SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-24, 07:11 AM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Now, this is top-secret hush-hush information, and you'll have to be eliminated if you divulge any of this info briefing, but here is an IJN routing chart of the traffic in November and December 1941...

Some of the groups will not show on those routes until after January or February 1942, so this really doesn't disclose much - but it gives you an idea of where things go to / come from. That's Indo-China to the left, Hainan to the upper-left, Hong Kong in the middle of the China coast, Formosa to the top, and of course, the Philippines middle-right. Manila Harbor is lower-left on Luzon, and Lingayen Gulf is middle-left on Luzon, where you see the highly-trafficked black dots for waypoints. The "green" T thingies are US installations to induce the enemy to shoot at the shore when the invasion forces come within range, but do not actually "help" the player. That's San Bernardino Strait in the lower-right of Luzon, where you see anotheer mess of waypoint dots from the invasion forces there early.

Which submarine are you in, an S Class? If you completed the first assignment to San Bernardino Strait, you should be assigned another objective in the Philippines, not sent immediately to Java via Borneo. However, going that way, you would only encounter a few Allied ships (maybe), and minimal IJN, if any, since they are all behind you.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 12:31 PM   #17
cookiemonste
Medic

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

The seas are still barren. Sometimes I find a fishing boat but even that is rare. No merchant ships, even on convoy routes.
cookiemonste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 01:40 PM   #18
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are no convoys early. That's the thing. The war is just starting. What submarine are you in?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-24, 06:11 AM   #19
cookiemonste
Medic

I'm in an S-Boat.
My 2nd patrol was at the strait of luzon, the south china sea and near hainan at the end. I found 2 single merchants in the south china sea. Found a lot of ships in Singapore harbour. Maybe I am too impatient but even then, I take regular sound checks and get nothing. Only the occasional crab boat from time to time.
I did not see your original reply until now, I will experiment a l little with the locations.
Old 03-21-24, 02:57 PM   #20
cookiemonste
Medic

It must have been due to the start of the war, I've gotta work for it but I am running into small convoys or 2 merchants sailing together. Patience is a virtue.