SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-22, 04:29 AM   #16
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagura View Post
When I used Hsie Option Selector I had everything checked on except Wolfpk less contact reports & Bad Weather Fix. I followed these instructions:

Note that, as per instruction d), I decided to copy and replace the .act and .exe files, instead of activating them via JSGME. The Supplement to V16B1 in my JSGME activated mods list is done according to the related documentation (Readme_V16B1.pdf) and the tests contained within that document (menu version number, new messages, wolfpack communications) were all OK. Weather has seemed normal/good too. Sorry if any of the info was confusing.

As for Hitman's Optics, I might be interested in getting that to work still but it seemed like both it and WYGM were giving me trouble with the views. But I will test that some more later on. Sound mods and some visual things might be nice too; an attack disc seems like a must-have for me.

Ok as long as you didn't apply any of the patches from Stiebler's section of the option selector you should be alright.
However, you really should always use JSGME to apply any mod and I also would recommend using the Wolfpack less contact reports option.
It can take a long time to get a pack sorted out even with this option, let alone without it.
Old 02-15-22, 09:15 AM   #17
yagura
Seaman

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
you really should always use JSGME to apply any mod and I also would recommend using the Wolfpack less contact reports option.
It can take a long time to get a pack sorted out even with this option, let alone without it.
Alright, I am planning on uninstalling all the mods and the game (SH3Commander is rollbacked) and redoing it all via JSGME + with the Wolfpack less contact reports. While making sure I did not miss some uninstallation instructions I noticed this in the NYGM3_6F documentation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGM3_6_Manual.pdf
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR NYGM USERS: the latest Stiebler hard-code fix, version 4C, provides special Anvart-made turms that also mount both fixed and rotatable radars correctly. Owing to the impossibility of maintaining mod compatibility across NYGM and other super-mods, players of NYGM SHOULD NOT NOW USE the Anvart-Stiebler patch provided with the Stiebler hard-code fix 4C. Instead, download and install from the NYGM website at SubSim this patch: Stiebler4C_SubsFlag (put together by Tycho).
Do you have any knowledge about that?

I am also probably going to try out "Makman's Final GUI" (not sure if this is the correct name) mainly due to a specific periscope sight and the attack disc that should be contained within it. Do you think most of the mods related to that will be activated in JSGME after the NYGM and IABL mods?

Also if you have any general knowledge about the order of activating sound mods or mods that alter e.g. crew clothes, interiors, and other visuals I would be thankful for any notes.
yagura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-22, 11:00 AM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Alright, I am planning on uninstalling all the mods and the game (SH3Commander is rollbacked) and redoing it all via JSGME + with the Wolfpack less contact reports. While making sure I did not miss some uninstallation instructions I noticed this in the NYGM3_6F documentation:

Do you have any knowledge about that?

I am also probably going to try out "Makman's Final GUI" (not sure if this is the correct name) mainly due to a specific periscope sight and the attack disc that should be contained within it. Do you think most of the mods related to that will be activated in JSGME after the NYGM and IABL mods?

Also if you have any general knowledge about the order of activating sound mods or mods that alter e.g. crew clothes, interiors, and other visuals I would be thankful for any notes.

- You may disregard the 3_6f reference as all that is mentioned in it was incorporated into a later version(s) of NYGM which you already have. I.e., notice that info. has a 3_6 heading but it is a found in version 3_6f documentation. You can control the flag via shift-f and ctrl-f but a watch officer must be on the bridge to do so.
I never use radar but search the commands*.cfg file for what keys control that. Found in path game\data\cfg

- I've never used that GUI but *any* mods you add should be added *after* the NYGM and IABL mods. See the GUI's instructions for specifics on how to appy it.
Also, in general you will always want to apply H.sie's patch last.

- In general you can apply sound, etc. mods in any order you wish. Just look for conflicts with each other/other mods when applying them with JSGME.
When there is a conflict between mods when using JSGME you will get a dialog box with a notice of it, asking you if you want to continue.
Old 02-15-22, 02:51 PM   #19
yagura
Seaman

Quote:
Also, in general you will always want to apply H.sie's patch last.
Hello John. I reinstalled the game and the mods. It has run OK once already (will be testing some more right now) but I am a little uncertain about the mod list and its order. I tried to do everything via JSGME now; I followed the instructions as well as I could (it is a bit confusing with all the patched .exe that you need to copy and place in specific locations) and tried to activate everything via JSGME instead of the copy-and-replace I did earlier.

