Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-13, 01:31 AM   #1
fable2omg
Swabbie

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0
Captain's journal on Tumblr

Hi guys, well it's been at least two years since I've been on this website, and first of all I would like to thank everyone involved in this forum and everyone involved in the modding community: Without you guys Silent Hunter 5 would probably not even be a playable game.
Hopefully none of the veterans here remember me

Hum, well the whole point of this post is that I've always been a big fan of Silent Hunter 5, and recently I've started working on a captain's diary, a sort-of alternate story for Johannes Franz commander of the U-27 (that sank on it's first patrol), and I've made this Tumblr where it has daily updates of captain entries which is basically writings of what happens in SH5.

It's nothing special really, but I think it's worth a look simply to relate to some events, and I've allowed anonymous replies to the tumblr so maybe if you want to drop a note related to a post you saw, or maybe give your opinion, both positive and negative..
..Here's the link.
http://johannesfranzuboat.tumblr.com/
The account posts twice a day, some are very long, others are short, please remember this Tumblr just started so it's still on the first patrol, but I'll make sure it never stops updating!

Included is a photophopped in-game screenshot of the U-boat involved.
Thank you for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh5 colour.jpg (80.4 KB, 20 views)
fable2omg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 02:16 AM   #2
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 01:20 PM   #3
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Cool! Nice to read these, gives more room to imagination. Hopefully your luck will change/they fix the stadimeter and you start to sink them!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 01:50 AM   #4
fable2omg
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
Cool! Nice to read these, gives more room to imagination. Hopefully your luck will change/they fix the stadimeter and you start to sink them!
Haha, yeah, that was actually me that forgot the stock SH5 stadimeter was not accurate, I downloaded the Reaper7 stadimeter fix for the second patrol though.
I thought captains never missed their torpedoes until I read the book "Steel boat Iron hearts", at least by 1942-1943 they were shooting these torpedoes like it was nothing! It made me feel better for not scoring a single hit on that first patrol lol
Old 11-05-13, 01:31 PM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Nice idea fable2omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
Hopefully your luck will change/they fix the stadimeter and you start to sink them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fable2omg View Post
Haha, yeah, that was actually me that forgot the stock SH5 stadimeter was not accurate, I downloaded the Reaper7 stadimeter fix for the second patrol though.
Why don't you use a custom UI mod instead?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 03:39 PM   #6
fable2omg
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Nice idea fable2omg
Why don't you use a custom UI mod instead?
Well after reconsideration, I think I'll just lower the difficulty level, I made it so that I could see ships on the map, for multiple reasons, one of them is that I'll be able to plot the attack without constantly switching from the map to the UZO, the other one is that whenever the time randomly stops at 4 or 8 times speed (already unrealistic enough, telling me whether it's a plane or a ship) with the ship icons on the map I won't have to walk to the conning tower, looking personally for something the guys on watch won't tell me.

I think for the tumblr it'll add some realistic elements, since now I'll be able to crash dive while still being in bed, then wake up and go ask "what happened!"
Old 11-05-13, 03:45 PM   #7
fable2omg
Swabbie

SHO

About my mods, I remember modding SH5 the old way 2 years ago, adding my favourite ones including realistic sinking time and also no U-boat hull percentage. Meaning if there's a plane that drop bombs on my deck (Like I've tested before starting the tumblr) my hull won't drop, but my engines will be damaged, I won't be able to dive because of flooding, and my U-boat can even sink!
The game ends when I hit about 300 metres.
I think that's a crucial realistic element, and since my SH5 is modded old school, I know there's a file that can easily be overwritten and can delete that mod without having any real chance of finding it back on the forums.
My point of this post is: My SH5 I modded to be realistic, but I can't add more otherwise many things could go wrong.

EDIT: I should also point out that the first patrol wasn't meant to be published, I've written many fictional diaries before and it was after writing it that I published it.
The second patrol will be much more professional, I just found out how "childish" some of the writings were, and I was also disturbed by the lack of attempt to blend the stadimeter issue with reality.
One sure thing, I did learned a lot during that "shore leave" between the first and second patrol.

Last edited by fable2omg; 11-07-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 04:40 PM   #8
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

That screenshot looks really good. Looks like you got caught in a bombing raid
Old 11-06-13, 02:00 PM   #9
fable2omg
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
That screenshot looks really good. Looks like you got caught in a bombing raid
lol yeah, the sun was bombing around us with UVA and UVB rays, we decided to deploy the emergency sun cream bracing ourselves for the upcoming day!

Last edited by fable2omg; 11-06-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 10:56 PM   #10
fable2omg
Swabbie

SHO

Well, if anyone is interested, the tumblr is soon going to include the second patrol.
It's now set to post 3 times a day, and my photoshop is now set to apply a specific black and white filter to all in-game photos, so expect some nice burning tankers in all the glory that color blindness can give you!

Tags
diary, johannes franz, journal, tumblr, u-27