SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-07, 05:49 PM   #1
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0
Default Coming soon: 1/72 scale IJN subs!

New from Lindberg: 1/72 scale Japanese subs!

IJN I-20 Sub/HA-20 Sub
Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine I-20 and HA-20 Midget Submarine. IJN C-1 class submarine with 'piggy-back' mounted 2-man Type A midget submarine - the later was the vessel USS Ward attacked prior to the air raid at Pearl Harbor, 7 December, 1941. Both subs have detailed full hulls and conning towers.

IJN Sub I-53 with Kaiten
Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine I-53 with Kaiten 'Kamikaze ' Torpedoes.IJN C-3 class submarine with 5 'piggy-back' mounted Type 1 human-piloted torpedoes. Represents I-53 as configured for the 9th Kaiten sortie, July-August 1945. All vessels feature detailed full hulls.

Old 11-20-07, 06:19 PM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Look like they might be fun to build, but I bet you getting decent research on them will be a pain in the ass. I've only got one book with info on Jap subs in it and I don't recall seeing a lot of stuff about them. Probably won't stop me having a crack at one though, even though Jap subs do mostly look like German and Italian ones. That'll be my wife moaning again then, our house already looks like an unofficial annex to the Imperial War Museum as it is...

Chock
Old 11-20-07, 07:41 PM   #3
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
New from Lindberg: 1/72 scale Japanese subs!

IJN I-20 Sub/HA-20 Sub
Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine I-20 and HA-20 Midget Submarine. IJN C-1 class submarine with 'piggy-back' mounted 2-man Type A midget submarine - the later was the vessel USS Ward attacked prior to the air raid at Pearl Harbor, 7 December, 1941. Both subs have detailed full hulls and conning towers.

IJN Sub I-53 with Kaiten
Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine I-53 with Kaiten 'Kamikaze ' Torpedoes.IJN C-3 class submarine with 5 'piggy-back' mounted Type 1 human-piloted torpedoes. Represents I-53 as configured for the 9th Kaiten sortie, July-August 1945. All vessels feature detailed full hulls.

whoa great find! Where are they selling them at?
Old 11-20-07, 08:08 PM   #4
U812
Sparky

Sorry guys they won't be out until next year. If you do a search you will find some better pictures of these two boats. I had it but can't find them. Bigger than the Gato. Even better for an RC conversion. I work with the company that will release the water tight cylinder and electronics.

The Seaview will be out first and already in progress is the WTC for this conversion making it a static diving RC sub!

Steve
U812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 12:02 AM   #5
I-25
Commodore

Downloads: 24

ever seen the other pis of the model??? it looks like a toy! not accurate at all! Guess Us IJN lovers will still have to wait for a good large scale sub so far only the Nichimo I-19 @ 1/200 has been good
Take note whoever put this together has no idea whats hes doing the conningtower is on the wrong way

also the tower of the I-20 itself is way under scale for the sub.
Looks like a fat whale dont it?
I wonder what would be the dive tome on somthing with so little limber holes....

this this is WAY off
I-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 05:44 PM   #6
Padre
Nub

I'm guessing these pictures were pre-production models. I am curious what the final product will look like. I contacted Lindberg, the subs will not be released until the latter part of 2008. Someone mentioned research, there is a book on Imperial Japanese Navy Sumbarines for 12.21. published by New Vanguard.

Padre
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 06:03 PM   #7
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

The title of this thread got me all excited. Then I opened it and saw Lindberg. I guess their attention to detail isn't one of their strong points. Every model I have had from them has been junk. I recently threw out about 90% of my old models. Time has not been good to them. Needless to say, I didn't keep any of my Lindberg models.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 06:47 PM   #8
Padre
Nub

I agree with your concern about Lindberg. The up side is thet the kit is big enough to modify as needed. When I built the Lindberg USS MELVIN I found sources for all the 20 and 40 MM weapons. This made all the difference in the world. I was also able to rebuild the mast and make the kit into a good looking Fletcher class destroyer. I did the same with their PT Boat. The cast 20MM and twin 50's and some brass and plastic work made all the difference in the world. I'm hoping to do the same with the I20. I've built the 1/72 Gato and 1/72 U-Boat. I want this to complete the "big three" collection.

Padre

Last edited by Padre; 03-27-08 at 07:55 AM.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 03:53 AM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I wish the RC side of this wasn't so expensive.