This time around I also had the newer Option Selector, with Stiebler's fixes available as its own button (previous attempt did not have this.) In it I had everything else checked, including Stiebler's, except: Realistic Repair Time(documentation says incompatible with NYGM, which has its own) and Bad Weather Fix(I think this needs to be off for some of Stiebler's fixes, right?). Additionally there was an option that was turned off by default named Diesel Damage Fix which I turned on, not sure if that is OK but I found nothing stating otherwise. I also set both Oxygen meters to 2.0, one being 2.5 initially.

I have some confusion about the order especially due to some documentation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvSimAct_v10_Readme.txt
The mod that copies last is the one that is used.

This EnvSim_10 mod folder should always be the LAST mod installed with JSGME.

For example if you have Stiebler_4C_Revised hard-code package installed on top of the H.sie patch (it must always be installed after the H.sie patch), then the EnvSim_10 mod MUST follow after the Stiebler_4C_Revised mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by V16B1-Patch-Kit/Readme_V16B1.pdf
a. Copy your individualized Supplement-Mod into the MODS folder of your sh3-
installation

b. Activate it using JSGME as the last one - after all other Mods. File conflicts regarding files de_menu.txt, en_menu.txt and Campaign_SCR.mis can be ignored.
So is my activated mods list ok then, with EnvSimAct_10 after Stiebler4C? How about the Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME) which comes with the H.Sie patch if I recall correctly?

If it is of any use I noted that the "Smoke on the horizon!" modification mentioned in Stiebler4C documentation worked, I heard/saw that message for the first time (that 4C was not in use a day or two ago.) I have not tested the messages and wolfpacks yet.

Current JSGME activated mods, once crashed on loading, once played OK:
NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 - Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
EnvSimAct_10
Old 02-15-22, 03:08 PM   #20
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Hello John. I reinstalled the game and the mods. It has run OK once already (will be testing some more right now) but I am a little uncertain about the mod list and its order. I tried to do everything via JSGME now; I followed the instructions as well as I could (it is a bit confusing with all the patched .exe that you need to copy and place in specific locations) and tried to activate everything via JSGME instead of the copy-and-replace I did earlier.

This time around I also had the newer Option Selector, with Stiebler's fixes available as its own button (previous attempt did not have this.) In it I had everything else checked, including Stiebler's, except: Realistic Repair Time(documentation says incompatible with NYGM, which has its own) and Bad Weather Fix(I think this needs to be off for some of Stiebler's fixes, right?). Additionally there was an option that was turned off by default named Diesel Damage Fix which I turned on, not sure if that is OK but I found nothing stating otherwise. I also set both Oxygen meters to 2.0, one being 2.5 initially.

I have some confusion about the order especially due to some documentation:

So is my activated mods list ok then, with EnvSimAct_10 after Stiebler4C? How about the Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME) which comes with the H.Sie patch if I recall correctly?

If it is of any use I noted that the "Smoke on the horizon!" modification mentioned in Stiebler4C documentation worked, I heard/saw that message for the first time (that 4C was not in use a day or two ago.) I have not tested the messages and wolfpacks yet.

Current JSGME activated mods, once crashed on loading, once played OK:
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
EnvSimAct_10

Hello;
- Use the "Bad Weather Fix" option only if you want to use H.sie's weather file instead of Stiebler's. Either weather file will work but with a 16k environment such as NYGM, you MUST use one or the other; no others. Reason being is because only these two weather files are coded to make the night vision fix work correctly. No others are.
Which one to use is strictly personal preference. They both do the job weather-wise.
But H.sie's supplement folder includes his EnvSim file and Stiebler's folder has an older EnvSim file (that does not have the night vision code). So if you want to use Stiebler's EnvSim 10 file you must install it after both H.sie's supplement folder and Stiebler's so it will overwrite their files.
That is what Stiebler is meaning in his documentation.
- The diesel damage mod is optional. Some like it, some not. I like it myself.
- The recommened O2 settings are left to right, 3.5 and 1.
- Your install order is correct except for the Stiebler and H.sie folders. Their order should be reversed with H.sie's applied first. Your patched .exe should be in Stiebler's folder.
Be sure to read the documentation with both H.sie's and Stiebler's mods. If the items there are not done correctly, etc. you will have game problems.
- In your JSGME options, BE SURE to enable the automatic rollback function.
Old 02-15-22, 05:59 PM   #21
yagura
Seaman

Icon1

Quote:
But H.sie's supplement folder includes his EnvSim file and Stiebler's folder has an older EnvSim file (that does not have the night vision code). So if you want to use Stiebler's EnvSim 10 file you must install it after both H.sie's supplement folder and Stiebler's so it will overwrite their files.

