SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-22, 12:16 PM   #31
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Health Secretary Sajid Javid quits the government, telling Boris Johnson he can "no longer, in good conscience, continue serving in this government"

He writes in his resignation letter that the prime minister has "lost my confidence"

Boris Johnson says it was "a mistake" to make Chris Pincher deputy chief whip given complaints about his conduct.

The PM says "with hindsight it is the wrong thing to do and I apologise to everyone who has been badly affected by it"

Pincher was suspended as a Tory MP last week after being accused of groping two men at a private members club while drunk.

The incident - and many subsequent allegations - have put pressure on Johnson to explain what he knew about Pincher's past when he appointed him.

Lord McDonald, the former top civil servant in the Foreign Office, has accused No 10 of not telling the truth.

Labour's deputy leader Angela Rayner says "this constant charade just will not wash"

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 12:26 PM   #32
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

NEXT!

Could the house of cards be toppling?

Rishi Sunak has just resigned from the cabinet.

In his letter he says "the public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously".

He adds: "I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning".

Sunak says "our country is facing immense challenges".

"I publicly believe the public are ready to hear that truth. Our people know that if something is too good to be true then it's not true. They need to know that whilst there is a path to a better future, it is not an easy one.

"In preparation for our proposed joint speech on the economy next week, it has become clear to me that our approaches are fundamentally too different."

"I am sad to be leaving government but I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that we cannot continue like this", he adds.

Old 07-05-22, 01:29 PM   #33
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

It won't be long before the Tories self-implode and Bozo has been the root cause of it, any cabinet minister flying their flag on Bozo's flagpole won't be on the front bench much longer either, I can see Mad Nad aka (Nadine Dorries) holding on to Boris's flagpole until the very end, misplaced loyalty has always been Nad's downfall.

@Catfish, the UK has left the EU so why on earth are you bringing Brexit up once again, goodness me you Germans didn't keep moaning when things were tough in the old days, no, they usually gave their military some hardware and told them to give their protagonists a bleeding slap.

Get some politicians with some backbone and put Germany back on the map again, if you start kicking those frogs heads in again I might even buy you a LEOPARD 2 A7 + for Christmas.
Old 07-05-22, 03:34 PM   #34
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Das war's.

Prick him with a fork, he's done.
Old 07-06-22, 02:27 AM   #35
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
[...]
@Catfish, the UK has left the EU so why on earth are you bringing Brexit up once again,
The referendum of the UK unity had explicitly claimed that the whole UK would remain in the EU, which was a guarantee and one of the main reasons Scotland voted for remaining in the UK and against scottish independence.

"In 2016, the UK voted, by 51.89% to 48.11% to leave the EU.
Scotland, on the other hand, voted 62% to 38% to remain.
Scotland, the SNP and others argued, was being “dragged out” of Europe against its will.
The links between Europe and Scotland have always seemed strong, and the attitude towards the EU, especially the political attitudes, more positive. The SNP has always argued that Brexit represents significant constitutional change for the UK, and is therefore a reason to hold another referendum."

You know what happened next.

But do not fear, even a new referendum will most probably not bring Scotland to leave the UK even now
Quote:
Get some politicians with some backbone and put Germany back on the map again,
I wonder who's people are more disgusted of their respective head of state in the moment, England or Germany
Just of all the greens Habeck and Baerbock seem to have some faint knowledge of what they are doing, but they still have to put out the fires that stem back from the 1990ies, and deal with the crash of some recent gas treaties with an.. unfriendly nation.
Quote:
if you start kicking those frogs heads in again I might even buy you a LEOPARD 2 A7 + for Christmas.
Promised? I'm so excited
But on second thought better working together with France, no one can afford an invasion with those fuel prices..

And before i am accused of being a "natzi"[sic!] again by August or whoever, this was meant as a joke even if i did not put 27 smilies behind it

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-06-22 at 02:36 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 07:19 AM   #36
Skybird
Soaring

You know how majority votes work, Catfish. Scotland was and still is part of the UK and thus it's counts was added to the general count. That side of the count lost. Period. Scotland is in the same boat together with the others.

Say, a given city voted against Brexit 57 to 43. This now is not subject to Brexit...? The minority that lost a vote is not subject to the vote's outcome?

As long as Scotland is part of the UK, it is subject to any such voting result that is held across all parts of the UK. Referendum, whatever.

This is becoming repetitive, Catfish. Let it be, you have an undefendable cause there. The minority that lost a vote has no claim to make that it should be treated as if it had won it. A referendum on indepedence and a referendum on Brexit were and are two totally different things technically isolated from each other.

And as a German you and me should be happy that Scotland is not yet in the EU. Our economy is fundamentally degenerating, if you have not noticed it, and the counterfeit currency system we call Euro is exploding in slow motion right into our faces. The last thing we need is ever more hungry mouths at the table that demand to be fed at our expenses. We have very big, deep worries ourselves already, and they are existentially threatening. Nothing against the Scots, but they would not be of help, are net takers , not net donators.
-------------
And Habeck, he is a blender, a brilliantly talking "Menschenfänger". But he has no real clue, nor has anyone else in this carricature of an administration filled with incompetent "Quotenweibchen" and attention-craving "Alphabubis". Last May - three months after the beginning of the war ! - Habeck did not mind that germany burnt more of its precious gas for creating electrical power than in any May before since WW2 - record!. And for pure ideological reasons him and the Greens still completely reject any tlak on nculear power and extending the timne for the last three ones. The Greens want ecology only second anyway, they always more were about destroying the burgoise society and replacing it with something far more left-leaning and anti-German. And it is like this since they started as the GAL in West-Berlin. The whole energy revolution they intend to enforce ignores hard facts from reality, economic possbilities and worse: the impossibilities, what is not according to their textbook is completely ignored by them.

