought the entire, "Clad In Iron" bundle yesterday on Steam, I now have all the titles.

This morning, I played for about three hours. I'm new to the series, never played before. So I started with, "Clad In Iron: Philippines 1898".

I sent three cruisers from Subic Bay to blockade Isabela on my first turn. Went right to tactical phase when I ended the turn.

With Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Boston, I met the Spanish squadron from Isabela.

I kept the game on normal speed and enjoyed a long naval battle in which I sunk the Spanish squadron leader's cruiser, Lepardo, as well as one of their smaller ships, and so heavily damaged all others that they retreated.

I had a great time watching and controlling my ships through the battle. I suffered no losses and just some light damage among my three ships. I'm looking forward to playing all the titles in the complete, "Clad In Iron" bundle that I bought.

I see that "Iron Clads 3" is in the works, and I'll be looking forward to buying that as soon as it's released.

If you like strategy and Surface Warfare, you should definitely take a look at these titles. Having played for a few hours, I can say that I absolutely love these games! These titles are really something special.

Highly recommended!

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 11:40 AM   #2
Maxim
Totem Games

Downloads: 0

Thank You!
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-22, 12:31 PM   #3
Oubaas
中国水兵

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Thank You!

My pleasure, Maxim! And thank you to your entire team at Totem Games for creating these titles.

I'm retired U. S. Navy, and have a love of naval history. Your titles are just the sort of thing that I love.

I'm looking forward to Ironclads 3. That will be a first day purchase for me.

Old 04-20-22, 07:15 AM   #4
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Thanks Oubaas, I’ve had my eye on this for some time, you convinced to take another look. The history looks fascinating. AI challenging? I confess I’ve never been a fan of RTS games, with the exception the “Scourge of War” wargames.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 02:16 PM   #5
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox165 View Post
Thanks Oubaas, I’ve had my eye on this for some time, you convinced to take another look. The history looks fascinating. AI challenging? I confess I’ve never been a fan of RTS games, with the exception the “Scourge of War” wargames.

I'd say that the AI is well balanced. You want to choose carefully when composing your battle group in strategic phase, before you click, "End Turn" and go to tactical phase.

The Spanish squadron had two cruisers along with a few other, smaller vessels, including a destroyer. I blockaded the port of Isabela with three cruisers. When they came out to get us, I targeted each of my vessels on the nearest and most threatening ships, then maneuvered so as to present the least target, while attempting to cut individual ships out of the squadron for closer targeting.

We wreaked havoc on them, though they inflicted some light damage on us as well. But if I had not chosen a powerful group and then used tactics to my best advantage, they probably would have defeated us.

I wouldn't want things any more difficult, but neither would I want them easier. As things are, you get a nice feeling of satisfaction when you defeat an enemy surface group in battle. You don't feel like it was too easy. It feels about right.

The battles last a while, and it's fun to watch things play out as you set speeds, navigate, and assign targets. I find the whole thing to be a lot of fun, and I'm eagerly anticipating Ironclads 3. But that will probably still be a while until release, and in the meantime I'm very happy with the, "Clad In Iron" bundle. There's lots of good stuff in that bundle, for a good price.

Old 04-20-22, 03:04 PM   #6
Maxim
Totem Games

I'd like to add that the AI doesn't quite play out in this scenario as the US has a clear advantage in firepower and capital ships. In Clad in Iron: Manila Bay 1898, Spain is not in such a desperate situation, although the colonial BB Olympia is very good.

The largest battles between the ironclad warships of Japan and Russia in the Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904 scenario.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 05:50 PM   #7
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Sounds. great. Thank you both for a very thorough answers. This is a period of naval I know very little about, but I would like to know more. These games seem like a good way to explore this period . -Plan to get.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-22, 05:52 PM   #8
Oubaas
中国水兵

Icon10

Yes, things seem to heat right up fast in, "Sakhalin 1904" if you want a good challenge!

Old 04-24-22, 09:26 AM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Able to run the Battle of Tsushima ?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-22, 10:39 AM   #10
Maxim
Totem Games