Your install order is correct except for the Stiebler and H.sie folders. Their order should be reversed with H.sie's applied first. Your patched .exe should be in Stiebler's folder. Be sure to read the documentation with both H.sie's and Stiebler's mods. If the items there are not done correctly, etc. you will have game problems.
So provided I change the order to.. :
(...)

EnvSimAct_10

.. and the items are done correctly in H.sie/Stiebler mods, then both the weather and night vision code should be OK?

Quote:
The recommened O2 settings are left to right, 3.5 and 1.

In your JSGME options, BE SURE to enable the automatic rollback function.
Argh! Using the Options Selector would mean a redo of a bunch of the items, or am I mistaken? At least one different .exe, if not more down the line that I do not remember by heart.

Did you mean the SH3 Commander automatic rollback? I have turned it on.
Old 02-15-22, 06:11 PM   #22
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
So provided I change the order to.. :
(...)

EnvSimAct_10

.. and the items are done correctly in H.sie/Stiebler mods, then both the weather and night vision code should be OK?

Argh! Using the Options Selector would mean a redo of a bunch of the items, or am I mistaken? At least one different .exe, if not more down the line that I do not remember by heart.

Did you mean the SH3 Commander automatic rollback? I have turned it on.

- Yes, your install order looks good and there should be no problem if the mods were put together correctly.
- No, you can use the option selector over and over if desired. I.e, you do a patrol and don't like a certain patch or do want one, just change it.
Simply copy the .exe file in your Stiebler folder (that is the only one you should be using to start the game) to where you have the options selector, make whatever change(s) you wish, and then copy the .exe again and put it back in the Stiebler folder and also the main game directory (which is where the Stiebler folder places it via JSGME).
Note; the options selector will remember whatever you had checked for whatever .exe file you use it with. In other words, you'll only have to change the O2 settings vs. rechecking everything all over again if you use the same .exe file as before.
- Correct, the Commander rollback. Sounds like you're all set in that regard.
Old 02-15-22, 06:27 PM   #23
yagura
Seaman

Icon14

Quote:
Simply copy the .exe file in your Stiebler folder (that is the only one you should be using to start the game) to where you have the options selector, make whatever change(s) you wish, and then copy the .exe again and put it back in the Stiebler folder and also the main game directory (which is where the Stiebler folder places it via JSGME).
As far as I know I have patched and moved the .exe's as required by the documentations, but I am sure I did not replace that vanilla sh3.exe myself in the main game directory. Should I? Or does JSGME take care of it for me completely (perhaps that is what you meant all along)? I always use SH3Commander to launch the game.

Just making sure I understand, I am very thankful for your help!
Old 02-15-22, 06:31 PM   #24
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
As far as I know I have patched and moved the .exe's as required by the documentations, but I am sure I did not replace that vanilla sh3.exe myself in the main game directory. Should I? Or does JSGME take care of it for me completely (perhaps that is what you meant all along)? I always use SH3Commander to launch the game.

Just making sure I understand, I am very thankful for your help!

As long as you have an sh3.exe in Stiebler's mod and apply the mod via JSGME, it will replace the vanilla .exe.
Look at the date of the .exe in your game. It should match the same date as the one in your Stiebler folder.
The only reason I mentioned replacing the one in your game directory above was to save you from disabling and then re-enabling Stiebler's mod via JSGME after an option selector change; simply placing the .exe in the game directory does the same thing and saves you this step.
Old 02-15-22, 06:45 PM   #25
yagura
Seaman

Quote:
As long as you have an sh3.exe in Stiebler's mod and apply the mod via JSGME, it will replace the vanilla .exe. Look at the date of the .exe in your game. It should match the same date as the one in your Stiebler folder.
Hey that's nice! For now I only have one or two more additional Qs if you have the time for it:

Some of the mods, e.g. NYGM3_New, contain additional optional mods like the Harbor Traffic Add-in. There are even some cases where those same mod folders are found in multiple locations, for example the Harbor Traffic one is also in the NYGM3_6F parent folder.