Its not just the war and inflation. Even without these we would hit the wall that we currently fall towards at maximum velocity. Have you recently tried to buy heaters? Coal, firewood, petroleum? I know how the martket looked last years, since I bought then. And I know how it looks right now. The supply is down by felt and perceived 90% or more. Refined petroleum of highest cleaning grade 5 (odour-free, that means), is practically impossible to get at Amazon or ebay and three distributors I checked. The stuff you still get, stinks. Delivery times: 2 weeks says the one, several weeks says the other, minimum 2 months said the third.

Kazachstan's oil does not get transported by Russia anymore, news opf this morning. Putin strikes at both Kazachstan (which did not follow Putin into the war, and objects to it), and Europe. After the gas gets shut down, now Russian oil exports will be reduced and finally ended. At the same time it gets reportet that Habeck lied about how much dependencies have been cut already, both gas and oil. They are still significantly higher than he claimed.

It will become a very non-nice winter. Cold, and very ruinous. Extremely ruinous.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-06-22 at 07:42 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 07:40 AM   #37
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ this may all be or not, but what Scotland or at least a good part of it feels is that their were betrayed with the UK by leaving the EU, fuelling the new indyref debates.
During the indyref1 a poll revealed that "retention of the pound sterling was the deciding factor for those who voted No, while "disaffection with Westminster politics" was the deciding factor for those who voted Yes"
I do not think that the satisfaction with Westminster has risen much since then.

Of course if Scotland would apply for a EU membership, Spain could block that amid fears of repercussions with separatist movements in Catalonia and the Basque Country.
But I do no think that it will happen anyway, one reason being Johnson will simply not agree to a new referendum.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 08:02 AM   #38
Skybird
Soaring

Quote of the day :

"The sinking ship flees the rat." (some Labour pawn whose name I dont care to remember).

Old 07-06-22, 09:49 AM   #39
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Quote of the day :

"The sinking ship flees the rat." (some Labour pawn whose name I dont care to remember).

Keir Starmer, leader of the opposition Labour Party

Old 07-06-22, 09:55 AM   #40
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-06-22, 10:14 AM   #41
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Michael Gove, a senior member of the cabinet, tells Boris Johnson to step down as the number of ministers resigning grows.

At least 31 ministers and aides have now quit the government, including Sajid Javid and Rishi Sunak who resigned yesterday.

Javid, who stepped down as health secretary, told MPs at lunchtime that "treading the tightrope between loyalty and integrity" had become impossible.

Boris Johnson has insisted he won't leave No 10. He is answering questions from senior backbench MPs at the Liaison Committee now.

There are calls for the rules of the 1922 Committee of Conservative MPs to be changed to allow another confidence vote in the PM

MPs are angry at Johnson's handling of sexual misconduct claims against former deputy chief whip Chris Pincher - and what he said about what he kn

Old 07-06-22, 10:26 AM   #42
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Who has gone, who is staying?

Resigned

Cabinet

Chancellor Rishi Sunak
Health Secretary Sajid Javid

Ministers

Will Quince, education minister
Alex Chalk, solicitor general
Robin Walker, education minister
John Glen, Treasury minister
Victoria Atkins, justice minister
Jo Churchill, environment minister
Stuart Andrew, housing minister
Kemi Badenoch, levelling up minister
Neil O'Brien, levelling up minister
Alex Burghart, education minister
Lee Rowley, business minister
Julia Lopez, culture minister
Mims Davies, work and pensions minister
Rachel Maclean, Home Office minister
Mike Freer, equalities minister

Parliamentary private secretaries

Jonathan Gullis, Northern Ireland Office
Saqib Bhatti, Department of Health and Social Care
Nicola Richards, Department of Transport
Virginia Crosbie, Welsh Office
Laura Trott, Department of Transport
Felicity Buchan, Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Selaine Saxby, Treasury
Claire Coutinho, Treasury
David Johnston, Department of Education
Duncan Baker, Department for Levelling Up
Craig Williams, Treasury
Mark Logan, Northern Ireland Office

Others

Bim Afolami, vice-chairman of the Conservative Party for youth
Andrew Murrison, trade envoy to Morocco
Theodora Clarke, trade envoy to Kenya

Still undeclared

Attorney General Suella Braverman
Welsh Secretary Simon Hart
Cabinet Office Minister Michael Ellis
Home Office Minister Kit Malthouse
Cabinet Office Minister Nigel Adams
Leader of the House of Lords Baroness Evans

Intentions clear: staying in the cabinet

New Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi
New Health Secretary Steve Barclay
New Education Secretary Michelle Donelan
Deputy PM and Justice Secretary Dominic Raab
Home Secretary Priti Patel
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace
Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss
Scotland Secretary Alister Jack
Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis
Environment Secretary George Eustice
Leader of the House Mark Spencer
Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries
Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey
Levelling Up Secretary Michael Gove
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps
Brexit opportunities minister Jacob Rees-Mogg
Chief Whip Chris Heaton-Harris
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Simon Clarke
International Trade Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan

Old 07-06-22, 10:29 AM   #43
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-06-22, 10:34 AM   #44
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Now I wonder why are he hanging on to the bar when other politicians in this case Prime Ministers with common sense would see where the wind is blowing and resign.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 11:09 AM   #45
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

BREAKING: Nadhim Zahawi, who only yesterday accepted the role of chancellor after Rishi Sunak resigned, is among the delegation that is set to tell Boris Johnson to resign, the BBC understands.