SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-22, 07:59 AM   #61
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I tried the new headset on TT Isle of Man yesterday, haven't played it for some weeks before. The game has no included VR, so I have to accept the compromise to have in running in 2D on a stereoscopic 3D moviescreen in a virtual cinema. The huge size and the much higher resolution make a shocking difference again, I did this setup in the Rift's set before, and struggled with driving because I did not see enough detail, now I do, and more, and not only is it a piece of beauty laid out before the eyes, but it makes a huge difference for being able to anticipate track details ahead and not slamming into them as before.

Its a an exquisite, super-speedy adrenaline rush!

Steering via an xbox gamepad.

I have not suffered too many setbacks from moving to the new headset, the only game that I cannto reaosnably play in it, is ACC, it simply is too badly optimised for VR (blurry, no mmatter), and is too demanding on the hardware when testing normal race situaitons, it stutters a bit too often. All the rest works well with the imporioved resolution. My fear that I also had to buy a new gfx board just for this headset, was unfounded.
Old 02-26-22, 11:21 AM   #62
Skybird
Soaring

8000 coins, plus 1000 coins yearly subscription.

Old 05-29-22, 04:39 PM   #63
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

You who have experience in VR what is your comment about this project

Quote:
One of the main features of SitWalk is its unparalleled compatibility with major platforms - Steam VR. VR games on the Steam platform that can use virtual buttons to move freely are automatically adapted. What’s more, SitWalk is fully compatible with all major VR Headsets, such as HTC VIVE, Valve Index, and Oculus Cosmos. It’s the perfect solution for VR gaming & entertainment!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nd-comfort-way

I hope it will be a success for those who are developing it.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 07:35 PM   #64
Skybird
Soaring

Interesting, but the experience of movement must be extremely counterintuitive due to the exotic motion control. I would be more interested in something like this (if I Had tbe free space) :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tpage-footer-1
Old 05-30-22, 03:37 AM   #65
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

This Varjo VR: 8000 bucks, and 1000 "subscription"? Thanks but no thanks.
Maybe it will get a bit cheaper in the next years?

So you can plug an X-Box gamepad into a PC andd it works? Was new to me.

Maybe i aksed before, i take it e.g. for A. corsa you'd better use a USB-steering wheel and some clutch/break/accelerator "footset".
Which products would you advise.. i am in the process to build a new PC to replace my 11-year-old one, and some periphery

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 05:34 AM   #66
Skybird
Soaring

That depends on your budget, so as long as oyu gave no number, I only give two general tips:

1. Wheel rims and button boxes are for immersion only, they do not make you faster. Wheelbases vary in quality of FF (output power, subtelty of feedback).

2. But good pedals, and here especially a good brake pedal, preferrably with a so-called load-cell, WILL make you faster. Becasue you do not mess up your breaking as easily as with a soft sprinbg pedal where you nconstantly break too much and lock wheels.

Thats why I always would recommend the best Fanatec pedal they have, although there are cheaper ones by Fanatec, the Club Sport Pedal version 3.

There are top class pedals by other manufacturerds that cost even more and are eve nmore robust and solid, but I do not know them, and they are meant for fixed installation in cabion simulators, else they would move too easily.

Here are some complete packages by Fanatec, at - for Fanatec - reasonable pricing. My CSL Elite wheelbase is no longer produced, they only have DD bases now. Even the smallest of them should give the user a signficantly stronger and subtle reaciton what even the best belt-drive.

https://fanatec.com/eu-de/komplettpakete/

[edit: sorry, all but one are sold out, the say]

And in this thread
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=250766
you can see that I am obviously very happy with the two wheelrims I use. The GT3 rim is very fairly priced (200 coins) and offers incredible bang for the buck. The R300+Universal Hub is much heavier - but the wheelbase can easily handle it as well, I was surprised.

P.S. You said Assetto Corsa, which I know well. I recommend you also Competizione, which does thoise things that it does better than anyone else, and Raceroom. Even Wreckfest (it has reasonably believable physics, do not be misled by the name), and Dirt Rally 2.

If you ever plan to go VR (recommended for sim racing, its what VR was meant for), plan to have some system reserves. When I had to replace my VR set last winter, and updated from Rift to G2, I was worried about my graphics board (GTX1080), since the pixel load is several factors higher. To my surprise and relief the system had those reserves when I build it 2017, that so far were not used, but now there is good use, and the migration to a new VR headset went smoother than I feared. Indeed I am extremely happy with the new set. The difference is stellar, the image quality is superb. Got it with two handles for 500 coins.

