SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-11, 02:41 PM   #16
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Well like I said it's all assuming peak currents and beefy components. Gaming is just rather stressfull on a PC: the card is likely running full tilt, the CPU has a constant, hefty task and there's a lot of RAM in use, with frequent operations to fetch contents. And the motherboard is working hard to keep al that stuff communicating and playing nice. There's not a lot of types of applications that tax a system quite so thoroughly, so at least where gaming is concerned I'm a strong supporter of the "plenty power" aproach.

I can't gaurantee that it'll work or not, chances are that if it ran on 160W, moving to 300 and plugging in that card will see it continue to run happily. If you however at any point are faced with seemingly random CTD or BSOD problems, or failures to boot, the PSU would be my first suspect.

About the overheating: I've had such trouble with a number of console ports. My 8800 would overheat not far above 80C, but it always seemed to be the memory (not artifacting, but simply corrupted image, shortly followed by a lockup). My guess is it's because of texture streaming: it's a technigue where the higher detail mip levels of textures are not pre-cached in VRAM, meaning that when the player aproaches an object and the game tries to load a more detailed texture for it, it would need to come from the disc (likely regular RAM in a PC, consoles don't have the luxury of plenty of memory to work with). This means a lot of work for VRAM, thus more heat and thus more likely to overheat. A lot of cards have a cooling solution that's really only effective in transfering heat away from the actual GPU, not so much the memory chips.

I fixed it by making the fan on the 8800 more aggressive (custom profile made in Rivatuner), and lowering quality settings for the game, particularly texture detail. Think shadows take up a good chunk of rendering work and VRAM as well.

Can't say for sure it's what's plaguing you LS, but it might be something to try.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 02:59 PM   #17
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I can't gaurantee that it'll work or not, chances are that if it ran on 160W, moving to 300 and plugging in that card will see it continue to run happily. If you however at any point are faced with seemingly random CTD or BSOD problems, or failures to boot, the PSU would be my first suspect.
Yeah, I'll be keeping a close eye on things if/when I get the parts together. Thanks for the input. Okay, now I'll stop
Old 04-09-11, 11:03 AM   #18
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Aliens V Predator 3 dont worry, the game is to short and there is nothing to do once your finished up all the 3 campaigns apart from multiplayer which is pretty much dummed down compared to AVP 2 multiplayer was a blast to play. Never had a heating problem playing this game and I know when my card - 9800GT is working overtime the fans start revving up becomes quite loud that it sounds like a jet engine. Only games that make the card work overtime is Silent Hunter 5 & Crysis atm.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 11:05 AM   #19
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

This thread is going down big time.

Anyway, the problem is solved. I installed nvidia tools and made a new profile so the fan now goes faster at a lower temperature than before.
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote