SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-15, 08:56 AM   #31
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

For some reason, with 16GB in my machine it would just go to a black screen after the intro videos. Then I tried the 4GB patch, and it works fine. When you have lots of memory, there may be a problem with the OS moving parts of the game to a memory address that's too high- which keeps it from running unless you apply the 4GB fix first. So instead of being able to run it and having it CTD because of the patch not being applied, it just never runs at all.

And BTW, you do not need CFFexplorer any more to do this. NTCore has released an easier to use utility for this called 4GB patch
Here's the link
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 09:00 AM   #32
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Wow! I found CFF Explorer to be dead simple so that must be press button: WHAM!

And welcome aboard swdw, after a very long run. Good to have some old-timers around here.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 08:25 AM   #33
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Wow! I found CFF Explorer to be dead simple so that must be press button: WHAM!

And welcome aboard swdw, after a very long run. Good to have some old-timers around here.
Yep, that's how it works. Don't even need to install it.

And thanks for the welcome back.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 09:07 PM   #34
wireman
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
One more time: This thread is for people having problems getting SH4 to run on Windows 10. There are now two threads in the PC Software forum on the OS itself. Please stay on topic.
I have been away a long time so windows 10 and SH4 were new and might as well have been new to me. I installed SH4 and tried to run it with no success.

"Carp," I said to myself.

"I'll go to SUBSIM, those guys know everything," said I.

"Good idea," me replied.

Well...long story short, nothing helped. I probably got glossy eyed and went right by the answer. I then searched on the tubes...a lot of alchemy, but no straw to gold.

Out of frustration, I set the computer display to 1028x768 and ran SH4. It worked. I then set the in game graphics to 1920x1080 and it continued running. Huzzah. I exited the game and reset the computer display to 1920x1080 and restarted the game. It worked again. And again, and again...

I copied the game and renamed copy for future supermod and tried to run it with no joy. Carp. Then I did the same as the above paragraph and it worked like a charm.

If someone else figured this out and posted; disregard this post. If this helps someone else then my good deed is done and I don't have to drag some old lady across the street.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 09:10 PM   #35
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back

wireman!aftert a seven year silent run...and a few months!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-16, 10:25 AM   #36
wireman
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Had to disable the windows 10 hot keys for non-interrupted game play. So far, so good.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 04:55 PM   #37
dangu
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 44
Default Working fine

SH4 is working pretty well on my Win10 notebook. Except when it crashes sometimes. Saving the game often is a good solution there.
dangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 07:15 AM   #38
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim dangu

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-16, 06:40 PM   #39
slipf18
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

On Windows !0:

I was running the Steam version of SH4 with uboat missions. Everything worked great. Playing for over a month not one single crash.

Then I downloaded SH4 Gold from Amazon because I wanted to try out some mods. I unchecked that box mentioned above and run as administrator. Program seem to work as little as I have played. I loaded a career file from when i was on Steam (was shocked they showed up). Everything seemed right. So I tried to save as a different name. Game crashes. Did this twice.

Any ideas?
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-16, 07:38 PM   #40
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

dangu!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 04:18 AM   #41
Al Lowe
Bosun

Downloads: 32

I don't know if anyone else has run into this problem. SH4 has been running pretty good for me under Windows 10. Until a couple of days ago. Suddenly I could not load any of my saved games.

What I discovered was there had been a critical update of Windows at about this time. I used System Restore to restore it to a point before the update. I could still not load my recent saves, but my older ones did work.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Current System:
MSI 760GM-E51 mainboard with
AMD FX-8350 8 core processor running at 4.2 GHZ
16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 800 MHZ
AMD Radeon R9 285 GPU w 2GB of GDDR5 RAM @ 1375mhz
Acer V223W Monitor
Al Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 03:33 PM   #42
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have not had issues with SH4, but I'm not playing it on Win10 anymore. But everything else I have that is on Win10 has been having issues for like the last 3 or 4 rounds of updates... They've gone and turned Win10 into WinMe and/or Vista - I can't tell who's behind the curtain just yet. But I've quit using Windows 10 for anything I deem "important". An SH4 "Save" file seems "delicate" enough anyway, without throwing Windows update issues at them. My guess would be that the old files you can get loaded are from a few weeks ago, and the newer ones that won't load are from the first round of trouble Windows Update had. Just a guess though... sorry.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 07:54 AM   #43
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I just installed SH4 on my Win10 laptop and the game would not start (even thought the Steam menu item showed it as "Running"

Here's what worked for me

Find your Steam version of the sh4.exe file.

Right click the sh4.exe icon, select Properties

On the Compatibility tab, Check Disable Display Scaling on high DPI settings. Apply and Ok.

Restart the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh4_dp1.jpg (93.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg sh4_dp2.jpg (90.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-08-16, 01:21 PM   #44
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlordmaligant View Post
I can not see the compatability in the properties when i click properties i just upgraded to windows 10 and can not run sh4
Missed you amongst all the traffic there sithlordmaligant, and you were the last post on the page and slipped through the cracks... Anyway, you'll probably have to re-install the game, since an upgrade of an OS usually doesn't do most of the apps much good - if you hadn't figured that out by now. Just leave out the Game Shadow stuff, and see which method of screen resolution fixings works for you, as noted above for a few of the others. As for my Win10 woes, I think MS finally got their "security" stuff straightened out, and my computer isn't "thrashing about" anymore.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 03:18 AM   #45
CoffeelinFine
Swabbie

Downloads: 212

Doesn't work on my Win10 laptop and I've tried everything mentioned in this thread lol.

It works fine on my Win8.1 desktop though so not a huge deal.
CoffeelinFine is offline   Reply With Quote