Really, if you go for a new system plan for VR. Google Earth/Streetview in VR alone is worth it. I myself would even pay monthly subscription for it, serious. I have done a hilarious ammoujnt of world travelling, and I am very thankful for this software, absolutely. Its magic. The Streetwalk videos I linked to some weeks ago, in a VR movie cinema are magic as well. Unbelievable how you get sucked in.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-30-22 at 06:16 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 08:42 AM   #67
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

This is good advice

The McLaren GT3 seems to be the best, also of course for the price.
The club sport pedals .. hmm
Will first look for a new system, but ask for this and a proposal i already have, in the appropriate PC Hardware thread.
Unfortunately prices are a bit high now and i do not expect them to come back ..
Thank you

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 10:40 AM   #68
Skybird
Soaring

Be my guest...

I understand your hesitation, since I worked my way upwards on the price ladder myself and was not always able nor eager to afford what now I could afford and would not drive without anymore, and 20 years back it also was not available. I had a MS Sidewinder FFB Wheel, and then a Thrustmaster Ferrari something wheel, and they had limited 270 and 450° rotation (in total) only and cheap duo-pedals, I next got a Logitech G27, which probably was the best bang-for-the-buck complete package with wheel, triple pedals and shifter and indeed I liked it a lot but everything, from springs to FFB, was just too soft, and finally I got the Fanatec stuff. Everytime I climbed up on the price ladder, but every time I also found the additional spending worth it. I could not imagine to have spend almost 1000 coins on such stuff ten years ago, today I see that there is justification in it: quality, that is, but quality of course does not mean it is affordable for everone.

If somebody has a limit of say 1000 for everything racing related , but does not often drive at all, I even would recommend to not go for this expensive Fanatec stuff, instead get some complete wheel-pedals pack (G29 or so) for not more 500 - and spend the other 500 on the G2 VR set. VR makes all the difference, it opens the gate into another level of racing, no screen and no triple screen can get even close to it. Its a game changer.

One last tip, on the shifter. Its not essential, but especially in AC, it adds to immersion. But only if it is a real good shifter, no light plastic toy thing. Setting my Fanatec shifter both to very hard or to very soft has something satisfactory in it if you throw in the next gear with harsh force and thin lips - or with just a casual, elegant swing in your handwrist, and AC strongly interacts the shifter with the clutch pedal, you can ruin your gearbox quite quickly if you do not do it right. It has something very satisfactory in it, but I admit: I mostly do not use the shifter even in older cars that had one. So, shifter probably is the last item on your driver's list, if you find the money laying on the pavement... If you go for it, go with a real good one - or dont bother to even start looking for one. Its all in, or all out.

The G2 VR has excellent resolution. No screendoor effect. The tracking cameras are in the headset, which means it is not the best solution if you plan to play things where very fast but accurate handmovement is key (table tennis for example depends desperately on precision here), then a set with external cameras might be better suited for this more general approach, but if cockpit things are your thing where you stay seated or where you move hands and legs more relaxed and do not focus on utmost precise and superfast hand movements like for table tennis, then the G2 is possibly currently the best deal possible. The Steam hardware has excellent tracking, but it costs a very lot more. The Pimax masks on paper have even more resolution, but they have other disadvantages, and depend on top GFX boards. Now look at the costs for top GFX boards, and start crying.

I got mine not at Amazon, but Mediamarkt, they beat the Amazon price by 150 bucks back then. Handpieces cannot be bought separately, so before buying the even cheaper only-helmet offer, think twice. You cannot ugrade later. Its a stupid offer they make, for many other things you simply NEED handsticks, Google Earth and such.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-30-22 at 10:54 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 05:53 AM   #69
Skybird
Soaring

One of the first and still most impressive VR experiences I made, was "Air Car". I came to experience it on the Oculus Rift, and for long time it was a Rift-only title. When I had chnaged my VR set last christmas for the G2 Reverb, I lost it - I thought.

I have meanwhile found that the title is no longer Rift-only, and is beign worked on, still. In the G2 with its higher resolution, it looks stunning! I like to have it back.

Its not a game, just an experience, a way to relax, you hover aorund in a futuristic Blade Runner-style city, in a Blade Runner-style flying car. And you look around and enjoy the sights and the experience and if your stomach is hard enough you do some fancy flying stunts. Thats it. There are many demonstrators like this for VR . What sets this apart is that while you do not "play" it often or all the time, you nevertheless keep coming back to it every couple of times. There have been clones who showed up, but none of them, as far as I saw them, came close to this one.

The Reverb'S handsticks had to be adapted via a mod, it took some mtime for me to found out.

G-Police, anyone...?

Old 07-08-22, 06:07 AM   #70
Skybird
Soaring

Is VR practical in DCS?

You bet it is!

Old 07-13-22, 03:23 AM   #71
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

VR is absolutely essential for flying helicopters in sims like DCS and X-Plane. That and a set of actual helicopter controls, i.e., cyclic, collective, anti-torque pedals. I wouldn't even bother if I didn't have those things.

VR is also excellent for racing and fixed wing flight simming. And space sims, by which I mean simulators that do their best to recreate real life space programs, NASA, etc.

Beyond those categories, a nice, big, curved monitor is better. I don't like having a brick strapped to my head, or having to install their software.

