SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-10, 01:42 AM   #1
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default New computer - thoughts?

My daughter is nagging me for a computer, so I'm thinking of giving her my current four year old one and buying a new one. I'm looking at the following config:
  • Intel I7-860 CPU
  • GA-P55A-UD4/P55chipset with USB3 & SATA3
  • 4GB DDR3/1600 XMP Kit/Kingston
  • 1GB DDR5 ATI HD5870/Sapphire
  • 2X 1.5TB SATA2/64M Cache/7200 Western Digital HDD
  • SATA Pioneer DL DVD+/-R/RW/DVR-218LBK
  • Antec True power 850w PSU W/ Cable manager
  • Coolermaster 590 case
  • 24” Samsung 2443BW+ LCD w/ Height adjustment
  • MS WIN7 Ultimate OEM
I'm not going for top of the line - just a good gaming machine that should last me another four or so years.

I'm not a hardware guru, so any thoughts on config welcome.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 04:40 AM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Sounds good to me , the LCD monitor is the same one I have, very pleased!!
If your interested my case is a Zalman GS1000:
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=310
That's very nice, my video card is a HIS HD 4850, runs too hot for my liking (55C) even with IceQ setup, still pleased overall with it, am saving for the one you have listed, if you get it I would like to know how it goes! can't comment on the CPU, my last 3 have been AMD.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 05:40 PM   #3
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Maybe get a triple-channel memory kit.

Doesn't offer that much improvement, but i7 gives the option so it's something to consider.

Apart from that, picture perfect.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 07:07 PM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Not going for the top of the line.... Getting darn near it! Should be a splendid machine and you the envy of the neighborhood! Enjoy!
Old 02-21-10, 08:10 PM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Not going for the top of the line.... Getting darn near it! Should be a splendid machine and you the envy of the neighborhood! Enjoy!
Yeh I thought he was being a bit smarty pantsy!!

Old 02-22-10, 01:59 AM   #6
Submarine
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0

If you don't mind having quite a bit less space, you could get a solid slate hard drive. They are mega fast and can help boost your performance quite a bit. Very good for gaming
Old 02-22-10, 04:11 AM   #7
JScones
Navy Seal

Thanks guys.

I've decided to change the case to an Antec Ninehundred - has more cooling fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Yeh I thought he was being a bit smarty pantsy!!
Not at all. After some research the bits I quoted just seemed to be the best within my price point, which is far from "mega serious".
Old 02-22-10, 04:49 AM   #8
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Thanks guys.

I've decided to change the case to an Antec Ninehundred - has more cooling fans.

Not at all. After some research the bits I quoted just seemed to be the best within my price point, which is far from "mega serious".
Just pulling your leg Jaesen!! The Nine Hundred is good, did you check the one I pointed out, you have to wait awhile for the page to fully load!

Old 02-22-10, 07:38 AM   #9
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
I ask this only because it relates to the bottom line - and most of us can stand to save some cash.

Is this a game machine only, or will it be doing other tasks, such as media editting, compiling code, etc?

if its JUST a game machine, you can get more bang for the buck going with a Phenom II quad core. The performance in gaming is nearly eaqual to the I7's at a significantly lower cost.

However, the I7 blows the AMD chips away for pretty much all video and other use work. *Check tomshardware.com for some good testing data*

So if this is gaming only, save the cash and swap to a AMD supporting MB with Phenom 2 - but if its going to be doing all the other stuff - you nailed the machined to have!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 09:29 AM   #10
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I would same the same as well for the processor. The AMD are super processors and are less costly. I run the Phenom 9850 x4. Great processor and can overclock all day long if you want. I find I do not have to at all. But, whatever you decide the rig will be excellent and if you are replacing a 4-6 year old rig the difference between the two will be night and day. I truly love my rig:

AMD Phemon 9850 X4
8 gig DDR2 RAM
EVGA 9800GT vid card
Forget the hard drive. Just a regular drive.
Usual CD ROM and DVD ROM players.
Vista 64 as the OS

I do recommend 64 bit for you Window 7 OS. At any rate, your machine will be considerably faster than mine and I consider mine lighting fast. Internet browsing is amazing. The page loads so fast sometimes I sit there for a second wondering what happened only realizing the machine has completed the task quickly. Plus, multiply cores are just a great idea. I play games while multiple other applications are open doing their thing. The machine does not even burp. As for the additional RAM, the old days my hard drive would act like virtual memory when playing games. This slowed things and was a pain. Not anymore with 8 gigs. My drive loads the game and sits silent as I play. Furthermore, the days of looking at a game to see if your rig can play it are over. You simply pay, load, push all the buttons to full in the option screen and play.
Old 02-23-10, 02:27 AM   #11
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Is this a game machine only, or will it be doing other tasks, such as media editting, compiling code, etc?
Thanks. Games will be part. I do a lot of hi-res music recording and mastering (1GB+ files), so it's really a multipurpose computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I do recommend 64 bit for you Window 7 OS. At any rate, your machine will be considerably faster than mine and I consider mine lighting fast. Internet browsing is amazing. The page loads so fast sometimes I sit there for a second wondering what happened only realizing the machine has completed the task quickly. Plus, multiply cores are just a great idea. I play games while multiple other applications are open doing their thing. The machine does not even burp. As for the additional RAM, the old days my hard drive would act like virtual memory when playing games. This slowed things and was a pain. Not anymore with 8 gigs. My drive loads the game and sits silent as I play. Furthermore, the days of looking at a game to see if your rig can play it are over. You simply pay, load, push all the buttons to full in the option screen and play.
Because 1GB+ file manipulation is my main use (well, apart from creating Word documents, email and cutting code), I've gone with the 32-bit version...at least for now.

I've also gone with Win7 Pro (upon recommendation). The Ultimate seems to be overkill for my needs, but the Pro includes the XP emulator, which I think I may need at some point.

And the guy building it for me will be modestly overclocking it.

Might have it ready by Friday night...hope so...
Old 02-23-10, 05:49 AM   #12
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
The Nine Hundred is good, did you check the one I pointed out, you have to wait awhile for the page to fully load!
Got too impatient waiting for it to load, lol!
Old 02-23-10, 08:47 AM   #13
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

You might ask the fella building it for you if he would recommend 64 bit for the OS. Personally, I would never go back to 32 bit. Also, the 64 bit OS recognizes those applications that need 32 bit to run and those that can utilize the power of 64 bit. Best of both worlds. I have no problems getting drivers for the 64 bit system either. Just something to ponder.
Old 02-23-10, 09:28 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I definitely want an update on this when you get it. I haven't had my "new" computer a year and people are already saying it's obsolete I managed to squeeze 6+ years out of my last one.
Old 02-23-10, 09:43 AM   #15
martes86
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 18

Unless you use a 64 bit OS, you will only have 3GB of usable RAM, everything else, will be inaccessible by the OS.

Cheers
martes86 is offline   Reply With Quote