Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-22, 06:06 AM   #5746
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Oh, I don't think I will

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-20-22, 06:30 AM   #5747
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

If I only knew the title of the thread, then I could find the finest explanation on Natos Article 5. Since I can't I have to take it from memory.

An attack on a Nato country activate article 5 the musketeer oath all for one and one for all.

Can we rely on this oath.. No there will be members states who will try to downgrade the effect of an attack on another member.
My country(think he wrote Germany)would do anything to downgrade the situation..

Wish I could remember every word 'cause it was 100 % Correct what he wrote.

This article 5 will die-Nato will come to the conclusion-All for one-None for all.

Not meaning that there ain't member state who will honour this article and send help-But mostly some member states Parliament will do anything to downgrade the situation.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 08-20-22, 06:36 AM   #5748
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

That would make the whole idea of NATO redundant!!
Individually each country would be doomed against an aggressor such as Russia, it is only when all stick together that makes the pact viable/winnable.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Old 08-20-22, 06:48 AM   #5749
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
That would make the whole idea of NATO redundant!!
Individually each country would be doomed against an aggressor such as Russia, it is only when all stick together that makes the pact viable/winnable.
I'm convince in the case with this Nuclear powerplant in Ukraine-If there should be a huge leak..some member state would try to point some of the guilt on Ukraine and thereby trying to downgrade the seriousness in Russia's attack on this powerplant

I hope I'm wrong on all this.

Edit
Somehow I missed Skybirds first answer on this page
"Really? Will they...?

Wait, watch and be surprised.
"
End edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 08-20-22 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 07:10 AM   #5750
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Here's a quick summary of the latest developments in Ukraine:

The base of Russia's Black Sea fleet in annexed Crimea has reportedly come under further drone attack. Large smoke clouds have been filmed arising from the area of Sevastopol that is home to Russia's naval headquarters

The Russian-installed leader of the occupied city confirmed a Ukrainian drone had been shot down over the area, and said no one was hurt

It follows a series of attacks against Russian military targets in the peninsula, which Russia annexed from Ukraine in 2014, in recent days and weeks

Meanwhile, a visit by international inspectors could help restore the safety of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelensky has said

Markus

Old 08-20-22, 08:25 AM   #5751
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

NATO treaty, article 5, original text:

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defense recognized by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

That formulation leaves plenty of flexibility for member states qwhetehr they agree with a situaiton of an attack on one member, and if so, in what way they react. It is left to ever ymamber sttae to fight, to send military aid, or to react in any other way - or not to react at all.

Its always implied that article 5, if triggered, means an automatic military committment of all member states for other member states. This impression is wanted - but it is wrong. The critical legal formulations are two-fold: 1. "shall be considered" - that is not the same as "must/will be considered", its juristic and treaty langauge haisplitting but leaves the wanted escape hatch open; and 2. "action as it deems necessary", which in the context refers not to the alliance as a whole or to its institutional control board to decide, but refers to each any every member state to individually assess what it deems necessary.

Note that the UN is also given a word in all this. Without its recognition of a justified case for troiggering artiocle 5, it cannot be activated.

You maybe ignore all this, thinking its all irrelevant hairsplitting. But this is a legal text, and you can bet your life on that not a single sentence and word was chosen by random, or carelessly.

These are not just my personal conclusions, but I just repeat what experts on the matter on various occasions have said or written.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-20-22 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 08:36 AM   #5752
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Hope I'm wrong.

The Danish politicians about a majority will try to downgrade the situation-There will be a massive discussion in the Danish Parliament and among the civilian ending with a withdrawal from Article 5.

Hope I'm wrong, that Denmark will stand op for it's - One for all principal.

Markus

Old 08-20-22, 08:40 AM   #5753
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Everybody raising his hand who thinks European states are 1. willing, and 2. economically and 3. militarily capable to declare war on Russia and start to war-fighting it, everywhere.

Now...?
Old 08-20-22, 10:24 AM   #5754
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Really? Will they...?

Wait, watch and be surprised.
British MP Ellwood can say what he wants don't know his party and certainly other countries will listen to any warmonger that desperately need votes. As you can see at the satellite images of the nuclear plant, there is no damage Putin blackmails, again let us not be played here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Old 08-20-22, 10:33 AM   #5755
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Hope I'm wrong.

The Danish politicians about a majority will try to downgrade the situation-There will be a massive discussion in the Danish Parliament and among the civilian ending with a withdrawal from Article 5.

Hope I'm wrong, that Denmark will stand op for it's - One for all principal.

Markus
And that is a good thing Parliaments needs to decide in a democracy not a couple of hawks decide the hawks in Russia are in power and it has not a politburo like in the USSR to remove the hawks I rather live in a country that decide by the will of all than in Russia by the will of the few.

Quote:

Last edited by Dargo; 08-20-22 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 10:41 AM   #5756
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Everybody raising his hand who thinks European states are 1. willing, and 2. economically and 3. militarily capable to declare war on Russia and start to war-fighting it, everywhere.

Now...?
No European state or the US will consider this proposal what are you thinking will happen I know mutual destruction will happen I never raise my hand for that.

Quote:
Old 08-20-22, 12:28 PM   #5757
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:

Now...?

Old 08-20-22, 12:31 PM   #5758
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Drone attack targets Russian Black Sea fleet in Crimea

Russian forces in Crimea have been targeted by a fresh drone strike.

The Russian-appointed regional leader said a Ukrainian drone targeting Russia's Black Sea fleet in the city of Sevastopol was shot down on Saturday.

It follows a string of attacks on Russian forces and installations in the annexed peninsula this month.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62618538

The BBC have been a tad slow of late.

Old 08-20-22, 12:35 PM   #5759
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation accused Ukraine of using chemical poisonous substances against Russian servicemen and civilians.

The ministry said that Russian military personnel who were "performing tasks" near the village of Vasylivka in Zaporizhzhia Region were allegedly taken to a military hospital with signs of severe poisoning, and a toxic substance, botulinum toxin type B, was detected in their bodies.

"On the fact of chemical terrorism sanctioned by the Zelensky regime, the Russian Federation is preparing supporting documents with the results of the analyses conducted," the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

They add that there is an additional investigation into the poisoning with "military toxic substances" of the head of the provisional administration of the Kherson region, Vladimir Saldo, given the evidence of "state terrorism of the Kyiv regime". Source: https://censor.net/en/n3362073
"Danger, Will Robinson!"

Old 08-20-22, 12:36 PM   #5760
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Drone attack targets Russian Black Sea fleet in Crimea

Russian forces in Crimea have been targeted by a fresh drone strike.

The Russian-appointed regional leader said a Ukrainian drone targeting Russia's Black Sea fleet in the city of Sevastopol was shot down on Saturday.

It follows a string of attacks on Russian forces and installations in the annexed peninsula this month.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62618538

The BBC have been a tad slow of late.
Others are late also, in general Ukraine is no news anymore for the mayor media.

Quote:
Closed Thread