SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-22, 09:32 PM   #1
Tabris
A-ganger

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Default Nights are TOO bright. Any theories?

Hi all, first time poster, short time lurker, long time GWX user here. I've got what seems to be a unique problem: It doesn't get dark enough at night. I will post several pictures, all of which will have the local time showing on the screen except the first one, which was taken at 22:00 on May 8th just west of Scotland.

As you can see, the sun does go down, but the twilight lasts much too long. When it's overcast, the clouds are too bright at night. And sometimes during bright sunny days, the men's faces have way too much light on them.

What's odd is that I've found forum posts describing opposite problems: "black sky during the day," "nights are too dark" etc. Haven't found a single example of this problem though.

This is only my first patrol since a recent reinstall. I can't imagine any of the mods I'm using would have any impact on the skybox, but something must be screwing with it.

Details on my game:
mods:
- GWX
- SH3 Commander
- SH3C+GWX compatibility patch
- DBSM
- Ahnenerbe WideGUI 1920x1080 Final
system:
Win 10
game running in compatibility mode for XP SP3, as admin

Thanks for your consideration, all, whether or not anyone has any idea!

- Tabris

Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-22, 10:24 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Hi all, first time poster, short time lurker, long time GWX user here. I've got what seems to be a unique problem: It doesn't get dark enough at night. I will post several pictures, all of which will have the local time showing on the screen except the first one, which was taken at 22:00 on May 8th just west of Scotland.

As you can see, the sun does go down, but the twilight lasts much too long. When it's overcast, the clouds are too bright at night. And sometimes during bright sunny days, the men's faces have way too much light on them.

What's odd is that I've found forum posts describing opposite problems: "black sky during the day," "nights are too dark" etc. Haven't found a single example of this problem though.

This is only my first patrol since a recent reinstall. I can't imagine any of the mods I'm using would have any impact on the skybox, but something must be screwing with it.

Details on my game:
mods:
- GWX
- SH3 Commander
- DBSM
system:
Win 10

- Tabris

In SH 4, in same area in Atlantic, at higher latitudes in summer...late May, June, and most of July this can happen.

Noticed if keep TC at 1026 and below, best at 512 or below, does not happen as often.

In Pacific when in Alaskan Waters, Kurile Islands, happens as well. Very short nights, sometimes so short its never really night.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-22, 10:26 PM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15 Re: Welcome aboard...

Quote:

Details on my game:
mods:
- GWX
- SH3 Commander
- DBSM
system:
Win 10

- Tabris

Tabris.!

1st off, welcome aboard...

That done, now on to your quandary...

1 possibility that comes to mind... & know this is possible in SH4... as for SH3... not sure, but... could be, that the gamma is a bit higher than it needs being, in game. In 4, it can be adjusted in the inbuilt game play options menu.

NOT sure if there's a way or means to check that though... in 3. Though... it can be doable to adjust gamma, through your computer's graphics card settings.

Hope this helps...

M. M.
Old 07-19-22, 12:27 AM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Keep in mind that in real life, the more you close the arctic circle the more nights can be brighter in summer (inverse in winter for days) and short…
I have experienced this in my stay in Iceland long ago; it was surprising

The faces too bright is an other problem I have fixed in my NYGM enhanced mod.
But you need some skills with S3D application … (it happens only when wearing rain clothes I bet)

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 02:01 AM   #5
Tabris
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
The faces too bright is an other problem I have fixed in my NYGM enhanced mod.
But you need some skills with S3D application … (it happens only when wearing rain clothes I bet)

that is correct, only with the oilskins.

With respect, the problem is not sailing too far North. at 23:00 in Wilhelmshaven the sky looks like the sun only set twenty minutes prior. I will keep investigating. Thanks all.
Old 07-19-22, 12:15 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Tabris!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 03:31 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
that is correct, only with the oilskins.

With respect, the problem is not sailing too far North. at 23:00 in Wilhelmshaven the sky looks like the sun only set twenty minutes prior. I will keep investigating. Thanks all.
How much time compression are you using, and are you shelling out to the Windows desktop while playing the game? What folder is the game installed in?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-22, 12:08 AM   #8
Tabris
A-ganger

thanks all, for the greetings. Glad to be here. These games rock and so does this community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
How much time compression are you using, and are you shelling out to the Windows desktop while playing the game? What folder is the game installed in?
Generally I try to stick to x532, but I confess that in most patrols I do sometimes run at x1064. I have the game installed directly into C:\

By shelling out, are you referring to tabbing out? I do generally do that about once per play session but not multiple times.

Some more information that may relevant:
- this issue persists across multiple patrols, and multiple commander profiles
- I have messed around with the Officer portrait files (ofaces) but reverting my changes to those files makes no difference
Old 07-22-22, 12:50 AM   #9
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

As yourself and others have pointed out everything about the installation seems good and correct. Maybe something in GWX has become corrupted or overwritten in some way. I believe I had this issue in the past messing around with different environment mods.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 11:07 PM   #10
Tabris
A-ganger

Thanks again all for the greetings and suggestions. For now I'm just dealing with it, most times of the year it's not all that distracting, it's at its worst at night, overcast, without rain, and that combination doesn't come up all that often. That said, if anyone else is suffering from this issue, feel free to DM or necro the thread and I'll see about actually fixing it, but for now I'm good with it.
Old 08-23-23, 03:29 AM   #11
johnboy1958
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi, I stopped playing with GWX simply for that reason I>E> could not see a thing at night

Tags
bugs, graphical problems, sh3, sky