If I want to add those additionals, should I add them to the activated mods in JSGME immediately after whatever the parent folder happens to be (hypothetical example: NYGM3_New -> Harbor Traffic Add-in -> NYGM3_6F) or all after IABL/similar, & also should I in case of multiple same folders be choosing the one that is in the latest version, e.g. Harbor add-in from 3_6F instead of 3_New?
Old 02-15-22, 06:49 PM   #26
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Hey that's nice! For now I only have one or two more additional Qs if you have the time for it:

Some of the mods, e.g. NYGM3_New, contain additional optional mods like the Harbor Traffic Add-in. There are even some cases where those same mod folders are found in multiple locations, for example the Harbor Traffic one is also in the NYGM3_6F parent folder.

If I want to add those additionals, should I add them to the activated mods in JSGME immediately after whatever the parent folder happens to be (hypothetical example: NYGM3_New -> Harbor Traffic Add-in -> NYGM3_6F) or all after IABL/similar, & also should I in case of multiple same folders be choosing the one that is in the latest version, e.g. Harbor add-in from 3_6F instead of 3_New?

You can add them usually anytime after the main NYGM install, do not have to be with the parent folder, though I like to keep any NYGM mods I use all together for organization sake if nothing else.
I.e., after IABL/similar.
You're getting the idea ! Yes, in case of multiple versions of a mod use the latest version of it per your example.
Don't worry about asking any questions at any time. It can be confusing at times.
Old 02-15-22, 07:46 PM   #27
yagura
Seaman

Quote:
As long as you have an sh3.exe in Stiebler's mod and apply the mod via JSGME, it will replace the vanilla .exe.

Look at the date of the .exe in your game. It should match the same date as the one in your Stiebler folder.
Changing that .exe was easy (note: the Oxygen went only up to 3.0, should it by 3.0 or 2.5 for the left one?) and I feel I have it all set up ok, but there is still one uncertainty for me: the EnvSimAct_10 folder contains a different .exe, and as it is last in the JSGME list it is the one that replaces the main game directory .exe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvSimAct_v10_Readme.txt
Use the Options Selector provided with the H.sie V16B1 package to switch OFF H.sie's Bad Weather Fix in your SH3.exe file. Place your newly created SH3.exe file in this folder (EnvSimAct_10), where you can see the two envsim files mentioned above.
So what I have now for that .exe mentioned in the instruction above is an older one, with incorrect Oxygen and so on. Question is should that .exe be the same as the one I just modified (changed the Oxygen values and placed back in Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1 folder)?
Old 02-15-22, 07:58 PM   #28
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Changing that .exe was easy (note: the Oxygen went only up to 3.0, should it by 3.0 or 2.5 for the left one?) and I feel I have it all set up ok, but there is still one uncertainty for me: the EnvSimAct_10 folder contains a different .exe, and as it is last in the JSGME list it is the one that replaces the main game directory .exe.

So what I have now for that .exe mentioned in the instruction above is an older one, with incorrect Oxygen and so on. Question is should that .exe be the same as the one I just modified (changed the Oxygen values and placed back in Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1 folder)?

Get the latest Option Selector version here ,#13,to allow the correct O2 settings.
You really don't need an .exe in the EnvSim 10 folder. Only the Stiebler folder (or H.sie folder if only that is used) needs it.
If you're more comfortable having it in the EnvSim 10 folder, just put the latest .exe version you want to use in that, and don't have one in the Stiebler folder then.
It won't matter if you leave it in the Stiebler folder too as it will be overwrote by the EnvSim folder, but might as well keep things "clean" and not have an unnecessary file in the Stiebler folder.
Old 02-15-22, 10:33 PM   #29
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

One other thing since you're using Commander. Be sure to use the latest version of NYGM Commander files.
These are found in the documentation folders you mentioned earlier.
Old 02-16-22, 07:29 AM   #30
yagura
Seaman

Looks like everything is working well after following your advice!

Current mod list:
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)
Harbor Traffic Add-In
1500 meter bearing overlay
Enhanced Nav Map Plotting Tools
CaptainAmericaOfficerIcons
Anvart_Stiebler_TurmsR01R02
EnvSimAct_10

Some mods I will be trying out:
EAX Sound Simulation SH3
Thomsen's Sound Pack v3.2 (or Das Boot Sound Mod)
depth charge noise - Rev A- master.7z (or v2, though I think this is the newer version)
Das boot officer icons
The MaGui mod (I am quite sure this is the 'Makman Final GUI' I was talking about earlier)

Last edited by yagura; 02-16-22 at 09:03 AM.

Tags
bug, graphical problems, help with mod, help!, nygm