SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-12, 10:55 PM   #1
Majorlee
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Refueling question

Hello, all. New to the forum and I would appreciate some help to this awesome game. I had the old game by SSI, SIlent Service, back in the 90's, but as computers progressed the old game would not run on more modern machines...even when working with compatibility tools. Anyhoo, i digress with TMI on myslef, so to the question:

It was early February, 1942 and I was south of Davao and running low on fuel. I tried to go to Davao, but even when I sailed right into a berth I was never prompted to refuel nor did I get any. I thought maybe it was taken over by the Japs and I didn;t know it? I reloaded the game and tried to head for Darwin. Darwin was being bombed like crazy, but I managed to slip in at night...again no fuel was given. I thought you could refuel at any freindly port? How is this done? Thanks, and Ipromise I am not usually this long winded.
Majorlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 11:45 PM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Welcome aboard!

Whenever you need help for a question about game problems of this sort, you should say what version of the game you are playing and what mods, if any, you are using.

Most here play version 1.5 with their choice of mods. With the version I play, I can refuel at any port with an anchor icon. As you get close, you should get a menu presenting options for refueling, or ending the patrol.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 11:53 PM   #3
Majorlee
Swabbie

Thank you for the reply and advice. I am playing 1.4 stock. Perhaps I misunderstood the manual when it said you could refuel at any freindly or neutral port. I thought the anchor symbols on the map were where you could get both fuel and torpedoes, and you could get fuel pretty much anywhere. Perhaps I misunderstood the map.
Old 06-21-12, 12:52 AM   #4
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9

The official manual has nothing to do with the game!. Throw it away. NOW! . The "manual" is this forum, right here!

Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 02:55 AM   #5
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

For refueling and torpedoes you need to go to a port with a anchor.
Your home port will have a tilted anchor and you can end a patrol there.

Welcome aboard mate.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 02:59 AM   #6
Carthaginian
Loader

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic452 View Post
For refueling and torpedoes you need to go to a port with a anchor.
Your home port will have a tilted anchor and you can end a patrol there.

Welcome aboard mate.

Magic

And be sure to check you map- you might miss the fact that your homeport got moved during the Allied Retreat! Those radio messages can get lost in the shuffle sometimes.
Carthaginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 04:02 AM   #7
PacificWolf
Ensign

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 3

And remember when You refueling and refiting You need to "catch" one of the torpedoes from internal magazines and drag her to any tube, then click refit again, if You want "full house".
Its just a game issue but i think it will be helpful 4 You.

"All ships can dive, only submarines can surface"
PacificWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 06:18 AM   #8
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

One thing about refueling / refitting, is it can cause an issue with getting upgrades like cut down control towers, and new classes of boats.

So try to use them sparingly. Which makes it tough when you are based at Pearl, and boats regularly used Midway, and later in the war, Guam, and other locations to top off the tanks to get back to base.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:31 AM   #9
Littica Marek
Watch

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWolf View Post
And remember when You refueling and refiting You need to "catch" one of the torpedoes from internal magazines and drag her to any tube, then click refit again, if You want "full house".
Its just a game issue but i think it will be helpful 4 You.
Hehe yeah i have forgotten to do that a few times, almost always ill go sink a few ships and get down to around 3 Fish left THEN find a large convoy, was gutted once when i found an Oil Heavy Convoy with only 1 Mk 10 left in my little Pigboat.... i cried i really did.
Littica Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 02:45 PM   #10
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

I don't know how many times the SH4 Gods have done that to me! I think they are a sadistic lot!

---------------------

Old 06-21-12, 02:55 PM   #11
Carthaginian
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
One thing about refueling / refitting, is it can cause an issue with getting upgrades like cut down control towers, and new classes of boats.
Really?
Howso?
Do tell, as if I ever decide leave my Sugar boat behind, I'm going to have to spend these 15,000 renown on SOMETHING.
Old 06-21-12, 08:45 PM   #12
Majorlee
Swabbie

Thanks for the great tips, mateys!!! S-35 is back on station, fueled and ready to take Japan down.
Old 06-21-12, 11:59 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well in that S-Boat you're dead meat but I like your attitude! Remember: you're faster underwater than a fleet boat and for some reason your sugar boat seems more stealthy. Too bad you're not packing more torpedoes! Fight her right and you might just get to see that girl of yours again.

Sorry though they are, S-Boats have a way of stealing your heart and you get to love the cotton pickin' things!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 05:57 AM   #14
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthaginian View Post
Really?
Howso?
Do tell, as if I ever decide leave my Sugar boat behind, I'm going to have to spend these 15,000 renown on SOMETHING.
You don't use renown to pay for conning towers or newer boats that enter service to my knowledge.

I was running a campaign I think in the Asiatic, Fleet, but I have done the same from Pearl, and was lazy, so before ending a patrol, I would refuel and rearm, because it would automatically load the torpedoes I liked in the loadout instead of doing it after entering port.

Needless to say, I was in the middle of 1944 with an early war conning tower on a P-Class boat, and no offer to upgrade to a newer boat. But the first patrol I did not rearm, and refuel, I got a cut down tower, and 2 patrols later, I got offered a newer boat, a Balao if memory serves.

But it has been discussed here a few times in the past. It won't interfere with your accumulation of renown, it just has some kind of stock bug that no one has been able to overcome.

I think the discussion came up in one of the supermod threads, as some folks were not getting upgrades, or newer boats, so tests were done, and the evidence showed that if you opted to refuel / reload while at sea, upon retuning to base, you weren't offered or given any of the automatic upgrades the game does. But if you just ran your patrol, and returned to base without refueling / reloading, you would get regular improvements like cut down control towers, and newer boats when they entered service.

---------------------

Old 06-22-12, 12:06 PM   #15
Carthaginian
Loader

Strange- I'm over 2 months overdue for the change in conning tower for my Sugar boat, then. I haven't refueled/rearmed at a tender in a long time- probably 3-4 patrols. I have been offered a new command several times and have turned it down... but I've never seen the updated tower or AA gun available for my boat.