I have both an HTC Vive Pro and an Oculus Rift S. The difference in visual quality is not enough to justify spending the money for the Vive Pro.

The HTC software is a nightmare. The Oculus software comes from Metaquest, which you can read as, "Facebook".

More and more of my VR games are suddenly becoming playable on monitors, despite being VR-only when released. Developers have seen the handwriting on the wall and are patching their VR-only titles that are successful to work with monitors as well.

The only thing for which I find it indispensable is flying high-fidelity helicopter simulations. But you need helicopter controls, too. Trying to use your Warthog or whatever is pointless. Trying to fly computer helicopters without VR is pointless.

So unless you're adamant about flying high-fidelity helicopter sims, don't dump a lot of money into VR. I don't think that it will be around much longer. I do have use for it with my helicopters. I love it for that. And I enjoy it for fixed wing sims, racing, and space sims. But I think it's going to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Maybe when they can make a headset that's wireless and like a pair of comfortable sunglasses, and that actually features some visual clarity, it will rise from the ashes. But right now, it's an albatross.
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-22, 09:36 AM   #72
Skybird
Soaring

VR is for certain game genres, but not for all. This will not change much even with higher resolution than today.

A very ghood compromise between visual qulity and price is the G2 Reverb. As I qwrote earlier however, in games where precise and fast handsaet ztracking is needed, it is not so good. But in seated cockit surroundings it is the VR set of choice, imo. The visuals are so good that I indeed these days prefer to watch a movie bluray or DVD in VR with a cinema environment, not on huge TV.

Also, VR market still is in steep climb, not stagnating or even dropping at all! I wonder where you got that impression. What is an obstacle for some is not the limitations of VR, but the high costs of many sets.

Just one example of many:

https://www.androidcentral.com/gamin...ld-spring-2022

Quote:
VR continues to break records as Meta's Quest 2 headset leads the pack, now eclipsing the 14.8 million units sold mark according to new data provided by the International Data Corporation, or IDC for short. That same report shows that VR sales grew 97% in 2021, with Q1 2022 bringing that number up to a whopping 242% growth.

German Amazon offers the G2 with handpieces for 650-700 Euros. I got mine half a year ago for 500.
Old 08-20-22, 04:54 AM   #73
Skybird
Soaring

I always wanted to check this one, and always it somehow dropped of my radar screen again, but now I got it for 8 coins, and boy, is it a good one!

I usually do not like RTS games, they are too hectic, and this one is, too, but the VR setting, the flawless interface and cute cartoonish grpoahcis style that puts a girn on your face that for the whole batgtle never goes away make this one different. I say this is an almost perfect execution of a concept for VR gaming, and its one of the best VR games I know. Handling is absolutely intuitive. You get started within 3 minutes, or less. Promised.

Dont forget to zoom yourself to ground level instead of just hovering like a deity above the clouds. If you put the virtual boots of your avatar then you are in the thiockest action you cna imagine, anmd right in the centre of it, and all bright lights and louds sounds will be VERY big and huge to your senses!

Funny little home-made chaos here - thats what cooking in the kitchen should be like! And a perfect game for showcasing VR. Costing just 8 coins, its a steal.
Old 11-15-22, 12:43 PM   #74
Skybird
Soaring

Time and again people say VR has seen its climax and already is on its way to insignificance again. I never agreed with that. What I see since 2017 is growth of demand. Not exploding growth, but steady growth.

Quote:
Global shipments for VR headsets jumped 241.6% in Q1 compared to the same period last year, with continued demand and easing supply driving growth. For the full year, IDC expects to see 13.9 million VR headsets ship, up 26.6% from the year prior.
According to the research firm, sales should surpass 20 million units in 2023, and the average selling price should hit its peak. Consumers next year should benefit from next-gen headsets -- from Meta, but also from Pico and Sony.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/2023-w...-will-you-buy/
Old 11-28-22, 07:18 PM   #75
Skybird
Soaring

The following is a 360° video, so it begs and yells for watching it in VR.

Its the Kurfürstendamm in the present, at dawn, with fading daylight, and full christmas lights. This makes for a beautiful light composition. The guy shooting it does so with the camera on his helmet while he is on bicycle, so you have the viewing angle of a standing person, the speed of a comfortably driven bicyle, and all movementt around you nevertheless being natural. He has a channel with dozens and dozens of such videos, thats good, but many videos shoot boring or imo uninteresting places, thats not so good, but I know which ones are the interesting ones, that is good again. This film is nice, due to the lights and warm yellowish colkours and the tiem of day. At daylight the chaussee seems to have eb ocme a very soul-less place, I have seen many videos of that now.

If you have no VR, watch it at maximum 4k resolution even if your screen supports only HD, due to the 360° shot the many pixels on a 1080-screen make a crispy picture that softens up if you set resolution to 1980 in Youtube options. So, use the 2160. Better: use VR.

Enjoy! I did, bathing in the warm lights.